Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ponykilr's '96 F350 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 03:47 PM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good CL find!

Old 03-04-2015, 10:49 AM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I wasted $90 today. Totally my own fault for not looking closer.

Went to pick up some Super Duty front leaf springs advertised on CL. Supposed to be diesel U or V codes but truck is not on site. They looked pretty clean so I bought them. He grabbed one and I grabbed the other and we put them into my truck. We chatted a while and then I left. Got home and was unloading and realized they are different from each other.

One has the old eye design, the other the new (one has a bend in main spring which is old design, other is flat). Also the codes seem to be different.

The guy implied he got them out of the same diesel truck and was familiar with what I wanted them for, an RSK on my F350. It is possible they were from the same truck, one could have been replaced due to a wreck or something. Not sure if he knew or not, but they are my useless steel now.

I let down my guard because I was dealing with a fellow enthusiast and enjoyed the chat. Learned a lesson today. Pay attention to what you are doing,

Old 03-04-2015, 12:15 PM
ewalt98
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or, contact the guy and see if he accidentally grabbed one wrong spring from his stash?
The yard near me wants about 130 for the front pair. I got both front and rear from them, directly off the trucks, so no chance of mixup.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:13 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Well, a couple of things to report on.

My truck has idled a little high ever since I have owned it. I dove into it a little today to attempt to figure out what was going on. It idles around 950-1000 RPM when cold or warmed up. I removed the hose that feeds the IAC and held my finger over the inlet. No vacuum and no change in the RPMs. I took the hoses from the throttle body intake and looked in there at the blades. They seemed to be closing completely and were very clean....too clean. I think the PO had used some carb cleaner or something on it. This can remove the coating and cause air to leak by.

The blades each have a 1/8" or so hole in them as air bleeds. I wiped the blades off with brake clean on a rag and put a small square piece of Gorilla tape over each one. I then started the truck. PERFECT, it idles at 750 rpm and now the IAC is pulling air and controlling the idle just like it is supposed to. The air bleed holes combined with the leaky blade seal was just providing too much air at idle.

I will find some small rubber plugs (GM had a recall that used them to plug air bleeds in blades back when they had the throttle body sticking issues) from one of my old tech buddies and fix it permanently.

I also installed my new to me cluster with tach by following the guide here at the forum. I used my old speedo so my mileage is the same. I made sure the bulbs were all good and verified all the gauges were working correctly. I love having the tach. It looks good and now I know how many Rs I am turning at hwy speed, 70 MPH on my GPS is 1900 RPM which is perfect with the torque peak of the 460 being 2000 rpm. It'll run at this speed or on up to 80MPH easily, 80 coming in at about 2400 RPM. My big 37s are super smooth thanks to the truing I did on them and it seems to all be a good combo of gear, tire and big block torque.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:34 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Old 03-09-2015, 07:41 PM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sweeeeet! LED's ??

Old 03-09-2015, 08:08 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
I tried the LEDs brother, but they were too bright. So bright it was distracting. I took them back out and put in new bulbs. You were right, this is one of the most fun mods I have done. I love looking at the tach LOL.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:36 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
I'm glad my 94 has the tach cluster. My old 95 didn't and adding one was one of my favorite simple mods.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:04 PM
sbowling79
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like you used a lot of fuel to go 5 miles Nice truck, great write up.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:15 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
LOL, parked in a different spot. ^

Lots on my mind.

I need to buy some 6" off road lights. I think I will just go old school KC Daylighter 130W in the "driving" pattern.

I need to do my RSK.

I am considering F150 springs for the rear with a Sky 4.5" shackle flip and no block. This will allow a soft ride, much less axle wrap with removing the factory 4" block and should end up right where it is now height wise.

I am going to swap beds from my parts truck. Mine has a wavy floor from being a farm truck in it's first life and a dent above the right tail light that would be hard to fix.

I want to spray the truck in Al's or Monstaliner all over. I just like it.

I want to use hummer wheels with 3" spacers so my wheels match my M1101 trailer.

I need to do the headlight relay set up.

I need to swap in my larger rear tank.

I am considering swapping a carb setup on the engine, but it isn't a priority.

Lot's to consider and lots to do. I think first is the RSK and the lights.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:00 PM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
Hummer wheels would look awesome!

Lights are a good idea especially since you made that bar and its sitting there begging to have something on it.

What is the headlight relay? Haven't read/seen anything on that before that I can recall

Old 03-10-2015, 11:17 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
The factory headlight switch carries the full amperage load of the headlights and tail/marker lamps. You install a separate relay for the high and low beams to take the load off of the switch. There have been several threads on it. I think there is a post in the how to section on it.

It makes the switch last longer and the headlights much brighter.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:01 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Yep, Headlight relays and good quality clear bulbs like Nighthawk or Xtravision are the way to go.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:37 AM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
OK got it. I will look into it. I wonder if it would help with my silver Star ultras.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:34 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by im2tall33
OK got it. I will look into it. I wonder if it would help with my silver Star ultras.

It would work great with those bulbs. All my trucks have the silver stars and my 88 has the headlight relay way brighter then any of the trucks of this vintage.

Originally Posted by ponykilr
LOL, parked in a different spot. ^

Lots on my mind.

I need to buy some 6" off road lights. I think I will just go old school KC Daylighter 130W in the "driving" pattern.

I need to do my RSK.

I am considering F150 springs for the rear with a Sky 4.5" shackle flip and no block. This will allow a soft ride, much less axle wrap with removing the factory 4" block and should end up right where it is now height wise.

I am going to swap beds from my parts truck. Mine has a wavy floor from being a farm truck in it's first life and a dent above the right tail light that would be hard to fix.

I want to spray the truck in Al's or Monstaliner all over. I just like it.

I want to use hummer wheels with 3" spacers so my wheels match my M1101 trailer.

I need to do the headlight relay set up.

I need to swap in my larger rear tank.

I am considering swapping a carb setup on the engine, but it isn't a priority.

Lot's to consider and lots to do. I think first is the RSK and the lights.
Why don't you get another 460 and build it up it sounds like you have the knowledge of how to build engines.
You would be able to take your time and still be able to drive your truck.
Are you sure spacers are a good idea? everytime I heard about them they are causing problems with ball joints and such however you having the stronger D60 rather TTBs it may not affect you. Something you may want to look into.
Trav

Quick Reply: ponykilr's '96 F350 Build Thread