Sponsored by: Moser

HIO Silver's '73 F100 SB 4x4 "The War Machine" Mod/Upgrade Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:42 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
HIO Silver's '73 F100 SB 4x4 "The War Machine" Mod/Upgrade Thread

This is a mod/upgrade thread of "The War Machine", a rig I picked up in 2008 after seeing at the mall with a "For Sale" sign. I've liked the shortbed Dentsides, especially lifted 4WDs, because to me they are visually more proportional. The college kid who owned it couldn't afford the crummy gas mileage and really wasn't "wrench-worthy" of owning this machine. His mommy bought him a Toyota Fit so this fine, gas guzzling behemoth of American steel had to go... And that's where I stepped in.

On the pre-purchase inspection, receipts and a visual inspection revealed it had a fresh four-wheel (power) brake job, brand new 35-inch Goodyear Wranglers, and a set of headers in a box in the bed. Under the hood was already an Edelbrock 1406 on an Edelbrock Streetmaster intake sitting on a 390FE (verified).The trans is an NP-435 and the t-case is a Dana 21. The suspension consisted of 2-inch lift coils from Rancho and some unknown sourced leaf springs added to the rear. Steering was provided by "Armstrong" which was coupled to a teensy 13-inch Grant steering wheel. The body had the typical wheel arch rot (only one!) and the door corners. Overall, she's a '74 Ranger bed, frame, and drivetrain with a '73 Custom cab. Close enough, right?

Phase I consisted of installing a 4-inch lift with components from various manufacturers due to SuperLift's inability to deliver a kit over four months. I finally contacted Rocky Mountain Suspension Products out of North Carolina and soon boxes were arriving at my house from all over the country - Skyjacker, Rough Country, Rancho, BDS, and Energy Suspension all play a part. The only part that Superlift contributed was an adjustable track bar. It runs radius arm drop brackets to maintain proper camber. The steering system was upgraded with the steering box and linkages from a 79 Bronco. A Ford/Thompson pump and brackets were sourced from a 2WD '76. The hose is a custom piece sourced locally. The ever-popular 130-amp, 3G alternator upgrade is already done.

The new, in-the-box Hedman headers were installed and breathe through 2.5-inch, mandrel bent tubing and Moroso Spiral Flow mufflers. Due to the manual transmission, both intermediate pipes travel down the right frame rail and exit in front of the rear tire.

Exterior parts accessories include a rear contour bumper and modified brackets from an 80s Bronco, 80s Ranger mirrors, a frame-mounted Class III tow hitch, and a swap-meet push bar. The light bar came from the rotting carcass of a Dodge van. It's actually a one-half of a ladder rack that has been modified. Lighting is provided by four 100-watt Eagle Eyes on the roof and some French-made (?) fog lights in the push bar. Paint is by Krylon... a four-color camo pattern which is more accurate based on extensive study of historical images and the DoD camouflage pattern book.

I've driven it on and off since I've had the 'Lo-Buck Bumpside", or "LBB", going full tilt. That truck is finally under its own power and now it's time to catch up on this ol' girl and keep her mobile until the disc brake swap and drivetrain upgrades.

Here are the planned upgrades/modifications for Phase II:

Electrical
Dual battery system
New battery cables
Lincoln Mark VIII fan, dual temperature controller, and selector switch.
Rewire fog and roof lights
"Rock lights" inatallation
CB radio installation
Oil, water, and voltage gauges
Gauge and switch control panel

Exterior
Folding spare tire mount.. but first I need a spare!
On-board tool, supplies, and spare parts storage system
Custom front bumper with recovery points
10,000-pound winch (Minimum)

Interior
Low-back Mustang bucket seats with upgraded foam and upholstery
Harnesses
Center console
... it already has a gun rack

Steering Fix
Figure out why there is so much play in the steering. I have my eye on an ill-fitting pitman arm.

Brake Upgrade
Disc brake upgrade.. knuckles, spindles, calipers, etc. from a 79 Bronco
Warn hubs
Wilwood proportioning valve
Braided steel brake lines

Drivetrain
NP-435 4WD transmission
NP-205 transfer case (married)
Lockers, front and rear

... it's gonna be slow but methodical. Here we go.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:53 PM
emeraldcoupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
subscribing. the lbb thread is awesome can't wait to see this one

Old 01-27-2015, 09:56 PM
54Hydro
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
So, no turrent mounted .50 squirrel gun? Sounds like a fun project.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:30 PM
51fordf5
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
From a 73 F100 4x4 to a Honda Fit... I just can't even imagine getting rid of mine for that.

