Upside down balls?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 12:59 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
Cough.....cough.....snake oil sales.....

Old 05-11-2015, 01:18 PM
Krystal Kid
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sky Cowboy
Cough.....cough.....snake oil sales.....
Well the entire state of New York didn't seem to think so...

Press Release – Rear End Collision Crash Mitigation - Lightweight Vehicle Attenuators 2.1.15

The New York State BID 27734, Group 38650, Safety Equipment for Transportation & Public Works, Lot 16 - SUV and Lightweight Vehicle Attenuators - has been awarded to Mohr Manufacturing of Burnsville, Minnesota.

This four year Comprehensive Crash Mitigation initiative includes lightweight attenuators to reduce workman’s comp claims, vehicle damage and the risk of whiplash in pickup trucks and SUVs equipped with receiver hitches in the State of New York.

Statewide contracts are by the NYS Law only issued through the NY State Procurement (NYSPro) office. A statewide contract becomes the contract source to be used by all New York State Executive Agencies including the: Dept of Transportation, Parks, Environmental Conservation, Police, Fire, NY Thruway, NY City’s Metropolitan Transportation Authority, the Port Authority of NY& NJ, as well as by all 63 County Governments, any Municipality within the State and finally by the educational community in any school system or district & any college or university (public or private).

Old 05-11-2015, 02:10 PM
Mcrafty1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Krystal Kid
Well the entire state of New York didn't seem to think so...

Press Release – Rear End Collision Crash Mitigation - Lightweight Vehicle Attenuators 2.1.15

The New York State BID 27734, Group 38650, Safety Equipment for Transportation & Public Works, Lot 16 - SUV and Lightweight Vehicle Attenuators - has been awarded to Mohr Manufacturing of Burnsville, Minnesota.

This four year Comprehensive Crash Mitigation initiative includes lightweight attenuators to reduce workman’s comp claims, vehicle damage and the risk of whiplash in pickup trucks and SUVs equipped with receiver hitches in the State of New York.

Statewide contracts are by the NYS Law only issued through the NY State Procurement (NYSPro) office. A statewide contract becomes the contract source to be used by all New York State Executive Agencies including the: Dept of Transportation, Parks, Environmental Conservation, Police, Fire, NY Thruway, NY City’s Metropolitan Transportation Authority, the Port Authority of NY& NJ, as well as by all 63 County Governments, any Municipality within the State and finally by the educational community in any school system or district & any college or university (public or private).
NYState....shocking I tell ya, shocking!

Old 05-11-2015, 10:37 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 139 Likes on 123 Posts
Let's all remember what this thread is about. I don't mind the little detour but come on. I don't care about all this insurance/injury/crash zone stuff.

I'm still wondering why somebody would bolt the ball on upside down.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:14 AM
Mcrafty1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
Let's all remember what this thread is about. I don't mind the little detour but come on. I don't care about all this insurance/injury/crash zone stuff.

I'm still wondering why somebody would bolt the ball on upside down.
This did kinda get derailed didn't it
I'll try and help you with your original question......The people with the upside down trailer ***** do that so some sneaky people won't slip a trailer on their hitch when they're not looking and get them to pull it for free. That's the only plausible explanation I can come up with I know.....sounds crazy don't it? That's all I got

Old 05-12-2015, 08:33 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I think it is to avoid getting grease on your pants/legs. It's common practice to put grease on the ***** around here.

I usually don't. I've lost a couple of good dress pants that way

Old 05-12-2015, 07:34 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Mcrafty1
This did kinda get derailed didn't it
I'll try and help you with your original question......The people with the upside down trailer ***** do that so some sneaky people won't slip a trailer on their hitch when they're not looking and get them to pull it for free. That's the only plausible explanation I can come up with I know.....sounds crazy don't it? That's all I got
That's about the conclusion I'm drawing too! HAHA

It just struck me as weird seeing a couple different trucks this way. Upside down receiver I can understand, it's for ground clearance, I can't figure out why somebody would bolt the ball on the bumper upside down. Maybe it's just confuse people like us! Lol

Old 05-12-2015, 07:37 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
I think it is to avoid getting grease on your pants/legs. It's common practice to put grease on the ***** around here.

I usually don't. I've lost a couple of good dress pants that way
this could go to the inappropriate area very easily! LMAO

Old 05-12-2015, 08:40 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
this could go to the inappropriate area very easily! LMAO
ROTFLMAO!

Old 05-12-2015, 09:29 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
I've seen folks bolt them in upside down for use on lower riding vehicles so instead of having a drop hitch, they've got a raised hitch. In other words, rather than having a 2" drop, it's reversed so it's actually raised about 2". Works for lower riding vehicles, vehicles with softer springs that squat easily under the tongue weight of the trailer, etc.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:36 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
I've seen folks bolt them in upside down for use on lower riding vehicles so instead of having a drop hitch, they've got a raised hitch. In other words, rather than having a 2" drop, it's reversed so it's actually raised about 2". Works for lower riding vehicles, vehicles with softer springs that squat easily under the tongue weight of the trailer, etc.

No no, that's not what I'm talking about. That is a legitimate use, and a normal use.

I'm talking having the chrome ball hitch, bolted upside down, on the factory step bumper.
Guys do that to confuse the hell out of people that notice.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:43 AM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

No idea why someone would do that sorry.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:47 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
No no, that's not what I'm talking about. That is a legitimate use, and a normal use.

I'm talking having the chrome ball hitch, bolted upside down, on the factory step bumper.
Guys do that to confuse the hell out of people that notice.
OH......that's just a moron who doesn't know he's doing it wrong yet.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:03 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,459 Likes on 1,041 Posts
with it upside down (and the ball too) it becomes a step so you can get to the top of the vehicle (suv's).

Old 05-13-2015, 09:36 AM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

How can the upside down ball be used as a step???

Quick Reply: Upside down balls?