6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Help Me Understand H&S

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 08:47 PM
AzBlueOval
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Me Understand H&S

So once I have the tuner, can I go ahead and install it on my truck right away or is there more to it? What is the unlock code and the MCC? Or do you have to get the unlock code and the MCC in order to delete? I am looking to delete that is all, no need for tons and tons of HP. As far as buying a used tuner, as long as it is not VIN married to another truck and it works, it should be good to go correct? I have had tuners in the past (on my 6.0 & Dodge) that came with canned tunes and that is what I'm used to. I do not understand what the MCC and unlock code does, or if you have to have it in order to delete. Can someone explain what I will need in order to delete? Nothing fancy I just want to get rid of the DPF. And from what I read I think I'm leaning towards the H&S XRT Pro. I currently have the Edge Insight CTS which I use to monitor things, which is why I don't think I need the Mini Maxx.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:27 PM
Blapensee
Elder User
Originally Posted by AzBlueOval
So once I have the tuner, can I go ahead and install it on my truck right away or is there more to it? What is the unlock code and the MCC? Or do you have to get the unlock code and the MCC in order to delete? I am looking to delete that is all, no need for tons and tons of HP. As far as buying a used tuner, as long as it is not VIN married to another truck and it works, it should be good to go correct? I have had tuners in the past (on my 6.0 & Dodge) that came with canned tunes and that is what I'm used to. I do not understand what the MCC and unlock code does, or if you have to have it in order to delete. Can someone explain what I will need in order to delete? Nothing fancy I just want to get rid of the DPF. And from what I read I think I'm leaning towards the H&S XRT Pro. I currently have the Edge Insight CTS which I use to monitor things, which is why I don't think I need the Mini Maxx.

once you have the tuner go to there website and make sure its up to date with the current software version.- plug it into your truck and follow the on screen instructions

mcc tuning is custom tuning , not needed but optional (i don't use it personally yet)

unlock code is to make it work with the 6.7 power stroke, they said it took more effort to unlock the tuning on our model so they demand an extra $100 to unlock it

xrt pro is perfect if you have the edge to monitor.

all you need to start is a dpf delete pipe and tuner

be aware that you will not receive any customer service threw H&S if theres an issue down the road since they shut down they don't answer emails or there phone. you will need to contact a high end diesel performance shop/website that sells H&S

Last edited by Blapensee; 02-05-2015 at 09:31 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-05-2015, 10:02 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Because mine is a street tuner, MCC is how my custom "delete" tunes are loaded onto the tuner, and the unlock code has to be entered when installing the custom tune to the truck. To load the original street tune, all I had to do was plug in the MM to the OBDII and follow the prompts. Check YouTube. H&S used to have a series of videos on how to load tunes on the Mini-Max and get them into your truck.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:44 PM
AzBlueOval
Senior User

So a used one like this will be ok, right? Since it says uninstalled? Since it was already used on a 6.7, would I have to get the $100 unlock code specifically for my truck, or is it like a one time fee per tuner? Thanks for the knowledge guys. Love learning more about my truck.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:50 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
I'm not very familiar with the handhelds, but I have read that you would need a vendor to set your VIN to the tuner to make it work as they are VIN specific (unless of course that is your VIN listed on the screen) - but please don't quote me on that as I am mostly familiar with the leave-in tuners. Wish I could help more, but I'm sure someone will be along tomorrow who is knowledgeable and will guide you in the right direction.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:42 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
. First call Rudys Diesel and they can explain everything. Also don't buy that tuner if it was already used on a truck, you won't be able to use it. The MCC is for custom tuning, dont need it for normal tuning. I highly recommend calling Rudys Diesel.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:23 PM
AzBlueOval
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tofan
. First call Rudys Diesel and they can explain everything. Also don't buy that tuner if it was already used on a truck, you won't be able to use it. The MCC is for custom tuning, dont need it for normal tuning. I highly recommend calling Rudys Diesel.
Hmm. Ok, I was under the thought that as long as it wasn't installed on another vehicle I would be able to install it on mine. Good to know.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:59 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by AzBlueOval
Hmm. Ok, I was under the thought that as long as it wasn't installed on another vehicle I would be able to install it on mine. Good to know.
Ok sorry re reading my post was confusing. As long as the tune was removed from the truck you CAN use it on your truck. Just make sure that the tune was removed from the previous truck and you should be good.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:08 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,068 Likes on 2,217 Posts
It gets complicated for a lot of people. It used to be if a H&S tuner (Race MM or XRT Pro) was tied to a 2011 or 2012 6.7L Powerstoke VIN, it was married to that vin unless you purchased another unlock code. It would not work with any other truck until another unlock code that is tied to the new trucks VIN was entered. Then the street tuners came out and you didn't need an unlock code. I'm not familiar with anything other than the original 109003 MM Race tuner and that needed an unlock code to work on a '11 or '12 Ford Powerstroke. If that XRT Pro Race Tuner for a '11 of '12, it needs an unlock code. Also, if it is a Race version, it will only work on an '11 or '12.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:48 PM
smallcandle
Junior User
I ordered the MM 109003 (in addition to an EGR delete kit and Flo-Pro exhaust) today from Rudy's and they indicated that an unlock code wouldn't be needed for my '12. Does that sound right?

Old 02-06-2015, 03:55 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by smallcandle
I ordered the MM 109003 (in addition to an EGR delete kit and Flo-Pro exhaust) today from Rudy's and they indicated that an unlock code wouldn't be needed for my '12. Does that sound right?
I'm certain that is incorrect for back when I did mine, but I'm not certain what Rudy's has done. I'd call them and ask them to explain why an unlock code is no longer needed. It is possible they are selling you a MM that no longer requires a code and it's as simple as that. It's been too long for me and a lot of things have changed. Good luck.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:59 PM
roadkingfl
Elder User

Originally Posted by smallcandle
What year is your truck? That kit was over 2K right?

Old 02-06-2015, 04:01 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by roadkingfl
What year is your truck? That kit was over 2K right?
He states it is a 2012 in his post

Old 02-06-2015, 04:05 PM
roadkingfl
Elder User

Oops! Thanks Andre.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:31 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
If its on Rudys and they say it will work then it will. Last I talked to them, they have an in house programmer. I ordered my tuner from them and they were very helpful

Quick Reply: Help Me Understand H&S