Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
No maf either.
Did it try to accel or just idel?

Old 02-22-2015, 09:44 PM
Az_Green_Machine
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just idled. I drove it later and had no issues. So how does the engine determine how much fuel to add to the air mixture?

Old 02-22-2015, 10:03 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Computer operated, inputs from sensors and throttle position.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:03 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder if you have a ivs problem (idle validation switch). If it's sticking it would give you this exact problem.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:42 AM
Az_Green_Machine
Senior User
OK so had the same issue this morning. When to make a left from the same stop sign truck had no power seemed to stay like it was ideling, pedal did nothing then it dropped from about 600rpm to 300rpm and then died. So what I've decided to do is stop stopping at the stop sign people should be out at 5am anyway.

But seriously, IVS? I'll look into that. See about getting a replacement today. Called O'Reilly they can't seem to figure out an IVS. But they could find a TPS and it's $50. I need to try and get this sorted out tonight or tomorrow

Old 02-23-2015, 11:07 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Sorry I was under the impression that it stayed idling. I didn't realize that it actually died. Ivs won't cause the truck to die

Old 02-23-2015, 12:46 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Az_Green_Machine
OK so had the same issue this morning. When to make a left from the same stop sign truck had no power seemed to stay like it was ideling, pedal did nothing then it dropped from about 600rpm to 300rpm and then died. So what I've decided to do is stop stopping at the stop sign people should be out at 5am anyway.

But seriously, IVS? I'll look into that. See about getting a replacement today. Called O'Reilly they can't seem to figure out an IVS. But they could find a TPS and it's $50. I need to try and get this sorted out tonight or tomorrow

Looks like you have almost the same machine as me...mine had the lund visor on it at one time but the PO took it off.

From what I have read on here becareful getting sensors from place that are not ford or international.... most seem to be chinese knock offs with sketchy quality....

The dieing issue from what I have read is comon symptom of a cps (cam position sensor- $27 from ford or navistar) or low oil pressure.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:18 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
I dont think low oil pressure will play a part in this. Although it can be low pressure on the hpo system. I'd try the cam sansor first. Also check to see if your fuel filter is black.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:22 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
IVS is next to impossible to find. Put your ear near the go pedal and as you just pushing it, you should hear a click.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:26 PM
Az_Green_Machine
Senior User
ok gonna order a Cam sensor. my brother said he changed it about 2 years ago, BDW brand sensor. i'll head out now and check the filter, but i doubt its that. I replaced that before the truck sat.

My brother claims to have swapped in a Motorcraft and the BDW and neither changed anything on the motor. gonna check fuel filter still. and perform an oil change tomorrow.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:38 PM
Az_Green_Machine
Senior User
Ok guys had a chance to work on the truck today. I changed the oil, oil filter and Fuel filter, oil was jet black and nasty, I added Sea foam to the oil this time and i'll change it next week once i get about 100 miles on it. the fuel filter was also nasty.

Drove the truck after changing these two things and it seems to be running a lot better. I may have also been low on oil, stick said it was in range but when I changed it i probably only got 10 quarts out. Also, I hate to admit this but that filter was screwed on tight, I actually had to go get a filter wrench for it

Old 02-25-2015, 06:43 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey there. Welcome to FTE! You'll like it here, lots of great guys that are eager to help and no snotty attitude like you get elsewhere.

That fuel filter is nasty! I think you'll be looking at injector o-rings soon. Run it a couple hundred miles and check the filter again. If it's black again or if the fuel in the bowl looks dark you're probably needing o-rings. Allow me to introduce you to your new best friend (and your checkbook's worst enemy). Riffraff Diesel carries a lot of OEM parts for these trucks and has some of the best customer service and prices around. The long and the short of it is that Riffraff won't steer you wrong on teh quality of the parts you're getting. Some of the stuff (well, most of the stuff) you get at the chain stores is of inferior quality and will cause you issues eventually on these trucks. Here's a link to the o-rings I mentioned above.

The way those injectors work they use engine oil, pressurized to around 3000 PSI to drive the injectors and spray the fuel. With bad o-rings, that HPO (High Pressure Oil) mixes with the fuel, and what doesn't get injected, gets returned to the fuel bowl, and then turns the fuel and filter all dirty and black. Most of these trucks are old enough now that the o-rings are dried out and cracked and they start leaking. It won't hurt much, but watch your oil level and that filter. If your oil level starts creeping slowly down, and the filter keeps getting dark like that you probably need to pop the injectors out and put fresh o-rings on them.

Wow! Less than 70k miles!? That thing is a GREAT foundation for you to build on. They're getting really hard to find with that kind of mileage on them. That truck in good condition and all cleaned up is a $15k truck around here.

Anyway, that's enough for now. Welcome to the site and congratulations on a nice truck. With a little TLC you'll have something really special there, especially since it's been in the family.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:18 PM
Az_Green_Machine
Senior User
With as dirty as the filter is would it be reasonable to assume the Diesel sitting in the bowl would be black, if it mixed with oil? maybe fuel doesnt stick around long enough to become discolored my the oil and it burns off. the fuel was clear, I almost thought I had a water issue lol. I'm planning on keeping an eye on the fuel filter, and i'll look into ordering those O-rings. how hard are they to replace?

Old 02-25-2015, 07:53 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure if i read that correctly, but your going to change the oil again after 100 miles? Ive never used seafoam though so im not sure what its for

Old 02-25-2015, 07:53 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Wow. 60k and them orings are GONE!!

Quick Reply: Working on the truck