6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Recall 2011-2014 F250-F550 6.7L 14E03

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 11:37 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 908 Likes on 328 Posts
well, thats not necessarily english. I think we all just want a little more detail on what was done to solve the problem. I realize Ford probably wont disclose, but it would be nice if I no longer have to be concerned with changing a sensor alongside the road.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:37 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 92F350CC
So what if somebody who's had the recall done unplugs the sensor and tries to drive the truck? Would that give an idea of what happens?
I don't think so.. the error is the sensor giving an invalid value.. not NO value.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:43 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by djousma
well, thats not necessarily english. I think we all just want a little more detail on what was done to solve the problem. I realize Ford probably wont disclose, but it would be nice if I no longer have to be concerned with changing a sensor alongside the road.
I think there will have to be more time before that becomes clear.

if the temps are reduced in practice, does this really reduce/stop the sensor failure which appears to be causing the stop now alert.

I suspect that the engineers HOPE so, given probable lab tests..
whether trucks with sensors that have been run thru higher heat levels will last is an item that will take some time and some customer experience feedback.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:48 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by vloney
What exactly are you wanting to see? here's data for an f550----<table border="0" cellpadding="5"> <tbody><tr> <td nowrap="">PCM 1 </td> <td align="center">FFFF </td> <td align="center">FFFF </td> <td align="center">FF0C </td></tr> <tr> <td nowrap="">PCM 2 </td> <td align="center">FFFF </td> <td align="center">FFFF </td> <td align="center">F1FF </td></tr> <tr> <td nowrap="">PCM 3 </td> <td align="center">C841 </td> <td align="center">2F00 </td> <td align="center">42 </td></tr> <tr> <td nowrap="">PCM 4 </td> <td align="center">7321 </td> <td align="center">FFFF </td> <td align="center">FFA5 </td></tr> <tr> <td nowrap="">PCM 5 </td> <td align="center">FFFF </td> <td align="center">1F2F </td> <td align="center">FF60 </td></tr> <tr> <td nowrap="">PCM 6 </td> <td align="center">FFFF </td> <td align="center">FFFF </td> <td align="center">FF11 </td></tr> <tr> <td nowrap="">PCM 7 </td> <td align="center">FFFF </td> <td align="center">FFFF </td> <td align="center">FF12 </td></tr> <tr> <td nowrap="">PCM 8 </td> <td align="center">FFFF </td> <td align="center">FFFF </td> <td align="center">FF13 </td></tr> <tr> <td nowrap="">PCM 9 </td> <td align="center">FFFF </td> <td align="center">FFFF </td> <td align="center">FF14 </td></tr></tbody></table>

Easy- what does the recall DO? All we can do is speculate...

If the recall is a reflash that allows for a limp mode rather than a shut-down when an EGT sensor loses its mind, that's great news.

But if all it does is lengthen the existing regens while running a lower temp, in some mis-guided attempt to "save" an EGT sensor from failing, well, that's not that big a deal, imo.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:54 AM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ask your friendly neighborhood tuner programmer. They get into the code and modify things. I'm sure they'll tell you everything. Just like how they describe in detail how they improve performance with their tuners.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:03 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by BlackBeest
Easy- what does the recall DO? All we can do is speculate...

If the recall is a reflash that allows for a limp mode rather than a shut-down when an EGT sensor loses its mind, that's great news.

But if all it does is lengthen the existing regens while running a lower temp, in some mis-guided attempt to "save" an EGT sensor from failing, well, that's not that big a deal, imo.
come on man, think it thru.. over 1.6 million sensors on the road.

what do you DO?

1. you cannot replace them all, if the conditions which cause them to fail are not found and mitigated
2. you cannot install all new designed systems (dual, parallel ...)
3. the reason for the STOP NOW was because of a concern for some reason (I'm not the coder, designer, or exec making that decision, but you can expect it was pretty serious),, my 'guess' is the sensor reporting out of spec signals indicating real trouble..

IF one can reduce and/or eliminate the sensor reporting out of spec, then the condition which is driving the alert decision would go away, without changing the actual programming to handle that condition.

maybe 'enhanced drivability' means that the alert doesn't appear, or appears differently (limp mode), or something else we haven't considered.

Ford, nor any other manufacturer, is under no obligation to tell anyone exactly what a specific implementation means in raw detail.

IF we believe that the contributors on this forum had anything to do with the change, then if we look at our request it was to STOP being forced to pull over NOW.. If Ford achieves that result, do you CARE HOW they did it? I personally do not care which bit changed in the data VLONEY showed us. If the Gov't investigation prompted Ford to publish this recall, and it helps SOME, I'm good with that too..

edit: I also do not believe this will be the last action Ford will need to take on this topic

Old 01-27-2015, 12:12 PM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
come on man, think it thru.. over 1.6 million sensors on the road.

what do you DO?

