6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

NHTSA probing F-Series with 6.7s

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 10:52 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,631 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Powerdude
The problem is that the EPA mandates all this stuff, and all these extra components are added to the truck.

Then people wonder why the h*** it breaks down.

I've worked with EPA people in Washington before (long story). These people are completely clueless wanna be do-gooders, but they are making the environment actually worse, not better, by all their regulations.

None of the could possibly understand why anybody who does not have to have a semi and haul 80k pounds would actually NEED a diesel truck, nor do they care.

They think a Prius can be used as a tow vehicle. They complain about garbage trucks being smoky. They complain about garbage doing to the garbage dump.

Ugh....you would believe the stories I could tell you. Maybe I'll write a book one of these days.
Kinda like complaining about farmers with a full tummy! Kinda like complaining about oil industry with a tank full of fuel! And I could go on and on!

Old 01-18-2015, 12:16 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
I'm not sure what is better? Sensor fails that monitor safety so they shut the truck down or they let it run with a CEL and you destroy engine / exhaust components.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport using IB AutoGroup
This is a programming problem that fails to do a double-check of downstream sensors to confirm the high temp reading of the failed sensor..
The only thing they can't do is ignore the last sensor on the truck because there are no sensors that can corroborate the reading from that sensor.

While I have not yet had the mispleasure of a failed EGT sensor, it has gotten me concerned enough to purchase two spares along with the 13mm flare wrench to keep in the truck.

Hopefully once they dig into this a little further, they will see that it is still the same sensors / problem all the way up the line to the 2015 trucks..

Old 01-18-2015, 01:01 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I never had a failure in my 6.4. Never bought a spare sensor either.

But this is a big enough problem that it needs to be addressed.

I have not had any issues in my 6.7 either.

It has the newer style sensor already though.

but still from a programming point of view I can understand they don't want a melt down but they need to build in another redundancy feature to by pass but yet ensure safe operation.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:58 PM
azking_Ranch
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BigFoot
MY thoughts exactly on the shutdown issue, strange why they use just one EGT going out of limits when they should flag it then start monitoring the others and if anymore go rogue then start the shutdown process.
Chuck

Old 01-18-2015, 08:24 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by azking_Ranch
BigFoot
MY thoughts exactly on the shutdown issue, strange why they use just one EGT going out of limits when they should flag it then start monitoring the others and if anymore go rogue then start the shutdown process.
Chuck
That is another point I made long ago. You'd think they could program it to read other sensors to see if they are too high and if not, just throw a CEL. Not a shut down.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:26 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
That is another point I made long ago. You'd think they could program it to read other sensors to see if they are too high and if not, just throw a CEL. Not a shut down.
The sensor in front of the DPF cannot tell how hot the DPF is.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:44 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Very true Sam. I guess I should elaborate. Even when measuring the EGT post turbo, they should know the temp range of every sensor at each location and be able to set ranges for each. If the pre dpf failed, the post one should read in its normal range, if not, then throw the code. If the pre one is too high, then you are looking at an overfueling problem of some sort. Like the 'Firebreathing Ford' on YouTube. I hope I am making sense as I am extremely tired...

Old 01-18-2015, 09:28 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,448 Likes on 894 Posts
Very true Sam. I guess I should elaborate. Even when measuring the EGT post turbo, they should know the temp range of every sensor at each location and be able to set ranges for each. If the pre dpf failed, the post one should read in its normal range, if not, then throw the code. If the pre one is too high, then you are looking at an overfueling problem of some sort. Like the 'Firebreathing Ford' on YouTube. I hope I am making sense as I am extremely tired...
Exactly....There's enough redundancy with other EGT sensors that Ford could rely on all the sensors to determine if there's a real thermal need to shut the engine off.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:44 PM
Wbwayne00
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck had these failures with 100,006 miles and they would not cover them..

Old 01-18-2015, 10:38 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,770 Posts
Originally Posted by Wbwayne00
My truck had these failures with 100,006 miles and they would not cover them..
Likewise with mine, too many miles for warranty even though the time wasn't that long.

Cost me over $400 to fix with the towing.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:03 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

as a professional programmer and system designer, I will says that if it was that easy, they would have done it. Ford doesn't MAKE the sensors, they buy them. requested specs, delivered specs and actual behavior are different things. They can't add a second sensor in any position to an existing truck, so that is not the fix.

I agree 10000000% it shouldn't shutdown, and I hope we get a change. I don't know WHY they decided that was what had to be done, but there was a pretty good reason.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:24 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
It is my understanding, when the '08s came out they did not shut down. Then the infamous fire breather was seen world wide and Ford did a reflash of the PCM as they couldn't handle another fiasco like the bad rep the 6.0 had gotten. So from them on, they shut down when it gets out of range. I've been told this by two different service managers and a couple of techs, but we need one of techs here to verify.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:00 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts
I would think they could put in another sensor for redundancy. If one fails it can read the other and keep going. A code can come on to tell you one went and give you time to prepare.
I know you can weld a bung on the exhaust at other places on the clock for access or redundancy.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:54 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by capt caper
I would think they could put in another sensor for redundancy. If one fails it can read the other and keep going. A code can come on to tell you one went and give you time to prepare.
I know you can weld a bung on the exhaust at other places on the clock for access or redundancy.
technically you MIGHT be able to put another sensor on, drill a hole, bung, ... but wiring, etc too... it would be way too expensive, and maintenance handling costs would be crazy.

we still don't have a double on any production vehicle.. so I'm pretty sure that would not be a path they could choose.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:59 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
A way to bypass the sensor to allow it to continue is probably the only way to go.

Quick Reply: NHTSA probing F-Series with 6.7s