Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2002 Powerstroke 7.3L no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 09:40 PM
ihfarmboy93
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2002 Powerstroke 7.3L no start

ok so i have had a lot of issues with wiring in this truck.. may stereo occasionally won't turn on for a few minutes n the windows won't work but after a bit they do and i just live with it.. but now I'm getting a no start at times.. i noticed it wen winter came it got worse.. i first noticed it and diagnosed no power to the fuel pump.. checked fuse.. it was fine.. checked wiring to fuse box.. all good.. fuse has power all the time even with ignition off so somewhere between the fuse box and the fuse box theres a problem.. i wired up a light to tell me wen the pump was on and an emergency switch in case i needed it.. after that it worked fine till i let it sit for a week in a heated shop.. now even with the pump hot wired it won't start but i hit the steering wheel a few times n the light came on and it started.. now that stopped working to.. I'm confused.. could this b the ignition??

i overhauled the engine 1.5 years ago cause my dad blew it up so i bought the truck from him.. new injectors new glow plugs new HPOP all from swamps diesel.. i spent $2000 trying to get the cruise working and it did no good so after that i decided no one works on my truck but me

Old 02-18-2015, 11:18 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ihfarmboy93
ok so i have had a lot of issues with wiring in this truck.. may stereo occasionally won't turn on for a few minutes n the windows won't work but after a bit they do and i just live with it.. but now I'm getting a no start at times.. i noticed it wen winter came it got worse.. i first noticed it and diagnosed no power to the fuel pump.. checked fuse.. it was fine.. checked wiring to fuse box.. all good.. fuse has power all the time even with ignition off so somewhere between the fuse box and the fuse box theres a problem.. i wired up a light to tell me wen the pump was on and an emergency switch in case i needed it.. after that it worked fine till i let it sit for a week in a heated shop.. now even with the pump hot wired it won't start but i hit the steering wheel a few times n the light came on and it started.. now that stopped working to.. I'm confused.. could this b the ignition??

i overhauled the engine 1.5 years ago cause my dad blew it up so i bought the truck from him.. new injectors new glow plugs new HPOP all from swamps diesel.. i spent $2000 trying to get the cruise working and it did no good so after that i decided no one works on my truck but me

Sounds as though you have an intermittent wiring issue in the steering wheel or thereabouts. The ignition switch would be a good place to start. the Clock Spring "may" be related to the Cruise Control as well.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:23 AM
ihfarmboy93
Freshman User
wen i had the cruise worked on the mechanic changed the steering wheel wiring twice n that included the clock spring.. the second time he changed it he said the old one wasn't bad he just changed it anyway then charged me 300 for a new wire... i wasn't real happy.. is there a possibility this cud also be the computer??? i changed it once and it fixed the cruise for like a month but then it quite again..

Old 02-19-2015, 10:20 AM
ihfarmboy93
Freshman User
ok now I wiggled the switch and it worked for a bit but then wen I wiggled a bit more it went off n never came back on.. looks to me like I need to change the whole steering colume to change the ignition n I really don't want to do that... any other ideas

Old 02-19-2015, 03:08 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ihfarmboy93
ok now I wiggled the switch and it worked for a bit but then wen I wiggled a bit more it went off n never came back on.. looks to me like I need to change the whole steering colume to change the ignition n I really don't want to do that... any other ideas
The Switch is replaceable.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:17 PM
ihfarmboy93
Freshman User
the key lock is replaceable and just pops out wen you push a button but the ignition part looks built in to the steering column.. if its replaceable please tell me how to get it apart

Old 02-20-2015, 12:05 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Is the lock cylinder, the piece that pops out, pushing the rod to the ignition switch. There is a tail piece at the end of the cylinder that can break off. If it's ok then your probably digging into the steering column. Could be the ignition unit or the push rods to it. Do you have tilt steering? 15 and 16 are listed as actuator assys. 5 is the switch.
http://www.oemfordpart.com/auto-part...nd-levers-scat

Old 02-20-2015, 08:00 AM
ihfarmboy93
Freshman User
ya i discovered how the switch comes apart this morning wen i went to take the wiring off.. its really simple.. great anti theft system they got i must say...lol i moved the ignition by hand and it didn't do any better then with the key so I'm fairly certain thats the problem.. i got an old blown 6.0 out back I've been ripping parts off for the last 5yrs and we easily got out $300 back that we paid for it..haha pry got $3000 worth of parts off it by now

Old 02-20-2015, 11:07 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
If the ignition switch doesn't do it, I would start looking at the GEM. They have been known to be a little touchy in the 2002 model year.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:32 PM
ihfarmboy93
Freshman User
ok the ignition wasn't the problem.. still won't start.. it will crank fine but the glow plugs don't even run... back wen it wud still start most of the time it wud cut out every now and then wen driving.. just for a split second.. i changed the cam sensor n that didn't fix it.. i just changed the dash gauges a few weeks ago.. they just stopped working.. but i had the no start problem before and after i did that.. i just took a used on out of that 6.0 and it worked but the heat gauge don't work..wen i run a test on the gauges it moves so i changed the sensor n that didn't help.. they are a yr apart n that might b why.. what is the GEM.. never heard of it

Old 02-20-2015, 01:19 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
When mine was cutting out intermittently the problem was the ignition switch. It's #5 in the diagram above. Mounts under the steering shaft, not where the key goes.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:54 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
The GEM is a generic electronic module. In the '02-'03 modle years I believe it replacedthe VSS, which was another module that controled electronics. The '02 year they have been known to be squirley. It is located in the dash behind the radio. I am sorry I don't have a diagram, but I am sure someone here does. You can probably searche GEM or VSS and get a lot of info on it.

Here is a list of acronyms for the future if you have questions about the abreviations we use.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...re-on-fte.html

Old 02-20-2015, 09:16 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Jason all over it except it's the VSM not VSS. Let's hope it's not the VSM since they need to be programmed for the specific vehicle by Ford or a competent tech with the right equipment.

Try laying a screwdriver across the big lugs of the GPR to energize the GPs for like 20 seconds, then try to start. If it starts at least ya narrowed down the issue to just the GP circuit.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:34 PM
ihfarmboy93
Freshman User
thank for that link to the site with the abbreviations.. only prob is they don't have VSM or GPR so I'm not any farther ahead to what your saying here yet... i can see it being the GEM because i have had probs with my stereo occasionally not working for a few yrs now so i might check that.. lets hope its cheaper then a CPM.. do you think an '03 one out of a 6.0 would work as a replacement???

Old 02-20-2015, 11:55 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Copied from another thread
VSM
vechilcle security module. My door ajar light is on again after replacing the instrument cluster for $700. The wd-40 is not the solution. It's the vsm.
Originally Posted by RAMPAGE_F350
If you have this combination of problems your VSM(Vehicle Security Module) is bad:
Door lock switches inside the truck don't work.
The dome light will not go out even while driving.
The auto headlights don't work.
The door locks will not auto lock at 5mph.
The radio stays on with the key out and the door is open.
The alarm works intermitantly.
The door ajar light will not come on with any door open.

Similar to a GEM but in later models.

GPR- Glow Plug Relay

Quick Reply: 2002 Powerstroke 7.3L no start