Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Door Ajar message on my 2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 07:35 PM
Motsiball
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Ajar message on my 2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer

I'm new to the forum. I just bought a 2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer and have a problem I hope you all can help me with. I keep getting a door ajar message on my dash with a beeping sound when driving. I've opened and shut all the doors to make sure they are properly closed but it does not fix the problem. The interior light will also turn off and on randomly whether the car is on or not. What makes it more annoying is that when I lock the doors the alarm sounds, thus forcing me to leave the car unlocked at all times. I could not find any door buttons against the door frame so can't figure out why it thinks a door is open. Any ideas on how I can fix this or if a code reader will tell me which door is the problem?

Old 01-19-2015, 07:12 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

This is a very common issue that's been explored (no pun intended) several times on this forum through several threads. The more common cause is a worn switch that is located within the door latch assembly. There's a nice thread on this subject in the "Read First:" Explorer links one level up in this forum. You can try using an electrical contact cleaner (ie: NOT WD-40) sprayed in the latch mechanism while opening and closing the door a few times during the cleaning to see if that will resolve the issue, at least for the near term, and confirm the door with the issue.

There's a less common issue of broken wires within the accordion boot between the door and the cabin that can also cause this issue, as well as various other issues (power windows, power door locks, or speakers that don't work) but I'd start by cleaning the latch mechanism.

If you have access to a professional scan tool, the GEM module will be able to list which door it is identifying as ajar, but you'd have to be watching the variables real time or datalogging when it acts up. Since the driver's door typically sees the most use, it it the typical culprit. The liftgate glass probably comes in second as the issue, and that one is typically more a wiring issue.

-Rod

Old 01-22-2015, 03:43 PM
Renegade3064
New User
A family member of mine has an 03 Explorer that had this issue. Sprayed some contact cleaner in all four door latch mechanisms as well as the hatch latch and it fixed the problem. It has been working fine for a few years. I actually had the same problem on my 99 Super Duty and it was the same fix for that as well.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:46 PM
BigRondo
Junior User
I had similar electrical issues with my '02 XLT. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the alarm would beep twice when I armed it. Recently all 4 windows stopped working. Most recently the driver door lock actuator stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 3 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ. I had to repair the pink/black wire to fix the driver door lock actuator.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: How To: Remove/Replace 3rd Gen Door Panel - Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"®

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: How To: Fix the Door Ajar Problem - Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"®

Unfortunately the pictures are no longer available in the above thread. IIRC, I believe I unwrapped the wires enough to gain access. When I have gone searching in there I had an idea of what wire I was looking for. I located the the wire I was looking for and gently tugged on that wire on the door side. The wire was pulled toward me and out of the harness. I then went inside the vehicle and gently tugged on the the wire I was looking for and was able to pull it inside the vehicle. I then spliced a length of wire to the 2 ends, completing the circuit. I then gently pulled the excess into the door.

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.