1. you cannot replace them all, if the conditions which cause them to fail are not found and mitigated
2. you cannot install all new designed systems (dual, parallel ...)
3. the reason for the STOP NOW was because of a concern for some reason (I'm not the coder, designer, or exec making that decision, but you can expect it was pretty serious),, my 'guess' is the sensor reporting out of spec signals indicating real trouble..

IF one can reduce and/or eliminate the sensor reporting out of spec, then the condition which is driving the alert decision would go away, without changing the actual programming to handle that condition.

maybe 'enhanced drivability' means that the alert doesn't appear, or appears differently (limp mode), or something else we haven't considered.

Ford, nor any other manufacturer, is under no obligation to tell anyone exactly what a specific implementation means in raw detail.

IF we believe that the contributors on this forum had anything to do with the change, then if we look at our request it was to STOP being forced to pull over NOW.. If Ford achieves that result, do you CARE HOW they did it? I personally do not care which bit changed in the data VLONEY showed us. If the Gov't investigation prompted Ford to publish this recall, and it helps SOME, I'm good with that too..

Sam- maybe you mis-read my question. I wasn't asking what do WE do, I was asking what the recall does.

Everyone will categorize their priority of getting this recall done differently, and I think if we knew what it actually addressed, it would make it a much easier "go/no-go" decision.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:29 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Sam- maybe you mis-read my question. I wasn't asking what do WE do, I was asking what the recall does.

Everyone will categorize their priority of getting this recall done differently, and I think if we knew what it actually addressed, it would make it a much easier "go/no-go" decision.
>Ford, nor any other manufacturer, is under no obligation to tell anyone exactly what a specific implementation means in raw detail.

I'm gonna get the recall.. and carry my safety kit, and hope I never use it.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:30 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

I wasn't asking what WE (customers do).. I was asking you to put yourself in Ford's position and decide what to do..

Old 01-27-2015, 12:42 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
(snip)
I'm gonna get it the recall.. and carry my safety kit, and hope I never use it.
I think you mentioned you used to work for IBM? You sound like a retired IBM CE. Always prepared.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:55 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by djousma
I think you mentioned you used to work for IBM? You sound like a retired IBM CE. Always prepared.
Systems Engineer, 32 yrs.. more system implementation design and customer exploitation. But same..

Old 01-27-2015, 01:09 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Systems Engineer, 32 yrs.. more system implementation design and customer exploitation. But same..
haha. Now thats funny. Hope the rumors for tomorrow arent true.

Sorry for being off-topic for a second there..

Old 01-27-2015, 01:55 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Since I have lived with recalls or updates since 2004, you can ignore and go about your merry way or have it done if your truck was on the list. Ignore and go on will show up later if you stop by the dealer for a repair, which should not be a problem, and the Service writer should inform you.

They can tweak and adjust the programs on these trucks with no problem, is it for the best? You decide as an owner. No need to fix what is not broken but it could be a great improvement. From the information I have seen, EGT is lowered which is a good thing. I would rather have a longer regen than heat related damage.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:13 PM
X21bravo
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I had the recall done this morning on my 2012 f350kr with 32500 miles on it. First thing I noticed afterwards is on the display panel between speedo and tachometer the gear (1-6) indicator was gone. Called my service advisor and I was the first recall they have performed so they messaged ford and was told that after the recall it will not appear again until you press the +- button again. I pushed it and it showed up. After starting up later it showed up so I guess once you press the +- it stays on there. Also it seems to be shifting easier than before. I have only had the truck for just under 5000 and it use to lurch into 2nd gear and now it's smooth. That's all I've noticed so far.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:16 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by X21bravo
Ok I had the recall done this morning on my 2012 f350kr with 32500 miles on it. First thing I noticed afterwards is on the display panel between speedo and tachometer the gear (1-6) indicator was gone. Called my service advisor and I was the first recall they have performed so they messaged ford and was told that after the recall it will not appear again until you press the +- button again. I pushed it and it showed up. After starting up later it showed up so I guess once you press the +- it stays on there. Also it seems to be shifting easier than before. I have only had the truck for just under 5000 and it use to lurch into 2nd gear and now it's smooth. That's all I've noticed so far.
yes, usually when they do a computer update, it will reset things like the gear display to default mode..

Quick Reply: Recall 2011-2014 F250-F550 6.7L 14E03