6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Recall 2011-2014 F250-F550 6.7L 14E03

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 08:17 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by 89LX306
I drove the truck some more this weekend and had 2 more odd things happen since the recall.

1. The truck nosed over (lost forward momentum) twice when I manually turned on the headlights. I know...that sounds crazy. I have not been able to duplicate it since then, but I was able to duplicate it within 30 seconds of it happening the first time.

2. My VOICE button on the steering wheel no longer works correctly. I now have to make a call through SYNC from my phone before the button will work. So, if I get in my truck and start it up then hit VOICE nothing happens. I can then make a call from my phone (with SYNC as the audio source) and hang up then I can use the voice button. I have confirmed my phone works properly in our Expedition and I deleted and re-paired all phones just to be sure. Still the same.

These are in addition to the weirdness I had with my high idle upfitter switch. There have definitely been some strange things happen since I had the recall done. I now have about 450 miles on my truck since the recall.

You should go back and show the SA. Then they will need to fix it.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:20 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 89LX306
I drove the truck some more this weekend and had 2 more odd things happen since the recall.

1. The truck nosed over (lost forward momentum) twice when I manually turned on the headlights. I know...that sounds crazy. I have not been able to duplicate it since then, but I was able to duplicate it within 30 seconds of it happening the first time.

2. My VOICE button on the steering wheel no longer works correctly. I now have to make a call through SYNC from my phone before the button will work. So, if I get in my truck and start it up then hit VOICE nothing happens. I can then make a call from my phone (with SYNC as the audio source) and hang up then I can use the voice button. I have confirmed my phone works properly in our Expedition and I deleted and re-paired all phones just to be sure. Still the same.

These are in addition to the weirdness I had with my high idle upfitter switch. There have definitely been some strange things happen since I had the recall done. I now have about 450 miles on my truck since the recall.
I think I had number 2 yesterday as well.. no phone connected via bluetooth.. I manually connected, then it worked.. don't know if that problem still exists, have to try it again

Old 02-17-2015, 09:40 AM
senix
Super Moderator
I had no issues with the flash. Phone, settings everything still as it was.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:46 AM
bassdude
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got an 11 with 46K on it. Runs perfect, never had one problem, never been to the dealer except for oil changes. I'm really hesitant to let them start screwing with the computer at this point.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:47 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
I had no issues with the flash. Phone, settings everything still as it was.
phone defs were still there.. just first call out said no connection,
even tho BT was still on.

I had to manually connect the phone the first time from the screen..
I wil be back in the truck today so will test it again..

everything else worked as before

Old 02-17-2015, 09:49 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by bassdude
I've got an 11 with 46K on it. Runs perfect, never had one problem, never been to the dealer except for oil changes. I'm really hesitant to let them start screwing with the computer at this point.

I had the same concern. Never been back for any engine/trans issues. Only a new radio ( whole other reason).

but after so many got the flash without issues I went ahead and got it.

Truck seems the same as always.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:04 PM
trimoutinc
New User
MPG

Originally Posted by bridge
So, based on responses I'm guessing my rig already has the lower temp flash from the factory ('14 Job 2 I assume from the build date). I have noticed that my regen temps aren't as high as in my 2011...but I thought it was just coincidence or driving habits changing. Perhaps the factory has been testing these parameters on the '14 and up trucks and now has enough evidence that a lower burn temp will properly regen the DPF. Although, I don't get as good MPG in my '14 as I did in my '11.
What do you get on your 14 and what did you get on your 11. Average? I'm at the 15.3 avg across the board.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:23 PM
MPD56
Elder User
Just got the recall done on my 2013. It worked out better than I expected because 4 other owner's that knew what time I was going to be there and know I have no people skills, showed up and watch me be an a$$. I told them that before they do something to my truck I want to know what they were doing. I also said that some of these owner's have the OCR function on the truck and I want to know why mine doesn't. I also said that I want it in writting.

Affected Vehicles
F-Super Duty 2011-2014, Job#1 through November 6, 2013

I stayed with the tech while he did the procedure.
First he flashed the PCM with version 93.05 or later.
I watched him go through the 7 page prodedure (which I brought home).
The Tech said that the recall will limit the temperatures when in Active Regen by reducing the amount of fuel injected juring the exhaust stoke. This will most likely effect the use of DEF, but it depends on the driving habits. He has been told by the others that had it done, the transmission shift point were changed and fuel and boost. He said that I will notice a differents drving home only because the shift points were changed and that the transmssion is in re-learn mode because he cleared it. Depending how I drive in time the truck will learn my habits and then I will know if I like the shifting?

