General Automotive Discussion

I hate used car dealers

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 06:39 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by BIGKEN
AHHHHHHHH...what a surprise...another "All Car Salesmen Suck Thread". Perhaps they can be automatically combined into one. I wonder if there is a salesman out there that is worth a damn???
That's not true Ken but we've all had a good and bad experiences. You can't blame a customer for trying to keep as much money as possible, after all, the dealer and the sales person are trying to make as much as possible.

Ken, I'll wager that the majority of your sales are referrals and returns and if so, that speaks volumes for you. I've known many who barely touch a phone and write their own deals. This is an accomplishment.

I've also known many who butterfly from dealer to dealer and can't seem to settle anywhere.

I helped my daughter do a deal on a 2015 Fusion. All the salesmen cared about was getting her to divulge what she wanted to pay per month. I instructed Samantha to never answer that question.

I told the salesperson that we will do the deal at $100 over minus Ford's incentive of $1500 and the 0% financing for 72 months and the payment will fall in line. He just wouldn't let it go and kept asking stating that he can't do the deal without that information. Well, it got done and what happened was the dealer didn't make as much on this one as they wanted. Too bad, it was my referral.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:14 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I did not know I started another salesmen thread.... Just trying to figure out what in the World is going on, bought vehicles before but something is missing. I found one new truck that matched what I wanted years ago, the guy wouldn't give me the price to get it out his door. Told me if that is what I wanted, who cares what it costs.... that is the one guy I drug by his tie across the desk as I exited....

So back to the original, we have 6 vehicles on the list and a wad of cash for the weekend. Might happen, might not.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:49 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
We brought back an 04 jeep liberty clean as a pin, I tried my best to find something wrong. Out of 6 vehicles I was really getting tired at looking. From bad transmissions, cracked windshields, power steering problems and front axle grinds I was ready to give up.... Funny thing is we bought this one in the South Columbus Ohio area where any man would fear to go, and it was perfect. Time will tell but she is happy.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:41 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Funny thing is we bought this one in the South Columbus Ohio area where any man would fear to go, and it was perfect. Time will tell but she is happy.
Hey---its not that bad an area---well, depending which part and what time it was.

Columbus's west side can be a real shooting gallery especially at night when its warmer.

Glad you got something bought---makes life easier at least for the moment.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:50 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Got it on the lift yesterday and changed oil, will do the transmission Wednesday. Found a misfire on #6, changed the plugs and coil on 6, upper ball joint drivers side is worn but not out. Pleased so far and Jeep has a recall to install a rear hitch to protect the gas tank from a rear impact... Free! including installation..

Now that I have seen most of everything and a service interval going, it looks to be a decent vehicle. Will pull down the brakes and clean them up, do an oil change on the power steering and get on track with service per manufacturer recommendations.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:53 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by JWA
Hey---its not that bad an area---well, depending which part and what time it was.

Columbus's west side can be a real shooting gallery especially at night when its warmer.

Glad you got something bought---makes life easier at least for the moment.

Alum Creek Drive right by the State Patrol and Sherriff's office, I think they had a shooting while I was there.....

Old 03-03-2015, 07:03 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Alum Creek Drive right by the State Patrol and Sherriff's office, I think they had a shooting while I was there.....
Only one?

Cripes we've had those shooter morons invade Eastland Mall's food court---times they are a changin'...............

Old 09-01-2015, 05:57 PM
ironman1977
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new dealers are turning into dicks as well!the attitude just keeps getting worse over time and there is no point in it! before we know it trucks will be 100k and 80k trucks will be a bargin. i read the other day that the avg car payment now is $500-$600 a month.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:42 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by ironman1977
new dealers are turning into dicks as well!the attitude just keeps getting worse over time and there is no point in it! before we know it trucks will be 100k and 80k trucks will be a bargin. i read the other day that the avg car payment now is $500-$600 a month.
One of the biggest causes for this sort of thing is people---or sheeple---don't refuse to put up with it. If more simply stood their ground and/or walked out during the BS negotiations we'd NOT have dealers knowing they can get away with it all.

Sadly the sheeple are lured in with the new car shiny nice smell, get further seduced with ease most can get higher risk financing at which point the real cost of the car/truck is greatly obscured by "low monthly payment......" When sheeple think only of the monthly cost instead of the full and final cost it only natural dealerships and manufacturers alike will cite or establish higher "suggested retail price".

So if you don't like the deal at one place walk the hell out---in as grand a fashion as you choose. One dealership is NOT the only outlet for a new vehicle so don't return to those you've had bad dealings with.

