Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Transfer Case Fluid Requirements

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 04:05 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
That's what I thought.
Judging by the number of failed transfer cases we have experienced in the last 15 years, I think we are fine with ATF. The AWD units in 1/2 tons and SUV's might be a different story.

I'm sticking with ATF in mine.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:23 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I posed that question to the guy over on his YouTube page, so we'll see what/if he replies.

Pop

Old 01-25-2015, 11:02 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow - I wonder what takes place inside in order for these transfer cases to blow like that......

Thanks for the pic Tom!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ners-read.html

Old 01-26-2015, 12:52 AM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just posted this in another thread...

I'm on to something her (possibly a divorce..... It's 1 a.m., I've been looking for days!!).

Reading for the last six hours I finally found headway at Bob is the oil guy, and the National Highway Safety Administrations Website, and The Administration for Highway Safety.

Who said they don't make MERCON anymore....

The ford specification for the Transfer Case Fluid (XL-12) is ESP-M2C166-H, when you look at the MSDS. The Specification in the database it's "Automatic Transmission Fluid, Dexron®, Dexron® II/IIE Trade Name Mercon, Specification #ESP-M2C166-H". Wow!

#M5040901 (Mercon V Liscense Number) which lists in addition to: "class III friction modifiers, acid reducers, and water-resistant additives bla bla bla corrosive bases. Of these, when you look them up, there is a **** load of bad things including "caustic with some aluminums and some other metals listed", guess what our transfer cases are made of?
The NHTSA has complaints in 2007 through 2014 for Automotive Transaxle, Differential, and Transfer Case failures causing accidents and injury to occupants, damage to property, and catastrophic failures. Of course, the Make Model and Persons names are redacted.

The National Fire Incident Reporting System (NFIRS) lists 23 Fires as a result of "Mechanical Failures" in 2007 for Ford F-150, 250, 350, and 550's (that's as recent as there data is).

In 2009 Ford applied for permission to use ESP-M2C166-H (Formerly MERCON) as "Ford Transfer Case Fluid" and was approved.
Amzoil has a note on there site when seeking fluids for Transfer Case stating Ford now uses only "XL-12 Transfer Case Fluid" and not to use MERCON V (but of course their Automat Transmission Fluid is approved as it has special additives).

Lastly, I found a Blackstone Laboratory Report posted on another forum from someone who submitted it because they were afraid damage had occurred to his 2005 F-250 Transfer case. The original was MERCON V which showed elevated Acid. The follow up using "XL-12" showed normal. In the remarks it states "it doesn't appear that the MERCON V caused any damage, all levels were normal.

Could this be it? Did Ford dicontinue an pervios product and replace it with one that didn't work as thought? And, then bring theri previous product back with a different name?

Conspiracy theroists want to know!

Old 01-26-2015, 08:28 AM
tjmike
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard about transfer cases going like that due to a bad double cardan joint. The joint stops flexing and the next weakest point breaks. I would like to understand how improper fluid would cause that particular type of failure.

The transfer case seems like it should be simpler and more robust than an auto transmission. If the fluid is in fact damaging to the the transfer case then I would be really paranoid about putting it in my transmission too. I would guess that the metals used in the auto transmission have similar properties and lubrication needs to those in the transfer case. The auto's clutches may have additional requirements. Generally speaking it would seem that the transfer case should be able to accept a wider range of fluids than the auto transmission.

Also, I suspect that many power steering systems may have been serviced with this fluid. What is the Ford recommendation there?

Old 01-26-2015, 12:01 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had to stop by the Ford dealer today for something else, so I asked about the correct fluid to use in the transfer case. The folks behind the parts counter knew to use the XL-12 transfer case fluid, it would take about 2 quarts, and it costs $8 per quart. I was glad to hear they were aware of the situation.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:00 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Thanks for all the research!

Old 01-26-2015, 10:16 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, thanks for all the research.
You did a good job of putting this to bed in your other thread.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rs-read-2.html
Post #26

Old 01-27-2015, 04:38 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Video's Are now Private

I noticed the Tech who put the Video on Youtube are now all private. Hope he didn't get in any trouble over all this.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:44 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by whitetmw
I noticed the Tech who put the Video on Youtube are now all private. Hope he didn't get in any trouble over all this.
I often wondered how his Ford dealer felt about him giving mechanical advise online. Both as a profit loss and liability side.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:52 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,755 Posts
Another revealer of truth suddenly silenced by larger business interests who would maintain an ignorant populace upon which to profit from?

Old 01-27-2015, 07:01 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
... and all it took was to reveal him here at FTE.

The POWER of FTE is again displayed!

Old 01-27-2015, 09:49 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,755 Posts
I was thinking more the power of video and pictures. And squeaky, relentless wheels like Tom who follow up with Ford directly. Naturally, he didn't mean to draw attention to the tech, only to the issue, which was vividly revealed via video.

I hate to see techs get censored from posting video and images (much more believable than words) that ultimately help consumers make better maintenance decisions, as well as better purchasing decisions.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:06 AM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Interesting thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-xl-12-a.html

Maybe now a little naive?

Old 01-30-2015, 11:54 AM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One more tid-bit. I picked up a couple of quarts of T-case fluid at the local (small) NAPA store yesterday and also looked at some Mercon V. I could not find the "not for use in transfer cases" warning on the bottle that was shown on another thread on this subject. Also the counter guy (young) stated that some fluids on Fords were supposedly "permanent" and did not need to be changed. Sounds a little suspect to me

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Fluid Requirements