Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help after porting heads with sand.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 07:57 AM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Hahahaha, good troll job of the Day!
If you did that, then guess you learned the thats why you do a proper port job.
I'm sorry I'm bustin a gut right now lmao

Old 02-23-2015, 08:19 AM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Once the initial porting is done, you can polish things up by using a powdered cleanser like Comet or Bar Keepers Friend. Makes it look like a mirror in there. Just did mine, runs a little rough now but it is getting so much air now is why. Need to tune it now or just run some sand through the injectors to open them up a little.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:35 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Wait, which sand blasting media did you use??

Damn man, I hope you didn't use the plastic media or the silicon carbide media! You have to use the crushed glass grit or glass beads media!!

Oh man, oh man, oh man, I pray you used the glass because if you didn't, you're in for a long rebuild.

Dooooood.......even the walnut shells are too much!!

Stewart
Good advice given there, Stewart! I'd rep ya', but I'm in Time Out right now.

Pop

Old 02-23-2015, 08:36 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
As an added benefit, You can hone the cylinders at the same time!

Old 02-23-2015, 08:52 AM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't have any sandblasting sand, but I did have lots of sand paper. So I set my paper shredder over the intake and fed it sheets while my wife held the throttle open. My yard looks like a volcano erupted with all the black ash, but that's good for the grass, right? Oh yea, what does the yellow check engine, the red engine, and the little red thing that looks like a genie lamp mean?

Old 02-23-2015, 09:20 AM
F-erOnlyRunsDwnhill
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eakermeld
I didn't have any sandblasting sand, but I did have lots of sand paper. So I set my paper shredder over the intake and fed it sheets while my wife held the throttle open. My yard looks like a volcano erupted with all the black ash, but that's good for the grass, right? Oh yea, what does the yellow check engine, the red engine, and the little red thing that looks like a genie lamp mean?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! This is my favorite reply so far xD

Old 02-23-2015, 09:23 AM
aj88V
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
well, i know exactly what you did wrong.
the process you used works for the smaller honda engines, but not for the large engines found in fords. to use regular sandblasting sand to port and polish the intake and exhaust in a ford, you first need to mix the sand with a lubricant, preferably 50 weight high detergent motor oil.
the oil supplies the needed lubrication, and the high detergent content helps keep the area clean.
Good advice, but 50 weight seems kind of heavy. I'd try straight 30 weight, Motorcraft preferred.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:29 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,162 Likes on 2,206 Posts
Originally Posted by aj88V
Good advice, but 50 weight seems kind of heavy. I'd try straight 30 weight, Motorcraft preferred.
location, location, location.

while you are correct that we have to use 30W oil here in the northeast where it is cold, the original poster is in californication where it is warm, so 50W is required.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:01 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by eakermeld
Got some help over at Pirate 4X4.
They said the check engine light means just that, go check and see if it is still there. Now that I have a high HP engine, they tend to get up and run off by themselves. Hood locks are a good idea.
They said the red engine light means it is now race-ready. Red means race. So does the R on the shifter. D is for Drag Race. Start in D and shift to R at 90 mph.
They said the genie lamp IS a genie lamp! I wish all my vehicles had one. Wait, did I just use up my wishes?

Old 02-23-2015, 07:10 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 984 Likes on 776 Posts
I gotz a question... could a feller polish a crank this way too?

Old 02-23-2015, 07:21 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 88F15095F150
SUPER Fake. I have seen this floating around the internet for almost ten years now.
WTF bud, did you miss post #6 above? My post?

This is NOT fake, you just have to use the correct media!

Stewart

Old 02-23-2015, 07:23 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Conanski
I gotz a question... could a feller polish a crank this way too?
Sure you can. All you need is the proper oil. Pour in the sand and add 10 oil for .010 thousands, 20 oil for .020 thousands, and so on. If you need to polish different amounts on different places on the crankshaft, just use something like 10-30. It will find the bad spots by itself. Or so I've heard anyway.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:48 PM
ewalt98
Senior User
Originally Posted by ponykilr
Need to tune it now or just run some sand through the injectors to open them up a little.
Bingo, you need to port match the injectors as well, since the now polished intake will flow (pool) fuel so much better. With the extra fuel pooling in the intake, stepping on the accelerator quickly will give you a huge immediate boost.
I always weld a bung onto the fuel rail and feed sand through it when I port and polish the intake and exhaust. This also works for carb'd engines. Note, it doesn't work as well to just pour the sand in the tank, though I figured out why.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:37 PM
rowdyredneck
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I discovered a quick and easy way to turbocharge my engine by simply rerouting the exhaust and connecting it directly to the intake. I figured all that pressure coming out of the exhaust pipe was going to waste, so why not make use of it as boost? As an added benefit my engine now produces ZERO emissions!

Old 02-23-2015, 09:20 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rowdyredneck
I discovered a quick and easy way to turbocharge my engine by simply rerouting the exhaust and connecting it directly to the intake. I figured all that pressure coming out of the exhaust pipe was going to waste, so why not make use of it as boost? As an added benefit my engine now produces ZERO emissions!
Al Gore will be so happy!

Quick Reply: Help after porting heads with sand.