1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

R & R rear window??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 07:05 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
R & R rear window??

Wanting to swap out the flat rear window in my '03 for a slider.....Ford is evedentally using a different type of gasket deal nowadays that the thick rubber I'm used to.......anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

Old 02-01-2015, 11:08 AM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
What year is your Ranger? I replaced my one piece rear window with an OEM Carlite slider. Round black butyl tape is included to seal the window.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:18 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

My Ranger is the Edge model 2003......I am looking to get one at a salvage yard to swap in.....not new from Ford. Thanks!

Old 02-02-2015, 02:04 PM
mfp4073
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
should be a bolt in/bolt out. Be careful once the nuts are off (I think there are 9 around the inside under the trim), pry firmly but gently, you dont want to tweak the window and break something. As mentioned you will need a roll of the butyl caulking. Its kinda round, black and on a paper roll. I think I have seen it at autozone/advance. The hardest part is cleaning the truck and the new window for installation. That butyl stuff is a pain in the ***.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Gotcha!! Thanks!!

Old 02-02-2015, 08:28 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Supercab
My Ranger is the Edge model 2003......I am looking to get one at a salvage yard to swap in.....not new from Ford. Thanks!
It might be hard to find one in a salvage yard. I bought a new one for around $130 dollars and sold the old one on craigslist for $40.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:04 PM
Fordsdad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You actually need a 8mm M-Seal kit from a glass shop. It is a foam core wrapped in a thin layer of butyl. The foam core is what gives it integrity to not go soft and ooze to the inside of the vehicle when it gets hot out.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:40 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Wrong answer for the SE US if it makes any difference. Go see a Ford OEM replacement glass company that supplies Carlite glass. You will find they only replace an original Carlite rear window with a 1/4 inch black butyl tape seal. I would like to be corrected if anyone finds a different type of sealant used by and OEM supplier.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:53 PM
Fordsdad
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke
What year is your Ranger? I replaced my one piece rear window with an OEM Carlite slider. Round black butyl tape is included to seal the window.
I supply OEM Carlite glass and it comes with 8mm M-seal. If you are given anything different you are dealing with a shop that is either misinformed or too cheap to carry the correct product

Old 02-15-2015, 11:36 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Fordsdad
I supply OEM Carlite glass and it comes with 8mm M-seal. If you are given anything different you are dealing with a shop that is either misinformed or too cheap to carry the correct product
You are kidding, right. Remember you are in BC and I am in the Southeast US. What is an M seal. I would agree that 8mm is close to 1/4 inch. I am a retired Ford Glass Plant employee of 37 years but am always willing to learn.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:19 AM
Fordsdad
Senior User
M-Seal is for Modular window sealant. It is used in applications where an adhesive is not required. In the case of Fords modular or encapsulated windows, that are bolted in rather than glued in, a M-seal is used. This has a foam core wrapped in butyl to help keep integrity in the seal. If it was simply a full butyl kit it would eventually compress and start to ooze out much like you see on cars made in the 60's and 70's that had glass installed with butyl prior to the common and accepted use of urethane. I have purchased Carlite parts for 25 years and have worked on Ford vehicles assembled in many different plants and have never seen a Ford vehicle with a bolted in glass part have anything but a M-Seal kit.

Take if for what it's worth...If it was done at my shop it would be installed with a M-Seal kit.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:30 AM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Where can you purchase a M-Seal kit. I am planning to pull mine and use butyl tape would like to try the kit you are talking about. OEM supplier in our area just has butyl tape.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:53 PM
Fordsdad
Senior User
A glass shop that knows their stuff should have it in stock, or at the very least, be able to order it from their glass supplier. If I knew how to load damn photo's on this site I could post a photo of what it looks like. You can PM me and I will give you my work email address and I can always email you a photo as well as the part numbers we use.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:12 AM
02FX4Dude
Senior User
I put an electric slider in my ranger 10+ years ago and it came with a tube of black urethane something sealer. Followed instructions just put a bead in the channel around the window opening, put window in position. Never been a problem.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:45 PM
mfp4073
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Seems like yall are making this more complicated than it needs to be. I put my window in 7 years ago with the "roll of black goo" stuff and 7 years later in FL its still sealed in there just fine. Truck sees direct faced sunlight every morning from dawn to noon.

Quick Reply: R & R rear window??