6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Trade 2011 F250, Build Date 05/2010?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 03:40 PM
hikeril
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trade 2011 F250, Build Date 05/2010?

The warranty will be expiring on my 2011 F250 6.7L in September which brings up the questions of trading prior to the warranty expiring. The truck was built on 5/13/2010, I purchased 9/27/2010 fortunately the 13th was a Thursday and not a Friday. It has been a GREAT truck however it has low miles, 22,000. I use only for towing a camper, initially a 10,000lb 5th wheel but downsized to a 7,000lbs TT. I know most threads I read are based on challenges with the truck versus how great they are although I know there are plenty of great reviews as well. It is because of the forums I'm considering trading to a 2015 to have the warranty on the engine. I will stay with Ford and the 6.7.

History: Sunroof leaked at time of purchase due to disconnected drainage hose. Challenges with shifting mainly missing a gear as if it goes into neutral (it is better and has not done in over a year). Replaced ford Logo located on front grill. Replaced shocks (my expense). The most concerning was on 9/5 of last year when the check engine light illuminated on my way camping. Took to dealer and they replaced a sensor, not exactly sure what sensor it was but nonetheless it was replaced. Oil changes, filters and air filters my expense.

Based on reading the forums I do have a few concerns because of the early build date. What would you do?

Old 02-21-2015, 04:13 PM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Dump it for a 2nd gen 6.7 or a gasser since your new TT is so light. You should get a decent trade amount for it given the low miles.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:53 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I still have my May 2010 build. My current plan is to keep it and extend the ESP warranty in April instead of purchasing a new truck if my dealer will do that.
That's yet to be determined since I haven't asked but I should be able to go from the 5 year to the 7 year. It would have been cheaper to do that up front but planning 7 years in the future on a vehicle is difficult.

Warranty has covered all of my issues (which have been more than the cost of the ESP). I have 67,000 miles. I don't know that I'll keep it over 100,000 though.
This one could blow up or I could get a 2015 that is faulty...I've learned there is no way to plan for that and so far, mine is running great as far as I can tell.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:58 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I feel that you should keep it. It's a LOT cheaper to purchase the ford extended factory warranty than it is to buy a new truck. The ford esp should be available to you and should give you the very same warranty coverage you have now until you reach 200,000 miles. I do not know what the time cut off is which obviously will be what you are going to be going by.

Yes, there is a chance that the engine will blow due to a dropped valve but I don't think you will ever reach that point based on the number of miles you've driven in the last 5 years.

Another thing to consider, take the money that you would have spent on a new truck and pay to have the exhaust valves updated and glow plugs replaced. I don't know what it costs but would be a good thing to do.

Now, if you just want a new truck for the heck of it? By all means, the 2015 models are very nice and it's the last year before the major redesign..

Old 02-21-2015, 06:27 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I was not able to purchase the ESP after 3 years of owning the vehicle. After the original warranty is over you cannot purchase an ESP, whether by miles or years. Check of course, but I was in your boat. A low mileage 2011 out of warranty. Because trade in was high and I needed to do at least a couple of thousand of dollars of work in the 2011 - I put no money down and still have a lower payment with a brand new truck.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:46 PM
dmags
Senior User
trade

If it is possible dump it for all the money and upgrade
I have been doing it the last 10+ years and couldn't be happier
Late model + low miles = $$$$
I can't wat til '17

Old 02-21-2015, 07:25 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakster
I was not able to purchase the ESP after 3 years of owning the vehicle. After the original warranty is over you cannot purchase an ESP, whether by miles or years. Check of course, but I was in your boat. A low mileage 2011 out of warranty. Because trade in was high and I needed to do at least a couple of thousand of dollars of work in the 2011 - I put no money down and still have a lower payment with a brand new truck.
Whelp, looks like my opinion is useless. Oh well. Good luck with whatever you decide. I didn't think about the original warranty timeout.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:47 PM
Grunttorque
Senior User
I'm in the same boat. Mine's an April 2010 build with 36k miles.. I'm leaning toward keeping it and rolling the dice. My only issue is I have a turbo hooting noise on cold starts they keep telling me is normal.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:11 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
There are a lot of folks with 2011 with over 100,000 miles and only minor repairs that I would expect from ANY vehicle with 100,000 miles.

It's low mileage, the trucks are holding up well. Unless there is a feature you desire in the 2015's, I'd keep it.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:57 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hikeril
The warranty will be expiring on my 2011 F250 6.7L in September which brings up the questions of trading prior to the warranty expiring. The truck was built on 5/13/2010, I purchased 9/27/2011 fortunately the 13th was a Thursday and not a Friday. It has been a GREAT truck however it has low miles, 22,000. I use only for towing a camper, initially a 10,000lb 5th wheel but downsized to a 7,000lbs TT. I know most threads I read are based on challenges with the truck versus how great they are although I know there are plenty of great reviews as well. It is because of the forums I'm considering trading to a 2015 to have the warranty on the engine. I will stay with Ford and the 6.7.

