New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hello from PA - 1987 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 08:49 AM
nezwick
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello from PA - 1987 F-150

Hey everybody, last week I purchased a well-worn 1987 F-150. It meets all of my requirements: MANUAL TRANSMISSION, 8' bed, and single cab. The V-8 and 4x4 are bonuses. Odometer reads 2,100 but we assume it's really 202,100.

It needs the following to be safe/functional:
- rear leaf spring hangers and shackles
- exhaust system patched or replaced
- parking brake cables
- rust repair... of course! some minor, some major; but the frame is good
- gas tank straps

Otherwise it's all stock and it's going to stay that way, except for deletion of the smog-crap and addition of a Class III receiver and hitch to pull my 5x8 trailer.

I have a car for a daily driver so this truck will be used for occasional homeowner work like hauling dirt, gravel, lawnmower, furniture, etc.; and also used for my "hobby" that I'm very passionate about: architectural salvage. I go into pre-1900 houses being torn down or renovated and carefully remove the woodwork, doors, flooring, windows, etc. - anything that can be re-used or re-purposed instead of going into a landfill.

I do all my own work on my vehicles, so I'll be consulting this forum a lot. I grew up with a 1978 full size Bronco 351M and then a 1991 F-150 XLT Lariat (heavy half conversion, lifted and bagged, 5.8 and 5-speed) so I am somewhat familiar with these - but it's the first truck I've owned myself.

Look forward to learning all there is to know about my 8th gen F-150.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:26 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for joining, it's great to have you here.

Tony

Old 12-15-2014, 03:06 PM
ATS Junior
SPONSOR
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Damn, that thing is going to be a fun truck with it being manual! Sounds like a pretty decent barn find with only 2,100 miles on it

No holes in the frame?

Old 12-15-2014, 07:44 PM
nezwick
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frame is in great condition for the year! It's got a little flaky rust on the outside edges from lack of undercoating but my father and I both looked it over pretty thoroughly (with flashlights and mirrors) and found no holes or cracks in the frame. The truck did get a Ziebart treatment early in life so I'm sure that helped.

The title states "Mileage exceeds mechanical limits" so I don't even know, nor do I really care.

The manual transmission was really important to find because I can't stand driving automatics, especially with a trailer on. According to the PO, the clutch was replaced approximately 3 years ago. This is going to have a major learning curve though because in my cars I have always just slammed through the gears with a flick of the wrist (short-throw shifters and bronze/nyloil bushings always); but there is nothing quick or short about changing gears in this beast.

I wonder if anybody makes a kit to reduce the shifter throw and timing. Or maybe the synchros can't handle that. I learned pretty quick what the "grannie gear" was and why it isn't used in normal driving!

Old 12-16-2014, 04:48 PM
ATS Junior
SPONSOR
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmmm, not too sure about the short throw. If you need anything suspension related shoot me a message. I'd be more than happy to help a fellow forum member!

Good luck with the new truck!

Old 12-16-2014, 09:18 PM
r___r
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum.