6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

To Delete or not...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 07:34 AM
allcool
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
To Delete or not...?

Got a new race mini maxx, unlocked with all the delete capabilities.

Have been running it with emissions on. And it runs real good. But still have regens at the most inconvenient times. And I just hate to stop in the middle on a regen and feel/smell the heat just radiating out from under the truck. Having to drive farther and longer than I want just to finish a regen is not my idea of a good system. Not to mention the hit mpg takes. JMO.

So for those of you that have removed just the dpf with a 'test pipe' and did not do a physical egr delete, but did unplug the egr, like the H&S MiniMaxx instructions recommend, is it possible to put the truck back to stock emissions and tune...? Will the ECU/PCM/BCM always keep a memory of the delete tune...?

I love this little MiniMaxx, its the bomb. Can only imagine how the truck will go and its mpg once deleted.
In all reality deleting the systems that historically have caused the most harm to the truck, can only cut down warranty work, as long as one runs a stock tune.
Probably just getting rid of that massive restriction in the exhaust will free up some torque/hp/mpg with just a oem tune. And relieving some heat build up and not recirculating the soot back into your engine, probably would seem to be good for the trucks longevity, yes...?

On the other hand I love the no smell diesel exhaust, and no black smoke. But during urea injection and regen there is a hideous smell that can't be healthy for anyone...?

How much smoke is there with the stock tune, all deleted, on a new 6.7...?

Ah, what is one to do...?

JMO

Old 01-31-2015, 08:06 AM
roadkingfl
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have the Minimax connected you are already leaving tracks on the ECU...Might as well delete and get all the benefits.

If H&S was still around I would of deleted my 15' already...My 11' ran like a champ.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:37 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, if you're not out of warranty now, you will be as soon as you delete the truck...

Mine does not make any smell during regen that I can detect. Although I have not had to stop and shut down during a regen either...
Love the smoke free and less rattle of these newer trucks and it is so doggoned strong, I would find it hard to believe that I would need even more power..
About the only reason I could see to delete my truck would be to break free from DEF and to increase fuel economy..

Old 01-31-2015, 09:01 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by allcool
Got a new race mini maxx, unlocked with all the delete capabilities.

Have been running it with emissions on. And it runs real good. But still have regens at the most inconvenient times. And I just hate to stop in the middle on a regen and feel/smell the heat just radiating out from under the truck. Having to drive farther and longer than I want just to finish a regen is not my idea of a good system. Not to mention the hit mpg takes. JMO.

So for those of you that have removed just the dpf with a 'test pipe' and did not do a physical egr delete, but did unplug the egr, like the H&S MiniMaxx instructions recommend, is it possible to put the truck back to stock emissions and tune...? Will the ECU/PCM/BCM always keep a memory of the delete tune...?

I love this little MiniMaxx, its the bomb. Can only imagine how the truck will go and its mpg once deleted.
In all reality deleting the systems that historically have caused the most harm to the truck, can only cut down warranty work, as long as one runs a stock tune.
Probably just getting rid of that massive restriction in the exhaust will free up some torque/hp/mpg with just a oem tune. And relieving some heat build up and not recirculating the soot back into your engine, probably would seem to be good for the trucks longevity, yes...?

On the other hand I love the no smell diesel exhaust, and no black smoke. But during urea injection and regen there is a hideous smell that can't be healthy for anyone...?

How much smoke is there with the stock tune, all deleted, on a new 6.7...?

Ah, what is one to do...?

JMO
yes, you can install the dpf again, but the pcm mod will be remembered.
yes, there is smoke, but depends on how hard you press the go pedal.

depends on the dealer whether you get hit with the tuner tracks..
some (used to) sell them as add on features, and support their customers.
take it someplace else (trouble on the road) and then have difficulties.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:29 AM
displacement4me
More Turbo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you ran a 4" pipe to replace your DPF while keeping the stock resonator and tip, you could run stock delete tuning with your Low Boost Fueling to minimal and I think you'd be a happy man.

You wouldn't 'roll coal', but you could still make it puff depending how you loaded the fuel. Since your LBF would be minimal, your excess fuel (and odour) at idle would be minimal as well. Your EGR and urea tank could still be on the truck, with just a few plugs and a tune away from being stock.

I feel like you've already made the steps for the deleted world getting a Mini Maxx in the first place .

I deleted at 700kms and creeping up on 36000kms. I had a code thrown early on but it was false and solved by one of H&S' updates. No problems at all.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:57 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
delete, delete, delete....you then have true diesel as it was meant to be, not as the EPA and Feds want it to be

Old 01-31-2015, 10:49 AM
allcool
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for all the replies guys, appreciate it. Its a tuff decision.

Originally Posted by displacement4me
If you ran a 4" pipe to replace your DPF while keeping the stock resonator and tip, you could run stock delete tuning with your Low Boost Fueling to minimal and I think you'd be a happy man.

You wouldn't 'roll coal', but you could still make it puff depending how you loaded the fuel. Since your LBF would be minimal, your excess fuel (and odour) at idle would be minimal as well. Your EGR and urea tank could still be on the truck, with just a few plugs and a tune away from being stock.

I feel like you've already made the steps for the deleted world getting a Mini Maxx in the first place .

I deleted at 700kms and creeping up on 36000kms. I had a code thrown early on but it was false and solved by one of H&S' updates. No problems at all.
You mean like this pipe..? Think I'd be a happy man,, huh...lol. You might be right. Thinking about doing it, but then again, IDK...lol...?

Old 01-31-2015, 10:53 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
With warranty coverage no longer an issue, not sure what is holding you back. Decision was made some time ago around the warranty.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:53 AM
Blapensee
Elder User
stock tune ,low boost fueling at a 2 you will be fine. my main reason for deleting mine was because i drove around more trying to finish the regens.. annoying. I've had mine deleted since 13,000 miles and I've been to my dealer a few times for problems with stuff that they had to open the hood for. i never heard anything negative come from them about it. it pays to have a "guy on the inside" at a dealership. i made friends with a guy in the service department. not saying that helps me or not , but on a side note i did get to haul the 2 roush mustangs to the auto show in detroit when there 2015 super duty had there fuel pressure sensor fail on them.. bottom line is if you remove the dpf and disable the egr its and easy change back to stock if you need to for some reason just don't go beating on your rig IMO you have to pay to play if something happens under normal driving conditions then thats another story one to tell your dealer about

Old 01-31-2015, 10:56 AM
Blapensee
Elder User
Originally Posted by roadkingfl
If you have the Minimax connected you are already leaving tracks on the ECU...Might as well delete and get all the benefits.

If H&S was still around I would of deleted my 15' already...My 11' ran like a champ.
sct x4 i see a lot of guys running them pretty successful.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:04 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes the SCT4 is the way to go for the '15's. I just got the basic warranty with my truck knowing I was going to delete. At the first sensor failure that DPF is out. And as soon as my turbo fails, a 2015 turbo goes in, I got it all planned out.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:37 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Over 3 years for me now, no issues.

Unless your stomping on it making the turbo lag, you won't get any smoke driving around on the stock tune.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:01 PM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Waiting until this summer for my delete, letting the extended warranty expire. I have an H&S already, just need the pipe.

Is there any crackdown on roadside checks in the US? Up here the Ministry of Environment has cars on the highway and will write tickets for missing emissions equipment, something like 380$ per item removed.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:01 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Delete it. You will be happy.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:03 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Another thing to consider is most if not all dealers today will not take a deleted truck for a trade in.

Quick Reply: To Delete or not...?