Good list you have there, it'll keep you busy. Good choice on the Lincoln fan too. One word of advice is to use a heavier relay for the fan because of the startup draw, I blew through a few relays before making the change. I'm running a 70 amp Ford relay out of a Focus, but they came in Crown Vics and some other stuff I'm sure.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:34 PM
9thPony
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Subscribing. Sound's like a cool project and looking forward to watching it progress.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:49 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 51fordf5
From a 73 F100 4x4 to a Honda Fit... I just can't even imagine getting rid of mine for that.

Good list you have there, it'll keep you busy. Good choice on the Lincoln fan too. One word of advice is to use a heavier relay for the fan because of the startup draw, I blew through a few relays before making the change. I'm running a 70 amp Ford relay out of a Focus, but they came in Crown Vics and some other stuff I'm sure.
10-4.. Thanks..got that covered already.... The LBB uses the Volvo dual relays but controlled by an Edelbrock E-Street EFI. I might go in the same direction but controlled by simple coolant temp sensors. 70 AMP? Really? Sheeest. We'll find out soon enough!

No .50 caliber turret gun... I'm in the Peoples Republik of Khalifornia - Land of the Fruits and Home of the Flakes...these nuts out here are so anti-gun for law-abiding citizens that eventually only criminals will have guns. I do have concept drawings for deployable "anti-pursuit" hazards that will punctures tires and gas tanks but that's slightly illegal.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:58 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So much for taking a break huh!!!
I'm really hoping the on board supplies thing is not just a bed box....right?...pretty please?

Old 01-28-2015, 08:06 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
So much for taking a break huh!!!
I'm really hoping the on board supplies thing is not just a bed box....right?...pretty please?
LOL

Hey! C'mon now, it's not like I bought another vehicle! I'm moving on to working on the current inventory! But I am in the market for a F355 or a FFR Cobra to replace the Pontiac....

I'm gonna be building engines ... I have drawings for an engine stand and close to enough spare parts to equip it - radiator, fuel tank, starter, gauges, ignition switch, battery, etc.

It won't be a bed box...the concept is for a bed rack system - fuel & water cans, tool box, shovel and pick, a hi-lift jack, work lights, and the spare tire system. The bed will remain open.. except for maybe a tarp or camo netting connection points.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:02 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Just jokin!! As if I didn't know how the "keeping the fleet going" thing goes.

Looking forward to see how the bed rack turns out.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:50 PM
scott79
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey HIO, I am digging the camo "shorty" alot!! I like your bucket list but might-as-well slap a D60 under there!!

Old 01-28-2015, 11:17 PM
54Hydro
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Make the bedsides lift open. There is a lot of unused space in there.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:29 AM
trozei
Postmaster
Add me to the subscription list.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:34 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by scott79
Hey HIO, I am digging the camo "shorty" alot!! I like your bucket list but might-as-well slap a D60 under there!!
Originally Posted by 54Hydro
Make the bedsides lift open. There is a lot of unused space in there.
No promises but the intent is to keep the 'might as wells' to a minimum.

... The battery has been on a charger since Tuesday and it's not coming up to full charge..... I'm thinking dual Optima yellow D35s. Any opinions on what type of AGMs to go with?

Old 01-29-2015, 12:10 PM
scott79
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Good to hear you have NO promises on the intent!! haha As for the battery, I have a OPTIMA® Batteries 8040-218 D35 YELLOWTOP® Starting & Deep-Cycle Battery in one of my trucks and it been a great investment, 6yrs+ old and no problems!! I like the Motorcraft batteries as well, but IMO I think the Optima D35 Yellowtop is boss.

Originally Posted by HIO Silver
No promises but the intent is to keep the 'might as wells' to a minimum.

... The battery has been on a charger since Tuesday and it's not coming up to full charge..... I'm thinking dual Optima yellow D35s. Any opinions on what type of AGMs to go with?

Old 01-29-2015, 12:48 PM
good to doo
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had a sweet 77 sb that I sold about 15 years ago when we started having the kids, I got a 79 bronco instead. But I,m still kicking my self for selling the sb. Love your truck, can,t wait to see it progress.

Quick Reply: HIO Silver's '73 F100 SB 4x4 "The War Machine" Mod/Upgrade Thread