6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

DEF nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 12:57 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I worked with a guy a few years back that got a new engine in his VW Jetta this way. Apparently some ******** kids went down his street and poured something into the fuel tanks of all the vehicles. His engine grenaded within a few days and luckily a few neighbors had issues too so it turned into a criminal case and thus insurance covered it. Might want to check with people in your area and maybe you got lucky and they poured it into the DEF tank instead of your fuel tank which would have cost alot more to fix. Good Luck

Old 01-16-2015, 02:10 PM
Dr. T
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would be a bit concerned over what they might have put into the fuel tank

Old 01-16-2015, 04:05 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. T
I would be a bit concerned over what they might have put into the fuel tank
You took the thoughts right out of my head. Maybe paying the dealer to drain the fuel system to look for anything untoward at this point wouldn't be a bad idea.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:45 PM
pjcinmi
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CT

May be a dump question. But what caused you to think you had a problem, or take the DEF tank apart ?

Old 01-16-2015, 06:55 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Very interesting pics John, I also think it could be fuel. Not sure what happens to fuel when it reacts with those gaskets and the DEF in the tank.

I'd also submit a claim to your insurance company. It's pretty clear that some foreign substance was put in the tank, and vandalism is a possible cause. Worst they can say is no, right?

Old 01-18-2015, 10:26 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is were I stand with the truck. I took pictures and a sample straight from the DEF tank. On Friday sent the sample to Black Stone - Labs in Indiana. Talked to the engineer and he told me that they could tell me the product that was put in the tank using a Spectrometer. We are waiting for the results.

On Thursday gave the dealer the go ahead since I had pics and sample. They fixed the truck and got it back to me on Friday, at a cost of $1600. He did give me a brake on parts to keep it at that. full price would have been more.

When I get the results from the lab I will post what they found. At that time I will attempt to put in a claim and see where it goes.

The sad part is only time that DEF tank is opened is to put DEF in. Just don't open it at all. But how do you prove it?

I bought a locking fuel door on E-bay Saturday and will install it as soon as I get it.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,770 Posts
What DEF supply have you been using? Jugs, or from a truck stop bulk pump?

Maybe the DEF you added was contaminated when you got it.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:58 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,449 Likes on 894 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
What DEF supply have you been using? Jugs, or from a truck stop bulk pump?

Maybe the DEF you added was contaminated when you got it.

Agree... That's why I only purchase DEF from a sealed container.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:06 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I get mine at wally world or an auto parts store.

While I could fill up at the truck stops I feel better by doing a separate refill process.

Since it is only once every 4500-5000 miles it is no big deal to add some in a rest stop parking or after I have pulled away from the pumps.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:10 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
I have yet to buy a single drop of DEF in a jug, buy all of mine from the pumps at truck stops and obviously have never had this issue.

But, I would still like to hear from the OP, where he got his last fill from.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:48 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4,005 Likes on 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by ct diesel
This is were I stand with the truck. I took pictures and a sample straight from the DEF tank. On Friday sent the sample to Black Stone - Labs in Indiana. Talked to the engineer and he told me that they could tell me the product that was put in the tank using a Spectrometer. We are waiting for the results.

On Thursday gave the dealer the go ahead since I had pics and sample. They fixed the truck and got it back to me on Friday, at a cost of $1600. He did give me a brake on parts to keep it at that. full price would have been more.

When I get the results from the lab I will post what they found. At that time I will attempt to put in a claim and see where it goes.

The sad part is only time that DEF tank is opened is to put DEF in. Just don't open it at all. But how do you prove it?

I bought a locking fuel door on E-bay Saturday and will install it as soon as I get it.
You do not have to! The fact that anyone could have vandalized your truck is all that is needed.....You are covered.
If the cap was locked....only you had the key....The cap wasn't broken into....Then it could have Only been you and your mistake. NO coverage.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:50 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4,005 Likes on 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I have yet to buy a single drop of DEF in a jug, buy all of mine from the pumps at truck stops and obviously have never had this issue.

But, I would still like to hear from the OP, where he got his last fill from.
I buy from the truck stops too.......no problems.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:39 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,449 Likes on 894 Posts
This is the second DEF contamination report I've read in the last month. Both purchased DEF from a pump, but that doesn't mean that is the source of the problem.

I've considered buying bulk DEF some time ago, but because of the risk of contamination, I decided to take the safe route and purchase from a sealed container, even if it's costs more.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:34 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
This is the second DEF contamination report I've read in the last month. Both purchased DEF from a pump, but that doesn't mean that is the source of the problem.

I've considered buying bulk DEF some time ago, but because of the risk of contamination, I decided to take the safe route and purchase from a sealed container, even if it's costs more.
Millions of gallons of DEF have been dispensed by the pumps at truck stops around the country with very little contamination reports, far less than what happens with diesel fuel that we ALL buy from the pump.

But, knowing if this particular incident was contaminated pump DEF would give others a heads up on where NOT to buy DEF.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:04 PM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Last DEF bought was at "Sams" whole sale foods. Brand "Peak" the same brand I buy at "Auto zone".

Quick Reply: DEF nightmare