History: Sunroof leaked at time of purchase due to disconnected drainage hose. Challenges with shifting mainly missing a gear as if it goes into neutral (it is better and has not done in over a year). Replaced ford Logo located on front grill. Replaced shocks (my expense). The most concerning was on 9/5 of last year when the check engine light illuminated on my way camping. Took to dealer and they replaced a sensor, not exactly sure what sensor it was but nonetheless it was replaced. Oil changes, filters and air filters my expense.

Based on reading the forums I do have a few concerns because of the early build date. What would you do?
sorry, have to ask, the base warranty is 3yr, 36,000 miles whichever comes first. Sept 2011 purchase makes Sept 2014 the 3 yr cutoff. So I think the warranty has already ended.

My 2012 was purchased in Nov 2012, so I have til Nov this year.
I have only 21000 miles. I will purchase the premium care coverage shortly. I cannot roll the dice. Another member just posted his gory experience with engine failure and he is eating the cost.. $14,000 and counting. I cannot come up with that.

I'd check on what the 2015 upgrade would cost you, the low miles could be a good offset.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:02 PM
hikeril
Freshman User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
sorry, have to ask, the base warranty is 3yr, 36,000 miles whichever comes first. Sept 2011 purchase makes Sept 2014 the 3 yr cutoff. So I think the warranty has already ended.

My 2012 was purchased in Nov 2012, so I have til Nov this year.
I have only 21000 miles. I will purchase the premium care coverage shortly. I cannot roll the dice. Another member just posted his gory experience with engine failure and he is eating the cost.. $14,000 and counting. I cannot come up with that.

I'd check on what the 2015 upgrade would cost you, the low miles could be a good offset.
I thought the 6.7l has a 5 year warranty or 100000 miles. Can anyone confirm?

Old 02-22-2015, 12:13 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Only engine, very specific set of stuff
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...l#post15083507

Your vehicle’s direct injection diesel engine and certain enginecomponents are covered during the PowerStroke Diesel Engine Coverage
Period, which lasts for five years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs
first. The following parts are covered during this extended coverage
period: the engine, cylinder block, heads and all internal parts, intake
and exhaust manifolds, timing gear, harmonic balancer, valve covers, oil
pan and pump, water pump, fuel system (excluding fuel lines, fuel tank
and frame mounted fuel conditioning module sometimes referred to as
the frame mounted pump/filter/water separator), high pressure lines,
gaskets and seals, glow plugs, turbocharger, two-stage turbocharger
assembly, turbocharger actuator, powertrain control module, engine
control module, high pressure fuel injection pump assembly, electronic
driver unit, injectors, injection pressure sensor, fuel rail pressure sensor
high pressure oil regulator, exhaust back pressure regulator and sensor,
exhaust pressure sensor, manifold pressure sensor, intake air
temperature sensor, crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor,
accelerator switch.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:28 PM
hikeril
Freshman User
Only engine, very specific set of stuff
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...l#post15083507

Your vehicle’s direct injection diesel engine and certain enginecomponents are covered during the PowerStroke Diesel Engine Coverage
Period, which lasts for five years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs
first. The following parts are covered during this extended coverage
period: the engine, cylinder block, heads and all internal parts, intake
and exhaust manifolds, timing gear, harmonic balancer, valve covers, oil
pan and pump, water pump, fuel system (excluding fuel lines, fuel tank
and frame mounted fuel conditioning module sometimes referred to as
the frame mounted pump/filter/water separator), high pressure lines,
gaskets and seals, glow plugs, turbocharger, two-stage turbocharger
assembly, turbocharger actuator, powertrain control module, engine
control module, high pressure fuel injection pump assembly, electronic
driver unit, injectors, injection pressure sensor, fuel rail pressure sensor
high pressure oil regulator, exhaust back pressure regulator and sensor,
exhaust pressure sensor, manifold pressure sensor, intake air
temperature sensor, crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor,
accelerator switch.
Thanks! The engine is my concern and thought it was 5yr/100,000.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:35 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by hikeril
Thanks! The engine is my concern and thought it was 5yr/100,000.
I think your original post meant purchased 9/27/2010

right?

Old 02-22-2015, 01:50 PM
hikeril
Freshman User
I think your original post meant purchased 9/27/2010

right?
You are correct, it was purchased 9/27/2010. thanking you for bringing it to my attention as I didn't realize I used the incorrect date.

Quick Reply: Trade 2011 F250, Build Date 05/2010?