Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2.7 EB package.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 06:44 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd wait for future numbers before thinking much about reported fuel economy. Just think how many different drivers were in the truck getting first impression and feeling it out running it hard. I also suspect real world numbers will be disappointing, but give it a fair chance. And we're in the middle of winter when those numbers are respectable in combined drive cycle.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:12 AM
2015er
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
I'd wait for future numbers before thinking much about reported fuel economy. Just think how many different drivers were in the truck getting first impression and feeling it out running it hard. I also suspect real world numbers will be disappointing, but give it a fair chance. And we're in the middle of winter when those numbers are respectable in combined drive cycle.
How many different drivers? Really? You mean like a representative group of drivers that reflect the buying public and all the different driving habits that come with it?...Nope. Not buying it. Outside of a mile or two improvement that will come when the motor breaks in this is not a good mileage figure - face it.

The only hope will be the 10 speed transmission when it works its way from the Raptor into the mainstream F150's - Ford should have put the 10 speed in 2015 and offered a full package of changes rather than going have way and having these abysmal mileage numbers to show for it.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:04 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 2015er
How many different drivers? Really? You mean like a representative group of drivers that reflect the buying public and all the different driving habits that come with it?...Nope. Not buying it.
The people that work there ding dong.

They have a fleet of 19 cars on long term test right now and aim to put 20K miles on each in a year. It takes a fleet of people to do all that driving and they switch cars for different impressions and point of view.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/l...rm-road-tests/

Old 02-10-2015, 11:33 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
The people that work there ding dong.

They have a fleet of 19 cars on long term test right now and aim to put 20K miles on each in a year. It takes a fleet of people to do all that driving and they switch cars for different impressions and point of view.

Long-Term Road Tests

Old 02-24-2015, 10:26 PM
His/Hers 6.0s
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by n2umr
Now that's backwards, the 3.5EB is the best towing of the bunch and I think the MPG would even out as I know my buddy with a 5.0 gets the same mpg towing as my EB.

Mark
Originally Posted by tseekins
Cheaper to maintain? C'mon Greg, you can't mean that. My ecoboost is the first ultra modern engine that I've ever owned and after 47K miles I've settled into a 6K-7K mile oil dump cycle.

My older push rod engines, 300, 302 and 351 each needed 3K oil changes, plugs, wires and rotor cap changes every 30K, air filter every oil change, PCV valve change every oil change, front end broken down and 4x4 hubs cleaned and repacked every 30K, coolant change every 30K. Tell me when to stop!
Right on. Finally someone speaking the truth. Love those old rigs, but I keep hearing Springsteen singing "glory days".
I'll take the new ones 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. Ford is giving you more bang for the buck than ever before. Anyone that grew up in the 70s and 80s can remember the bad air of the big cities. I remember going outside to play and coming back with my lungs burning the ozone was so bad. A 5,000 # truck back then could only dream of 20 mpg (yea someone's surely going to chime in and talk about uncle Louie's truck that would get 25 mpg, but we all know that's bunk).
No disrespect intended to anyone, just saying the new stuff is good, comfortable and will last like you've never seen. Sure, you can't really work on it, but with the most basic of DITY maintenance, you shouldn't need to.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:11 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The 2.7 is really a replacement for the 5.0. Ford won't drop the v8s for some time due to several bidding contracts that are written by people who don't actually know how to spec their truck by performance.

Advertised torque is at 3k rpm on the 2.7 and 2.5k for the 3.5. The notion that you have to get heavy on the boost for these motors to perform is ill founded. People just have a heavy foot, and they whine about bad mileage because of it.

Repairs on some components may cost more, however, the frequency is much lower. Again, manufacturers focus on the first owner who actually gives them money. Most first owners will see very little in terms or repair and maintenance cost compared to first owners of trucks of lore.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:41 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
I stand by what I said. All one has to do is look at the flat rate times and parts cost to see that. Nothing against the new stuff, but it's still cheaper to own and operate a 95 F150 than a new one with all things considered (including purchase price). But the new is really nice, no doubt about it.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:32 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
95 F150 simply does not stack up to a new one though, plus most people want crew cabs now.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:25 PM
sixseven
Senior User
For information, my 2015 with the 5.0 and at 1,000 miles gets 22mpg on the highway unloaded and about 15 mpg in the city, again with no load. My initial city mileage was 13.6 within the first 500 miles. Now that I have 1,000 miles I can tow and will let you know how that goes. I'll be towing about 5,000 pounds of 41 ford pickup.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:51 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Anything old will be cheaper than anything new. But, how much down time and knuckle busting are you willing to endure before enough is enough?

Old 02-26-2015, 06:58 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Anything old will be cheaper than anything new. But, how much down time and knuckle busting are you willing to endure before enough is enough?
Long as I can still work on the dang thing I won't replace it with brand new. Too much computer crap in there that can and eventually does go wrong and when its out of warranty well you're SOL. At least you don't need to be an MIT graduate to work on them. In some instances with these new vehicles you have to take it to a dealer or a reputable shop to get it fixed.

Only downside to the old trucks is fuel economy sucks. If it was better say 17 average I don't think too many would complain.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:50 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
If you want to look at an honest cost of ownership you have to look at cost over the trucks lifetime not your ownership. Otherwise you're talking about two classes of vehicles, so you might as well also put a Fiesta with a hitch and utility trailer in the mix.

Both were purchased new, and sadly with inflation there isn't a whole lot of difference. More so when you add in the new features as actual values (safety equipment, electronics, etc). Even if you don't want these features, they add a real value and cost. With the cost mostly factored out your onto parts. Another advantage today is much more affordable warranty's (Mostly due to the lower odds of needing them). If you're not a hard head, you can have all your parts and labor covered for the first 100k for about $2000-$3000 in a new truck. Oil and gas expenses are cut in half as well. In the second 100k the new truck will still be less likely to need new parts as often, so even if they cost more its again a bit of a wash.

All that being said, I love my 95 F150 5.8. But I have it mostly because I'm too poor to own a truck for it's entire life. I don't consider it better in any way than the new ones (well I think the old style looks better, but I like old garbage).

Old 12-10-2015, 07:34 AM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

I did end up picking up a 2015 Supercab 4x4 with the 2.7.

I does not have the EB package, but it does have a 3.55 rings and pinions.

So far (at 550 miles) it is averaging 20.4 mpg.

The truck was bought purely for fuel economy, I do not plan to haul or tow much anymore.

Most of my towing needs can still be done with our 5.8 equipped Bronco. Having a new truck is super nice too, I really like

the ride and all the electronic items on the new truck.

The 2015 was priced way lower than I could have ever imagined, that is why we bought it.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:40 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Congratulations on the new truck!

Originally Posted by khadma
I did end up picking up a 2015 Supercab 4x4 with the 2.7.

I does not have the EB package, but it does have a 3.55 rings and pinions.
It can't be both though. The only 2.7L in existence is an EcoBoost engine. If yours isn't turbocharged it would be either the 3.5L V6 or 5.0L V8.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:47 AM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg B
The 60 years old 5.8L and 7.5L engines were far less expensive to own and maintain than today's EB engines are. And they can be made to perform as well too.
you are nuts. I wouldn't want either one today. 10 MPG, and some parts are not available anymore, and rusty.

Quick Reply: 2.7 EB package.