6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

They won't install my cab lights with sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 01:56 PM
superdutyon37s
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sgt93
And the reason why I spent, what, $49 or so for them when having the truck built. What a PITA.
Tell me about it! To be honest I was so excited about the truck and being able to get the Platinum that I didn't even realize not having cab lights. You would think the Platinum would come with them automatically.

Even if I asked the dealer to have them added, I wouldn't have had any luck, because I called 3 places that the dealers in the area send their trucks to for this procedure and none of them will touch it.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:57 PM
superdutyon37s
Senior User
Originally Posted by my_crib_too
I would get an estimate from

Concours Auto Work
9508 West National Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53227
(414) 321-4200

They do really nice work.

bruce...
Called them and they don't "do that stuff" I was told...

Old 12-19-2014, 06:43 PM
garmford
Senior User
Did you try Truck Outfitters in West Bend?

Old 12-19-2014, 06:53 PM
jh225
Elder User
Originally Posted by superdutyon37s
Tell me about it! To be honest I was so excited about the truck and being able to get the Platinum that I didn't even realize not having cab lights. You would think the Platinum would come with them automatically.
I searched TONS of Platinums until I found the correct one, including Roof lights ($55 option). You would be amazed at just how many SD do not get ordered with them. All depends on the dealer doing the ordering. Some put them in the majority, some put them in very few.

Like you said, I feel it should be standard, but then again, so should freakin' rear wheel liners and mud flaps.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:33 PM
tryingaford
Freshman User
Do you know a good body shop/collision center that you trust or have used in the past with good results? These are the guys that know the headliners and the airbags and also wiring harness challenges better than anyone. Do your own homework as far as a template for the factory location or where you want the lights, have them marked on your roof and have it done. Good luck

Old 12-20-2014, 12:53 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
its cab lights, its not spinal surgery! just get it done son.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:28 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Skip1970
its cab lights, its not spinal surgery! just get it done son.
My feelings also. It's very doable for anyone with basic tools and skills. I did my last set on a '12 Lariat Ultimate hanging out of his sunroof with him using my iPhone for a flashlight as it was pitch dark outside. Hardest part on the 08+ trucks is snaking the wiring harness into the dash. And even that isn't bad.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:18 AM
superdutyon37s
Senior User
Originally Posted by garmford
Did you try Truck Outfitters in West Bend?
Sure did. No go.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:22 AM
roadrunner01
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
So I have to ask why you didn't just order them with the truck? Have you contacted your or another dealer about installing?

Every truck I've bought I ordered as I wanted so not to deal with aftermarket. I'm sure someone will install these for you, but there is a reason why so many have turned the job down already.

On a side note, I'm glad they're not standard as I don't like them, but thats me. For them to be standard you need a dually as DOT regs pertain to truck width.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:40 AM
superdutyon37s
Senior User
Originally Posted by UGA33
My feelings also. It's very doable for anyone with basic tools and skills. I did my last set on a '12 Lariat Ultimate hanging out of his sunroof with him using my iPhone for a flashlight as it was pitch dark outside. Hardest part on the 08+ trucks is snaking the wiring harness into the dash. And even that isn't bad.
Understandable from someone who has done it before. The fact that the 3 places who do these all the time for the dealerships have ALL turned me down doesn't make me feel any more comfortable.

It's not rocket science I understand that. However, I am self employed with 5 employees and 3 jobs going everyday so I need to find the time to be able to do it and stick to it until it's done.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:46 AM
superdutyon37s
Senior User
Originally Posted by roadrunner01
So I have to ask why you didn't just order them with the truck? Have you contacted your or another dealer about installing?

Every truck I've bought I ordered as I wanted so not to deal with aftermarket. I'm sure someone will install these for you, but there is a reason why so many have turned the job down already.

On a side note, I'm glad they're not standard as I don't like them, but thats me. For them to be standard you need a dually as DOT regs pertain to truck width.
First off I bought a 13' in 2014 so the truck was almost a full year old. I purchased it for the 0% financing along with the rebates.

Second, if you read the thread I stated I was so excited to even get the truck originally that I didn't notice there wasn't any cab lights.

Third, as I stated earlier in the thread also, the dealer sends them out, and all three places in the area the dealers send them out, they are not interested in doing them for me.

Now I'm no rocket scientist, but, if a PROFESSIONAL who does these everyday doesn't want to do them, then that makes me a little nervous about doing it myself.

Im 31 years old and this is my FIRST brand new vehicle that I've busted my A** for and the price tag of $64,000 scares me a little when your are drilling holes into it.

Again, I will eventually tackle it with my buddy it's just finding the time and courage to just get it done. I know I can do it, it's just easier to pay someone else while I continue to do what I know best.

What really has me nervous is the fact that everyone here says it's so easy, but the professionals won't touch it. So I'll listen here for a bit longer until I get the time to tackle it myself!

Old 12-20-2014, 11:08 AM
roadrunner01
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by superdutyon37s
First off I bought a 13' in 2014 so the truck was almost a full year old. I purchased it for the 0% financing along with the rebates.

Second, if you read the thread I stated I was so excited to even get the truck originally that I didn't notice there wasn't any cab lights.

Third, as I stated earlier in the thread also, the dealer sends them out, and all three places in the area the dealers send them out, they are not interested in doing them for me.

Now I'm no rocket scientist, but, if a PROFESSIONAL who does these everyday doesn't want to do them, then that makes me a little nervous about doing it myself.

Im 31 years old and this is my FIRST brand new vehicle that I've busted my A** for and the price tag of $64,000 scares me a little when your are drilling holes into it.

Again, I will eventually tackle it with my buddy it's just finding the time and courage to just get it done. I know I can do it, it's just easier to pay someone else while I continue to do what I know best.

What really has me nervous is the fact that everyone here says it's so easy, but the professionals won't touch it. So I'll listen here for a bit longer until I get the time to tackle it myself!
My apolgies, I wasn't attacking you but I never read in this thread that you purchased a new one year old truck. Maybe check another dealer as my local dealer does most of this in-house. Someone somewhere will put these in for you, but as you have already found it may not be the best idea.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:56 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
3 hours is about all it takes. My first set I did was an 08 for my buddy back in 2007. Truck had just drove off the lot a week prior. I understand the fact that the truck is expensive. I don't consider myself a professional. I saw one poor guy post up pics of his that a shop did and they didn't even get the spacing right on the roof. With the resources on this site, anything is possible on these trucks for most people. Heck, if you want to drive to Ga I'll do it for free.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:26 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts
I bet these aftermarket installers don't use the OEM Ford Cab lights. That is why they won't sit well on that area. This happened to me once.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:35 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
boy i wish you lived closer wed have them on today! and youd learn something.

Quick Reply: They won't install my cab lights with sunroof