6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Locking Fuel Cap??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 11:56 PM
k7lvo
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I commonly hear 3 reasons for no self-serve:
1. It takes a "professional" to pump gas.
2. Where else would the pump jockeys be able to get a job?

These 2 combined are either comical or frightening...

However, the REAL reason:
3. A bunch of people in this state would rather sit in their cars than pump their own gas.

(You can get around it by using card lock stations.)

Old 12-20-2014, 07:37 AM
garmford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
Doesn't have to be a bad neighborhood. It could be what someone would consider a prank. Many years ago, my neighbor had his gas tank filled with sugar by some punk kid. Just a few years ago, my yard was wrapped as a prank because my son was a teenager who broke a girl's heart. What's to stop someone from messing with your tank? Additionally, someone who sees a nice truck in the driveway and gets jealous (or a Ram owner who wants to exploit the "issues" with the CP4 pump to prove a point), may decide to take out his frustrations on you in the form of a half gallon of water. It doesn't have to be a high crime area to feel better about extra protection from contaminants introduced intentionally. Nothing wrong with adding a locking cap or door if it helps you leep better. There are a few jerks out there.
This why I asked the question. I know that I am really nieve to think that this would ever happen to me or anyone else only because I would never even think of doing it to anyone either. I never even thought about theft. It's a shame when us honest people need to take extra steps and expense to protect us from the dishonest! Have a Merry Christmas all!!

Old 12-20-2014, 07:38 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NHMatt
Could you guys post a link where to buy the locking fuel cap(s) you're using for the 2011-2015?

Thanks much.

Rock Auto has them - $7 to $12 depending on the name brand though they all look the same

RockAuto Parts Catalog

As far as why have one - it just makes you think before you dump in some DEF (and of course lessen the chance of fuel being stolen or some idiot playing very expensive 'games' - like an ex boyfriend of your GF or wife)

Old 12-20-2014, 08:36 AM
Adobe 11SD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonrjen
Simple answer would be to put a lock on the trucks fuel fill door. You can either order the door as an aftermarket item or put a cam style lock on your current door. There is a pretty good write up on the forum here somewhere on how to do it.
I installed the cam style lock on the door a couple of years ago. The reason that I did it was that I ended up with contaminated DEF while the truck was at the dealership for another issue (sat there overnight). Had no CEL when dropped off had the CEL as soon as I left.

The conversation with them did not go well and I ended up making a claim on my insurance.

A few things that I considered.1) If a vandal breaks into the fuel door on the truck I know not to start it and have the chance to get it checked out before damage is done. 2) If I find that I have contaminated fuel (and no damage to door, etc) I have a basis for going back to the station that I last pumped fuel from and getting their insurance to cover it - considering that I will also have the receipt with the mileage, date, time, etc. 3) If I had done this sooner I doubt that I would have had the original issue with the dealership. 4) Whether or not this has or will prevent contaminated fuel or DEF I sleep easier at night knowing that I have done what I can to avoid that problem.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:39 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a locking fuel cap on both my trucks fuel fill and the fuel fill on my aux 40 gallon in bed fuel tank. Why..........just because. Plus I like adding new stuff to my truck from time to time for no reason what so ever.