But then again I'll NEVER buy a new vehicle so none of this applies to me. Well the part about walking out does----that's far more effective than anyone fully realizes, even if it's to avoid buy something for more than you really want to pay.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:36 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA
One of the biggest causes for this sort of thing is people---or sheeple---don't refuse to put up with it. If more simply stood their ground and/or walked out during the BS negotiations we'd NOT have dealers knowing they can get away with it all.

Sadly the sheeple are lured in with the new car shiny nice smell, get further seduced with ease most can get higher risk financing at which point the real cost of the car/truck is greatly obscured by "low monthly payment......" When sheeple think only of the monthly cost instead of the full and final cost it only natural dealerships and manufacturers alike will cite or establish higher "suggested retail price".

So if you don't like the deal at one place walk the hell out---in as grand a fashion as you choose. One dealership is NOT the only outlet for a new vehicle so don't return to those you've had bad dealings with.

But then again I'll NEVER buy a new vehicle so none of this applies to me. Well the part about walking out does----that's far more effective than anyone fully realizes, even if it's to avoid buy something for more than you really want to pay.

I couldn't have said it better. Walking out is simply the most effective tool you have.

Too many folks go car shopping on a whim and don't even know if they can get financed at a reasonable rate by a reputable lender. Establish your own financing options before you even start walking on a dealer's lot and you will be in total control of the deal.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:02 AM
scodd
Freshman User
If a salesperson takes advantage of a person’s ignorance or naivetéand sells them something based on deceit that is wrong. That is certainlynothing new and of course doesn't just apply with car sales. Nowadays there areso many legitimate places to get goodinformation/validation/verification such as forums like this, it isreally hard to blame anyone but yourself at this point in most cases. WhenI go to a lot/shop/market/auction for something I normally know exactly what Iwant and how much I will pay for it. As long as you know how much what you wantis worth to you, there really shouldn't be an issue if you use common sense andnever buy on impulse. Most of the bad decisions I have seen people make on purchases are not the result of the salesperson, but a result of the buyer's impulsiveness.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:38 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by scodd
Most of the bad decisions I have seen people make on purchases are not the result of the salesperson, but a result of the buyer's impulsiveness.
That last part is very, very true however let us not forget the salesman's job is to facilitate those impulsive decisions. Which reminds me of a friend who was screwed over by a Harley snake..........

He thought he was interested in a gently used something, the sales guy hammering him what a fantastic deal on the perfect bike he was getting. Since the salesman loved my buddy this one-time get it quick deal was just for him---the general public would NEVER be offered such a deal. (This was their first and only meeting BTW. )

My friend was a bit hesitant but nearly 100% sure he wanted this deal. Being it was late in the day Friday he wanted to think on it a bit, was willing to lose the deal if that's the way things worked out. He leaves the dealership but once home the salesman calls saying he wanted him to have that bike, would hold it for the weekend IF he just gave him his social security number, promised to NOT run the credit app and get him approved. My buddy was a great credit risk, had no fears any loan would go through. All this over the phone mind you.

Come Monday morning my friend calls the salesman, says after thinking it all over he wasn't going to buy the bike. The salesman then informs him the bike was his, "someone" in the dealership had run his SSN on the credit app and it was instantly approved----the bike was his, paperwork already in the works etc etc.

After a few terse words, the salesman being reminded he'd promised to NOT pull this BS claimed it wasn't his fault, nothing could be down now. More terse words, the "sales manager/finance guy" gets on the line. They negotiated a half-assed buyout to the tune of $800 to be paid in cash to back out of the deal. With no choice that he knew of he paid up to avoid any longer term BS, totally convinced the done deal was iron clan and not reversible.

There were clear threats if he didn't pay up his credit would be wrecked because he'd be in default for backing out of a deal they claimed he in fact had authorized----he felt trapped and scared to become a bad credit risk.

It was only after all this I learned of it all otherwise I could have advised him to take another route, anything BUT hand them cash for a BS maneuver. While he could have use Ohio's major purchase 3 day rescind rule he felt it best to get this resolved quickly.

I just hope he learned his lesson---he's not a spring chicken by any means---but its how some of these crooks make a fast buck. Rarely does anyone contest it enough to have them back down so they "win", by any means necessary.

Sad tale but true..................

Old 09-04-2015, 12:07 PM
scodd
Freshman User
Did they have his signature? If the guy never signed anything and then had to PAY to back out of a deal he never agreed to, he is an idiot. Or did I miss something?

Old 09-05-2015, 07:34 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by scodd
Did they have his signature? If the guy never signed anything and then had to PAY to back out of a deal he never agreed to, he is an idiot. Or did I miss something?
That's the part of the story I might not be privvy to-----its possible he did sign something, can't be sure. As much as I like and respect him he's sometimes a don't look before he leaps so anything is possible.

Who knows but the idea the dealer seemingly ignored his plan to wait was the real point, that they still profited from shady policies and/or sales people.