Also I scrolled through the laptop till we found the OCR option and the Electronic Tech had to go and talk to the Diesel Tech and the Service Manager. They expained to me that before they program this option in, they have to talk Ford because they have to be notified first. The Tech said that one reason is that it is a chargable prodedure (Which when I call for the appointment they said that they would do it for free) and like stated above it wasn't an option for my model year Lariat and don't know if Ford will let them? Also I had him look at the signal from my EGT3, my monitor shows it is noisy and so does his equipment and seen it before, it is within the range so no DTC and nothing he can do about it under warranty. I told him it is just my Due Diligence for court LOL.

Anyway
I reconnected my OBD monitor back up to my truck and drove home 10 miles, so most of what I noticed might be in a few more miles.

My PCM must of recalibrated for ash residual because my soot load is different after the flash and they don't run the engine.
My truck has a 3.31 rear end and before the flash the transmission wouldn't shift into 6th gear till after 80kph, now it shift before 80kph. hopefully this will mean that drive in town in 6th instead of 5th gear will boost MPG city.
When the engine reached operating temperature, the turbo didin't spool down a much at a stop light and seem to have more throttle response even with the TCS on or off.

Anyway Sorry about the length...I'm not an expert and more miles will tell. The tech didn't think that this would stop all sensor failures nor do I. He didn't know if it would stop the shut down of the engine, but in March he is going to go for update training and will ask and let me know.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:48 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MPD56 - don't apologize man, that is some GREAT information!!

If you have any more or scans from the 7 pages you were talking about, please feel free to share!

Old 02-18-2015, 10:10 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Man what a thread. in only two hours of my life ( which I'll never get back) I managed to read almost the whole thread. I learned a lot and thanks to those who took the time to report back. I have my letter and it is plain that my failure to get the service done would constitute a violation of my warranty responsibilities. Makes sense, so I'll probably get it done.

I would like to add this: Those who are blaming Ford for the recall or for decisions around the emissions system may be shooting at the wrong target. You can be assured that everything done or written about the emissions system is coordinated with or directed by the EPA or DOT (NHTSA). Ford probably has less control than you would think.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:33 PM
miner999r
Tuned
Had mine done last Friday when on the road. Drove from Fernie BC to Saskatoon Sask. No issues, truck ran good. No negative fuel economy impacts, possibly better if anything - gauge said 18.7 mpg for one stretch - maybe Alberta tail wind.

Cold wx impacts fuel economy negatively. Trans is not happy when cold and is still not happy in cold after the flash.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:01 AM
longrange1971
Junior User
Originally Posted by miner999r
Had mine done last Friday when on the road. Drove from Fernie BC to Saskatoon Sask. No issues, truck ran good. No negative fuel economy impacts, possibly better if anything - gauge said 18.7 mpg for one stretch - maybe Alberta tail wind.

Cold wx impacts fuel economy negatively. Trans is not happy when cold and is still not happy in cold after the flash.
I completely agree with that. We are seeing some of the lowest temps here in Maryland than we have seen in a while. It is crushing my MPG but the the strong head wind doesn't help either. heck tranny doesnt even get up to temp during my 30 min drive to work. Currently temp is 13 with wind chill of -1. 7:00 am

Old 02-19-2015, 08:41 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
UPDATE 2

Originally Posted by sdetweil
phone defs were still there.. just first call out said no connection,
even tho BT was still on.

I had to manually connect the phone the first time from the screen..
I wil be back in the truck today so will test it again..

everything else worked as before
My phone issue has now self corrected. I was driving up to the church last night and noticed my gear selector display was no longer showing so I hit the + button to bring it back up. When I did that I decided to hit the Voice button again to see what would happen and it worked just like it should have. I completed a call and hung up without any issues and it is still working correctly today.

It seems that all the little oddities have now corrected themselves. Very strange.

EDIT 2/20: Nevermind. My VOICE button is acting up again. I guess I'll end up taking the truck back in.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:46 AM
sbryan
Lead Driver
Received 127 Likes on 117 Posts
As I remarked earlier in this thread, I was surprised that my GPS seemed to be way off after the recall when before it was spot on.

On a 100 mile trip yesterday the GPS started out off by several miles but when I decided to set a destination, it slowly began to recognize where I was. By the time I was done, it was back to spot on but it was weird watching the symbol for my truck tracking a couple of miles off the road I was actually on - actually had me in the middle of a river for a while but now seems to be back to normal. Phone worked as normal throughout.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:26 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
I would like to add this: Those who are blaming Ford for the recall or for decisions around the emissions system may be shooting at the wrong target. You can be assured that everything done or written about the emissions system is coordinated with or directed by the EPA or DOT (NHTSA). Ford probably has less control than you would think.
Hey, I agree wholeheartedly and now that you have read the thread I hope you noticed that I attempted to make the same point, or similar anyway. I really think the ford lawyers and nhtsa liaisons are responsible for all our headaches. Not the ford engine designers.

Quick Reply: Recall 2011-2014 F250-F550 6.7L 14E03