1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Advice needed for a rookie 1950 Ford F2

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:40 PM
Muppy1840
More Turbo
Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm not sure all the trucks that had boxes had long running boards. I recently bought a 48 F-68 and it has short running boards.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:58 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Muppy1840
I'm not sure all the trucks that had boxes had long running boards. I recently bought a 48 F-68 and it has short running boards.

And if you look at the rear fender in the second picture, you can see the holes the original running boards bolted in to.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:52 AM
Muppy1840
More Turbo
Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Yes I see the holes in the fenders but either it was a special order or the dealer changed them.They have definitely been on there since the truck was new or next to new. There is no indication that there were any running boards attached to the rear fenders. Also the wear pattern from the road spray from the front tires is consistent on both sides. Imo. Anyways I didn't mean to Hijack this thread. Good catch Joe.

Left side

Right side.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:58 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
That's very interesting. I didn't know any trucks with rear fenders were sold with the short running boards.

EDIT: But any truck with a dump box on it would have to have the short running boards. So there we have it.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:39 AM
DocRoche
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Either way I dont think the longer running boards are a requirement. If I find a nice enough box it can bolt on and wait for running boards. That stuff is down a bit on the list. Im sure both the box and boards will be a challenge to find.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:27 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,486 Posts
The Canadian truck may have come to the dealer as a cab and chassis and thus the short running boards. The dealer may have added the box later in order to please the customer or to sell it.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:00 PM
DocRoche
Senior User
Originally Posted by Skalywag
Your fan and generator will mount on the front of the intake manifold, hardware is actually part of the generator and fan assy. Just need the long bolt and flat washer to tie it all together. Hope this helps and good luck with your project.
Any idea the size of this longbolts and flat washers? I dont have the parts disk yet and can't find anything on it.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:10 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 617 Likes on 383 Posts
Do you know what you're missing on the gen/fan yet? A picture would help.
This shows the setup off the manifold. (with a generator is basically identical)

Old 02-26-2015, 02:13 PM
DocRoche
Senior User
That picture is perfect. I have the complete fan and mount. No generater or Generater mount. I am going to prob get an alternater. Just needed an idea of how the fan mounted to the alternator/generater mount. Thank you.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:40 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Before you spend even 1.00 or 1 hr's time on it, take the paperwork to your DMV and obtain a clear title in your name. The feds are pressing the states to tighten up their titling process and so the rules are getting more onerous by the day. Without a clear title that matches the serial # stamped on the frame, or a new serial # issued by your state you may never be able to resell it or license it for the street, or if the frame # comes up on a hot sheet somewhere the entire truck could be confiscated from you. Don't wait or try to circumvent the DMV's rules no matter what anyone tells you.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:23 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would try to get the engine to run to see it's condition before I spent
a dime doing anything else. Than you will know if your buying parts for
this engine or a later one.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:56 PM
DocRoche
Senior User
Found out the truck will be here Tuesday. So hopefully my next post will be pictures. My last dilemma is storing. I originally thought it might fit in my father-in-laws garage (I am in the process of selling my house) but apparently it won't. As of now that leaves outside in the snow as my option. Since it's been in North Dakota, I'm sure its used to it. But is there anything I should do? Tarp, methods of keeping mice away, anything? Theres no windshield or back glass yet so not sure I should tarp it or leave it out. It won't be anywhere near the roads so salt won't be an issue. Any advice would be much appreciated and pics will come soon!

Old 03-01-2015, 06:23 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,486 Posts
I would definitley throw a tarp over it. It is a simple thing to do and will keep snow and water out of your cab.

I don't think mice will be a problem at this time of year out in the cold. Don't they hibernate or at least bunker down for the winter?

Old 03-05-2015, 06:20 PM
DocRoche
Senior User
I know several of you were asking about the engine. I was able today to pull the spark plugs and try to turn the engine with a breaker bar. It does move. It took some muscle but by no means full force. I dont know if thats good or bad, but I thought id update everyone. Any takes on this would be nice. Good sign? Bad sign?

Old 03-05-2015, 08:41 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
With the spark plugs removed, you should be able to turn the engine over with slight resistance . Sounds like you may have a good engine. Not being locked up is a big plus. You could still have a valve or two stuck. Most of the time marvel mystery oil will free those up, depending on how long it has been sitting. These engines have been known to run quite well with all sorts of problems that are discovered after a tear down. If your engine is turning over, I would put fresh oil in it, check all of the electrical and try to fire it up. You don't need the generator or fan to fire it, but you won't be able to run it long if it starts. Don't let it run more than about 30 sec. With all of that said, as a young kid, I have seen a lot of vehicles parked and never ran again due to something as simple as the starter failing. I'm 66, and people junked cars or just quit driving them for a lot of reasons. You could buy a good running used car for $75. back then. Hope this helps. And good luck.

Quick Reply: Advice needed for a rookie 1950 Ford F2