6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

stranded in winter

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 10:09 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
The 1-2 sensor on my truck threw a code, I was able to drive 4-5 more miles and when I put it in park it shut me down. After a 1 hour cool off, I cleared the codes and drove home. Was able to do this for several days until the mail order sensor arrived.

Sensor 1-4, shut me down in the middle of the street. After a 1 hour cool off and clearing codes. It ran for 40 seconds and shut me down again. There is no driving when this sensor goes bad.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:36 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by lundman
Coming back from being on National TV my 2011 f-250 diesel had the 60 second shutdown in the middle of nowhere. Minus 21 outside and stranded. Had a tow truck come within an hour luckily but no truck since Friday (4 days) Turns out it was a diesel exhaust sensor #4 and cost me $174. Looked it up on line and seems a problem is there. Ford was thinking of recalling over 200,000 trucks as they are failing quite regularly. One poor guy had his family and children with him and 5 horses and this Ford shut down in the desert in 109 degree temps. Didn't even know about this problem. Luckily I could pull off to the side as high snow banks but found a spot. That could put driver's in some serious danger. My truck got slower and slower until it just shut off. Talk about quick with no warning. Luckily I had cell service, otherwise could be very dangerous.
This worries me also. I am glad you and yours are OK.

I don't see anything that cold, but I do have my family in the back woods without cell phones and it does get cold. It could be a life ending event because of a cheap sensor. I would like to know if anyone has died because of this shutdown.

ON the recall no one really knows what it does except it changes when and how much DEF is used. I have also heard of better transmission shifting.

Ford need to tell us what they plan or don't plan to do on this issues.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:50 AM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,770 Posts
Originally Posted by donovan
This worries me also. I am glad you and yours are OK.

I don't see anything that cold, but I do have my family in the back woods without cell phones and it does get cold. It could be a life ending event because of a cheap sensor. I would like to know if anyone has died because of this shutdown.

ON the recall no one really knows what it does except it changes when and how much DEF is used. I have also heard of better transmission shifting.

Ford need to tell us what they plan or don't plan to do on this issues.
They obviously plan to keep acting like there is no issue.

The 14E03 recall is strictly due to emissions, nothing to do with the EGT sensor issues.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:21 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Has anyone checked to see if the other brands of diesel trucks have similar issues. Why is this only a Ford issue?

Old 02-18-2015, 04:07 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,770 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakster
Has anyone checked to see if the other brands of diesel trucks have similar issues. Why is this only a Ford issue?
I can tell you that the RAM's don't have EGT sensor issues.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:27 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I can tell you that the RAM's don't have EGT sensor issues.
When they do, it only throws a code! NOT a shutdown. Heck, even GM puts it into limp mode so you can operate at low speeds. I've wondered before if the reason Ford does this is because they don't use a 9th injector to do a regen, they use a bank of injectors.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:58 AM
Gunny77
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I need to get a few sensors and carry my code reader.
I do not want my truck shutting down in an intersection with my 38', 14k RV behind me.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:10 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Gunny77
I guess I need to get a few sensors and carry my code reader.
I do not want my truck shutting down in an intersection with my 38', 14k RV behind me.
Yep, and a 13mm flare wrench and you are set!

Old 02-25-2015, 04:12 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
The fiat might not get shut down by egt sensors, but it will get shut down every 50k when the dpf clogs solid

Old 02-25-2015, 05:31 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 2ndStroke
The fiat might not get shut down by egt sensors, but it will get shut down every 50k when the dpf clogs solid
We have over a million miles on our fleet Freightliners with the Cummins engine and not ONE single EGT sensor failure, nor DPF problem. It can be done. Just wonder why passenger vehicles do not get the same programs?!

Old 02-25-2015, 06:01 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
We have over a million miles on our fleet Freightliners with the Cummins engine and not ONE single EGT sensor failure, nor DPF problem. It can be done. Just wonder why passenger vehicles do not get the same programs?!
You asked and I am not bashing you at all, just giving you my .02.

Different regs for class 8, different motor design as well. Plus, the truck is only 2x-3x as expensive as "passenger" truck. Example, when Ford took an international motor and put their own electronics around it and bumped up the HP and TQ the motor was horrible. (6.0). Not too many people hot rod big rigs either. I know some do, but those are not the million mile workhorses...

Dodge had lots of problems with the 6.7 Cummins because of emissions too. To the point they got a waiver to get an additional year to become compliant.

They should be able to do it, they should be more reliable. Part of it is the ever changing EPA regs. Once they (manufactuer) finally figure it out, they get to figure it out again. If regs hadn't gotten so strict, we may seen some more years with the 7.3 Ford. Despite the EGT sensor issue, the 6.7 seems to be a pretty decent motor. I hope this latest flash fixes the being disabled on the side of the road because of a defective sensor issue we are having.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:52 PM
fski50
Junior User
Part number?

What is the EGT sensor part number to order?

Got the 13mm wrench in the truck already, though just a ratcheting box wrench. I plan to cut the wire and slide it over as shown in YouTube video. Hopefully the sensor broke off because heat annealed it causing metal to soften. I don't plan to torch it, just whack the wrench with 4 LB drilling hammer if need be.

Has anyone on here encountered this issue while prepared and commenced successful roadside repair?

Old 02-26-2015, 03:06 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by fski50
What is the EGT sensor part number to order?

Got the 13mm wrench in the truck already, though just a ratcheting box wrench. I plan to cut the wire and slide it over as shown in YouTube video. Hopefully the sensor broke off because heat annealed it causing metal to soften. I don't plan to torch it, just whack the wrench with 4 LB drilling hammer if need be.

Has anyone on here encountered this issue while prepared and commenced successful roadside repair?
I took sensors loose and put antiseize on them to help in removing them when needed. Here is the part number for the sensor.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:20 AM
Rattler1
Senior User
Originally Posted by golfmedik
I doubt many people use a tractor trailer as a daily driver like many do with the 6.7.

I imagine the epa could envision their demise if they required 80000 lb rigs to just shut down in the middle of the highway due to some assinine programming requirement.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:04 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Dakster
I hope this latest flash fixes the being disabled on the side of the road because of a defective sensor issue we are having.
From what I'm hearing is that it does nothing for the EGT sensors. I haven't read all of the other thread on here about it, but I got that consensus from the two dealers around here. But who really knows!