6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Horsepower, torque and fuel economy, Could the 6.0 be the best all around diesel engine ever made?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 09:37 PM
Poor'it in'her
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the Biggest problems people have with the 6.0 is it's Sooo capable you don't think that you can break it. You definitely have to use common sense!

Old 01-04-2015, 10:37 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

Ok you hijackers, back to the original question...
I think it is one of the best, but the design limitations built in prevented it from reaching it's full potential in the years in was offered. Ford was back pedaling it trying to keep the head gaskets in it - the latest flash is proof. It was a game changer when it was released, offering more power than the Dodge or GM engines, but they quickly passed it by when Ford started pulling power out of it instead of increasing it. Now we have to tune them to get them back to the original power.
Many folks have gotten over 20 mpg with their 6.0's, the mid range torque is impressive to say the least, and I don't really care what the horsepower rating is on them. Had it been designed a little better, tested longer and debugged, it might enjoy the same legendary status as the 7.3 and Cummins. Instead, it is the Rodney Dangerfield of truck engines. Loved by a few, feared by many, and hated by some.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:49 PM
Jeff Watts
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Delete the EGR and the cat, put studs in it, and gauges, and it's an awesome engine. Gauges of some sort are of the highest importance. My 6.0 is sitting in the driveway melted down because I didn't know there was a problem until it got so hot that it melted the oil filter stand pipe. Now I get to build a new engine, when a cell phone app would've gotten me out of it with just a new oil cooler.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:54 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
I'm glad you brought this up as I felt somewhat responsible for hi-jacking this thread; but only a little bit because each post led to the other.

Is it the best diesel? I would still say ... it's depending on what's important to you. I would rank Reliability first, economy second.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:41 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

If they would have put 6 bolts around each cylinder, made the pushrods the right length, used a good hpo pump and had a reliable delivery system, and used a bigger oil cooler or did something to keep it from plugging, they would have had a winner. All trucks eat injectors, they all have electrical problems, the 6.0 wouldn't have been any more problematic than any of the others.
My personal jury is still out on the bedplate design, it is one robust unit, but it's a pita to work with, and gives another place for oil to escape. I've never worked so hard in my life to plastigauge 5 main bearings. 20 bolts, torqued to 170 lbs/ft, then you have to undo them, check the clearance, and do it all over again.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:12 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
A 6.0 truck is going to be your best bang for the buck of newer diesels

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-05-2015, 07:14 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by John Irwin
If they would have put 6 bolts around each cylinder, made the pushrods the right length, used a good hpo pump and had a reliable delivery system, and used a bigger oil cooler or did something to keep it from plugging, they would have had a winner. All trucks eat injectors, they all have electrical problems, the 6.0 wouldn't have been any more problematic than any of the others.
My personal jury is still out on the bedplate design, it is one robust unit, but it's a pita to work with, and gives another place for oil to escape. I've never worked so hard in my life to plastigauge 5 main bearings. 20 bolts, torqued to 170 lbs/ft, then you have to undo them, check the clearance, and do it all over again.
The bed plate design is what makes the 6.0 and 6.4 so stout on the rotating assembly. You almost never hear of problems with the rotating assembly.

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-05-2015, 09:12 AM
Poor'it in'her
Senior User
And with the traveler trove of upgrade parts for this engine the 6.0, it seems like we'll have unlimited parts for years and years to come and they should only get more affordable. The displacement for the 6.0 it's perfect without it we could not have the timeless beauty in the way of cabs for these engines. I still look at my truck and think I can put it up with any era truck and it still shines like a diamond a good look at 03-07 superduty or excursion is hard to beat.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:01 AM
Jeff Watts
Elder User
Yeah, this series of truck is like the 79's. It hit the look perfectly.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I spent about $4K on mine since new. Had ect/eot deltas so had a guy recommended that was the lead tech at a ford dealer. He took the truck did new Head gaskets arp studs, new OEM improved oil cooler and a bpd EGR cooler (we have emissions testing here). He updated to all the TSB's did all that was required but DID NOT change the computer flash per my direction. Granted it is a garage queen with only 50K on it but it pulls out TT and is our long distance travel veh. So as far as I can tell deletes are not really required based on my experience just a better egr cooler is needed. Last time over wolf creek pass with the TT I think I had about 20 deg deltas, but that is a long pull and goes to almost 11000 ft. The truck comfortable and the wife likes its power and general economy (19 or so at 75-80mph, 2350 rpm). My BIL works his to death and does not take care of it and still prefers it to a new 6.7 that he test drove. He did have a new/improved intercooler installed and runs archoil for the injectors. So yes with time and the installation of the right mods it can be a very good engine/vehicle. We just got a MH and I looked for a diesel engine in one. found 2 6.0's but wife had issues with one and I had issues with the other. The engines did not have any issues per test drive with the SG installed. Ended up with a V10, still wish I could have found a 6.0!

Old 01-05-2015, 12:11 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

Originally Posted by Jeff Watts
Yeah, this series of truck is like the 79's. It hit the look perfectly.

For your viewing pleasure... my 79

I know...highjack...

Old 01-05-2015, 12:39 PM
Jeff Watts
Elder User
[Like] Nice truck.