Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ponykilr's '96 F350 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 03:57 PM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like more http://www.ebay.com/itm/D-Ring-SOLID-Hitch-Receiver-Clevis-Adapter-10-000lb-2-Shank-Recover-Pulling-/231479502355?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35e540e613&vxp=mtrMight grab me one.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:59 PM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I did.

You're a bad influence Paul!

Good deal though.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:23 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Never heard of shaving the tires like that. Awesome idea though!

Nice find on the d ring shackle too. I may end up buying one.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:06 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My buddy has one of those and he has used it many times on his tow truck (around here you have so many vehicle you got to have a tow truck).

I would like one but I don't have a hitch on my 88. I guess that right their is a reason to mount the hitch I have for her.

Right now I have a cheap one like the one you described although it works it isn't the best.
Trav

Old 02-17-2015, 06:12 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
You've got a great write-up going here! Keep up the good work.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:28 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the compliments gentlemen. I really enjoy the hobby (for 30 years) and love talking and writing about it.

Glad you guys like the receiver shackle deal, it really is well made and should take brutal abuse. I am about to order another one too so when I do my front receiver I will have one for it.

I am a good influence Steve, just not a thrifty influence LOL

RedneckFord, be careful with that thin shackle, if it's like this other one I got.

Very thin, about 50% thinner than a normal trailer drawbar.

See the parting line, not sure if forged or just cast.
By the cheap chinese wrench sound it makes when tapped, I think cast.
Shackle is probably OK, but probably not USA made.

Text on side. Life is too short to use crap like this. May be forged but it is very thin and cheap feeling. Almost feels like pot metal.

I think it will be fine to use on my 20 year old John Deere 265 to pull some firewood logs.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:31 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
It is a little thicker then that but I am still careful with it. I only use it for moving the trucks around the yard which right now I can't do because I don't have a hitch on anything that I tow with till I get the hitch on the 90 F150.
Trav

Old 02-17-2015, 06:40 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ponykilr

Text on side. Life is too short to use crap like this. May be forged but it is very thin and cheap feeling. Almost feels like pot metal.

I think it will be fine to use on my 20 year old John Deere 265 to pull some firewood logs.

I don't know about that, those lawn tractors are pretty strong! Nothing Runs Like A DEERE!

Old 02-17-2015, 06:55 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by eakermeld
I don't know about that, those lawn tractors are pretty strong! Nothing Runs Like A DEERE!
That mower is a fine piece of equipment. I would not trade it for ANY brand new box store mower. It's a real Deere with Kawasaki engine. 46" cut is perfect for my property and it's got a hydro trans. I consider it one of the things I would never sell. Has only around 575 hours on it, not bad for the age. I have a John Deere dump trailer rated for 1600lbs and a JD pine straw rake and a spreader too.

I use the trailer to haul firewood up to the back porch and to ride out into my AO to scavenge pine straw from the neighbors

I wax it twice a year.....wife is jealous of it

Old 02-17-2015, 06:57 PM
Old Trusty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None argumentative Just a question...

Why not use the trailer ball? I have 20 yrs. without a problem?

Old 02-17-2015, 07:03 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ponykilr
That mower is a fine piece of equipment. I would not trade it for ANY brand new box store mower. It's a real Deere with Kawasaki engine. 46" cut is perfect for my property and it's got a hydro trans. I consider it one of the things I would never sell. Has only around 575 hours on it, not bad for the age. I have a John Deere dump trailer rated for 1600lbs and a JD pine straw rake and a spreader too.

I use the trailer to haul firewood up to the back porch and to ride out into my AO to scavenge pine straw from the neighbors

I wax it twice a year.....wife is jealous of it

So your mower is your mistress, eh? I know what you mean. I sold Deere parts and equipment for 12 years. I have actually seen a new tractor or lawn mower end a few marriages!

Old 02-17-2015, 07:25 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Old Trusty
None argumentative Just a question...

Why not use the trailer ball? I have 20 yrs. without a problem?
They are not rated for the kind of horizontal stress recovering a vehicle can produce. ***** are not in double shear like a shackle is. They will pop off like a bullet under fairly low stress. Maybe not this time, but could any time.

From ARB

Do not use a tow ball or tie down point as a recovery point. Tow ***** are not made of high tensile material and have been known to fail from stress, with the potential to become lethal missiles. If you are unsure of the type of recovery points on your vehicle, consult the manufacturer.

Glad this tailgate caught this one.

Here is a thread on it that makes better explanation than I did.

Tow ball as a recovery point? The answer is NO !!! - Australian Land Rover Owners

I knew a guy just casually who used to hang out at a place I did sometimes. His name was Kenny, I remember him mostly for his clean 86 Chevy on 44s, huge for back in those days (around 1990 or so). He was helping pull a tractor out of a stuck with a farm truck. Used a strap on the trailer ball. His head exploded when a 2lb "cannon ball" went through it. Needless tragedy when better stuff is readily available.

Also, trailer hitches themselves should be in good shape with good bolts into the frame. I would be careful of angled hard snatches as the hitches are designed for vertical and straight horizontal forces. Mine is a heavy built one with 5 grade 8 bolts per side into the frame.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:34 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
The same goes for having a cheap hook on a jerk strap. DON'T DO IT!

That hook can also become a lethal missile. Use straps with loops and buy high quality clevises.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:43 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by eakermeld
The same goes for having a cheap hook on a jerk strap. DON'T DO IT!

That hook can also become a lethal missile. Use straps with loops and buy high quality clevises.

True true true. Shackles only for this old boy, and actual rated straps that did not come from HF LOL.

If you use chain, and I do sometimes if not jerking, throw a blanket or jacket over it just in case it breaks.
This will slow it down and maybe not slap something silly.
Goes without saying, don't stand there gawking in range of the strap or chain.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:01 PM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
Hmm never thought about the ball being a weak point to that degree! If I know someone is truly stuck I use my big chain to yank them out. I can't remember the actual rating on it now but I'm pretty sure it is near 15k. The dang thing weighs about 80lbs for a 15ft chain. I have tow ropes as well that I keep with me but I use those on anything lighter than my truck.

Quick Reply: ponykilr's '96 F350 Build Thread