Sponsored by: Moser

My project; '79 F350 Camper Special

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 10:05 AM
TheMonson
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 54Hydro
So where in the most in the most isolated part of the continental US are you at? I'm in the county seat.
Heh, I'm in the Thunderegg capital.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:08 PM
54Hydro
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=2da8cef628

I finally got the intake off. Life has been busy. The large crust of burned oil i lifted out of the valley is all the proof I need to always use a tray style intake gasket.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:07 PM
54Hydro
Laughing Gas
Finally got this thing pushed up to the garage so I can really start working. Looks like I am in need of a new camshaft. The lifters are all dished. I'm looking at a Comp High Energy 34-225-4 and the recommended springs. Since the truck is going to be otherwise stock I'm not going to be going too extreme. After stripping out the valvetrain I crawled underneath to evaluate that side of the truck. I knew the radius bushings were shot, but I also found a bad ujoint and a blown out muffler. The tailpipe is pretty well gone too. I have a couple of nearly new 2.75 tailpipes I brought home from work rather than throw them in the dumpster that I may try to adapt. I might cut off the Y and run duals, haven't decided yet.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:20 PM
54Hydro
Laughing Gas
Progressing slowly as I have funds and time. Valve springs are replaced. The stem seals were either missing or rock hard. Pulled the oil pan and cleaned it. Painted the oil pan, timing cover, new water pump, harmonic balancer, and external flyweight. Going to go junkyarding tomorrow after a car show to try and find some timing cover and water pump bolts. Still need a radiator and fan shroud.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:45 AM
54Hydro
Laughing Gas
Camshaft, timing set, timing cover and oil pan are back on. Going to tackle the lifters pushrods and rockers tomorrow.

Dashlights died on the '78 tonight so dashboard restoration there might take priority for a little bit.

The headlight switch on my DD died too, along with the catalyst. The steering rack and pinion seal both decided to start leaking with 310k miles. Things just don't last.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:17 PM
K&SOR
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too bad you aren't a little closer. We have a radiator and shroud. The radiator has a pinhole leak but easy fix. The shroud is from a '76 F250 parts truck. Need any other parts? It is pretty complete minus the interior.

We agree with PAcrewcab about these trucks looking good as a 4X4. We have a '75 that we are considering doing the conversion on. We drive a CC dually because the SCS is only a single cab. We don't need the truck but I sure like it.

Good luck on the project.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:02 AM
54Hydro
Laughing Gas
My new shroud just arrived today, thanks to number dummy for the lookup. I also got a backing plate for the water pump.

I do still need a radiator. Where are you at K&SOR? I have found an aluminum 3 core that is available for less than a new copper.

I have thought that building a 4x4 super cab or crew cab with the CS back end. Nothing like wheelbase for towing.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:52 AM
K&SOR
New User
Sorry for the delay in answering. We are in Clackamas. SE suburb of Portland. Turns out we are going to be keeping our SCS. I would like to make it a 4x4. My wife would like to make it a dually. Maybe both?

Old 08-04-2015, 11:13 PM
54Hydro
Laughing Gas
That's ok, I ordered the 3core aluminum super cooler replacement last week.

I know I haven't shared many photos, but I am making some progress, when I'm not going to work early and staying way late. I'm really hating my workplace right now.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:07 PM
54Hydro
Laughing Gas

Well I have been making some progress the last few weeks. The engine is almost back together. I need to rebuild the carb and get all the vacuum lines figured out. Need to find an air cleaner, I think I will try to find a factory one at the pick-a-part next weekend. I rebuilt the front suspension, new king pins, all new bushings and replaced the brake lines. I have been painting parts as I do repairs as a sort of proof they were off.

I did some small things today, belts, transmission filter, installed the new starter, then rolled the pickup ahead a bit to get it all the way on the concrete. When I pulled the right rear wheel I found this.

Yea, not happy.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:21 AM
cghstrojan08
Senior User
Front end looks good. Nice crack

Old 12-12-2015, 10:55 PM
54Hydro
Laughing Gas
So what I found when I removed that hub is the brake hardware had come apart and the shoes drug until there was no material left and then some. So that "crack" is actually where the shoe wore clear through the drum. The pick a part had another camper special so I got two nearly new drums, replaced the wheel cylinders, hardware and shoes. I haven't done much else because the weather hasn't been very cooperative. I think now that it is on all four wheels again, I think I am going to load it up and take it to work so I can use the lift and heat. I can't get anything over 6 feet tall into my garage door, plus I have 5 engines, 3 differentials, a transmission and a pile of other parts in there.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:48 AM
ford_pickup
Elder User
This build is great, I love seeing them come back to life as much or more as I like seeing a frame off resto

Old 01-04-2016, 11:48 PM
54Hydro
Laughing Gas
Well, the pickup has been inside at work for three weeks or so. I cleaned out the interior, not great but not quite as bad as I thought. The dash pad isn't cracked, don't know how that happened. More proof that the back of the cab was replaced, the cab mounts for the '79 F350 2wd camper special frame are apparently narrower than the '77 F150 4x4 that of the "other" vin number that was on the cab. The hack job was to torch out two new holes in the correct spots. Replaced the gear oil in the differential, two new battery cables, and the cheapest 650cca battery I could find in town. Also replaced most of the vacuum lines. Still have a few to do. Some of the lights work, some don't. Need to buy some gas for my marine gas can and do the cam break in.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:27 AM
54Hydro
Laughing Gas
It's alive

After sitting torn apart for about 15 years, and now 11 months of work as I can afford it, the 460 fired for the first time. Might have an exhaust leak, still need to do the cam break in and set the timing. I am happy though. The break in will be done during my lunch break, have to burn off all that oil and grease buildup on the exhaust and don't want to smoke out the shop any worse than I already have.

Quick Reply: My project; '79 F350 Camper Special