1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What did you get done this year?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 11:51 AM
sere0501
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a little time on my hands so let's see....
I bough this 49 after it had been sitting for almost 15 years.

Took care of this kind of stuff

Got it to run and even light up

After I switched it to 12v and electronic ignition

I wanted it to stop so I did this

I wanted to see what was lurking under the grey primer so I did this too

Tore everything out of the cab

And now it's at the shop getting interior paint and exterior clear-coat.

When I get it back I want to:
rewire it
install new seals around doors etc
anti rattle kit
side mirrors
install turn signals
put on new shoes
and drive the heck out of it

I left out a bunch, but you get the idea.....

Old 12-28-2014, 12:52 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Early in the year I swapped out my stock Holley for a new Rochester 2G, which has about a 50% increase in max flow. But I have had poor luck tuning by ear and seat-of-the-pants, so I also installed an Innovate Air/Fuel Monitor (AFM). It is just amazing what I've learned with the AFM!

The Rochester is a huge improvement, the power valve is not subject to the problems that Holleys have. The carb itself hasn't leaked a single drop of fuel in a year, I could never say that about the Holleys I've had on there. I haven't even wiped it off in a year, the pic below is after a full year's operation.

I've found that very small changes in the idle mix screws on either the Holley or the Rochester make a big difference in cruise air/fuel ratio (= economy). With the AFM I could also see the Rochester's PV was coming in too quickly for my altitude, so I was able to shim it and delay its operation, = more economy. Overall a really valuable tool, because you can't feel or hear any difference in the way it runs, yet I reduced fuel burned by almost 20%. The AFM also has a digital output so you can log the ratios while driving on a laptop (below).

This year I also found out that for the last 10 years I've had my heater fan wired up to suck, not blow! Easy fix, big difference in output, needless to say.

Attached Images    
Old 12-28-2014, 02:24 PM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finished the 48 in early summer and had a lot of fun driving it around. Drove it to Williams for a car show and to Scotsdale this fall for Goodguys. It's a hoot to drive looking forward to spring.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:44 PM
sere0501
Senior User
ChuckRob,
I love the Cragars! Did you find them in 5x5.5? Also, what size are they. Thanks!

Old 12-28-2014, 06:46 PM
sere0501
Senior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Early in the year I swapped out my stock Holley for a new Rochester 2G, which has about a 50% increase in max flow. But I have had poor luck tuning by ear and seat-of-the-pants, so I also installed an Innovate Air/Fuel Monitor (AFM). It is just amazing what I've learned with the AFM!

The Rochester is a huge improvement, the power valve is not subject to the problems that Holleys have. The carb itself hasn't leaked a single drop of fuel in a year, I could never say that about the Holleys I've had on there. I haven't even wiped it off in a year, the pic below is after a full year's operation.

I've found that very small changes in the idle mix screws on either the Holley or the Rochester make a big difference in cruise air/fuel ratio (= economy). With the AFM I could also see the Rochester's PV was coming in too quickly for my altitude, so I was able to shim it and delay its operation, = more economy. Overall a really valuable tool, because you can't feel or hear any difference in the way it runs, yet I reduced fuel burned by almost 20%. The AFM also has a digital output so you can log the ratios while driving on a laptop (below).

This year I also found out that for the last 10 years I've had my heater fan wired up to suck, not blow! Easy fix, big difference in output, needless to say.
Great info Ross, thanks! What did it set you back if I might ask.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:49 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by sere0501
Great info Ross, thanks! What did it set you back if I might ask.
About $250 for the carb and adapter, about $150 for the AFM

Old 12-28-2014, 06:54 PM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by bchrismer

Mate, that is just perfect!

Old 12-28-2014, 07:10 PM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
This year I...
fitted a stereo,
electric wiper motor, changed wheel boxes,
ordered US style rego plates,
mastered the bloody one wire alternator!
bought a jag and pulled front end out for truck, updated jag components, brakes, ball joints etc
bought a rhd dash
bought some American racing wheels for truck, had them modified to fit jag front.
fitted a set of thermatic fans
fitted electric windows,
fitted Altman latches
fitted lap sash belts
fitted Autoloc universal crank switch for windows
fitted weatherstrip kit
bought rhd firewall
repaired some rust areas
new radiator and thermo fan
new extra long wiper arms
new reversing lights
fitted cabin seatbelt roof mounts
had some welding work done on cabin.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:37 PM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sere0501
ChuckRob,
I love the Cragars! Did you find them in 5x5.5? Also, what size are they. Thanks!
Yes they are 5x5.5 the fronts are 7 wide and the rears are 8. Bought the tires and wheels as a package from Summit, they came mounted, balanced and free shipping too.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:43 PM
sere0501
Senior User
Originally Posted by ChuckRob
Yes they are 5x5.5 the fronts are 7 wide and the rears are 8. Bought the tires and wheels as a package from Summit, they came mounted, balanced and free shipping too.
Thank you kindly! I doubt they'd ship to AK for free, but I'm gonna check it out. Nice ride by the way. I believe I read a thread that mentioned your wheel/tire set up before, but can I ask what size tires are on the rear? Thanks,

Old 12-28-2014, 09:14 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Well this year I got my 54 running after two years. Well I should say my brother in law got it running. It stopped running in September of 2012. That is in part why I bought my 1970 F350 flatbed dump. I tried everything my knowledge and tools would allow to try to get my truck running. I finally gave up. Then my brother in law ,whom I had been picking his brain over the phone said he would come to pick it up with his trailer in May of this year.

Long story short, after a lot of little fixes, he got it running good after he installed a good distributor I bought from Dennis Leeking a member here. I have been using it as a second vehicle on dry days since our son is using our second car for his new full time job he got just out of college. I use the F350 on rainy or snowy days.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:18 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks like a great year for old Ford trucks. I got the last of my body work done. painted, and installed - rear fenders.

and made a bed out of trex deck.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:49 AM
fladoodle
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by das54
looks like a great year for old Ford trucks. I got the last of my body work done. painted, and installed - rear fenders.

and made a bed out of trex deck.
Is that glacier blue? If so, where did you get it? Just wondering to get an idea of what my truck will end up looking like someday.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:55 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice work guys. 2014 was a bust as far as progress on my projects. If I can get a fraction of the work done I see here, 2015 will be a huge step forward.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:25 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Picked up my truck in April, when I got home she was not in as good of shape as I though so before and after pic

And the after

Cab today

Quick Reply: What did you get done this year?