1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Kurt's 1954 F-100 Labor of Love

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 08:50 PM
oldwi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome!

Looking forward to seeing the progress on your truck and it is cool your daughter is interested and wants to drive it when she gets old enough.

I am from the KC area...up by World's of Fun....but was originally from Scott City, Kansas which is 45 miles south of Oakley where your truck came from.

Alan

Old 12-16-2014, 05:51 PM
Michael Levy
Junior User
Fuel Pump problem

So, I ordered a fuel pump for my 54 f100 6cyl 223, and I got a bigger pump, that is apparently called a dual action fuel and vacuum pump AC 4131, which is the bigger one in the picture. What I took off is the smaller one. What is the difference? I'm assuming I probably can't use the big one. Can anyone enlighten me?

Old 12-16-2014, 06:20 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
The dual fuel/vacuum pump was used to operate the vacuum wipers and brakes. You could use it but I'd try to get one that's just a fuel pump unless you're running vacuum wipers.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:50 PM
Michael Levy
Junior User
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
The dual fuel/vacuum pump was used to operate the vacuum wipers and brakes. You could use it but I'd try to get one that's just a fuel pump unless you're running vacuum wipers.
Thanks for the reply . But, what could be the harm if I use the dual pump? Also, does anyone know a part number or proper nomenclature for the smaller one?

Old 12-16-2014, 09:01 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
You can probably use it. It will just be sucking and puffing without the vacuum hooked up. I'd put something on the intake to keep it from sucking junk into the vacuum side of the pump though.

Looks like 54 & older are different than 55 up 223 6 Cylinders. Rock Auto has one for $35.00; AIRTEX Part # 9787. You might be able to cross it at one of the local Auto parts stores.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:10 AM
Michael Levy
Junior User
You can probably use it. It will just be sucking and puffing without the vacuum hooked up. I'd put something on the intake to keep it from sucking junk into the vacuum side of the pump though.

Looks like 54 & older are different than 55 up 223 6 Cylinders. Rock Auto has one for $35.00; AIRTEX Part # 9787. You might be able to cross it at one of the local Auto parts stores.
Only prob is the airtex does not have the original glass bowl. Was hoping to keep it original looking.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:17 AM
Michael Levy
Junior User
Progress - Problems

Wanted to report that I rebuilt the carb and placed it back on the manifold, sent back the fuel/vacuum pump and ordered the fuel pump with glass bowl. Should receive the day after Christmas. Now I'm working on removing the fuel tank, so I can clean/reline or replace, along with a new fuel sender and and fuel lines.

Getting the fuel tank off is a bear. I am stumped. All of the bolts on the bracket that hold on the tank are frozen. Cant really get to the ones up high. If I could get to them with a sawzaw or something I would just cut them off.

Anyone out there have any experience with this. The tank has been empty and drained and airing out for over a week now, so I am not too concerned about creating sparks on outside of tank.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:42 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
You can't remove or cut the two mounting straps? I don't have a lot of patience in my old age so the torch comes out if I have too much problem removing things. It's amazing how heat often persuades things to come off. And if not I cut them. or

Old 12-22-2014, 01:15 PM
Michael Levy
Junior User
I can get to the straps to cut them, but the tank is also held on by two brackets. Each bracket is held on by 2 bolts on the underside (horizontal), and two on the vertical side. The vertical bolts are very difficult to get to. I think if I cut the straps and remove the aft bracket, I slide the tank out.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:13 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Old 12-22-2014, 09:26 PM
Michael Levy
Junior User

Boo yah!

Old 12-22-2014, 10:59 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Sweet success!

Old 12-23-2014, 11:13 PM
ike55
5th Wheeling
Congratulations on taking on such a project for an honorable cause. I too am working on a similar project. My '55 was originally my grandfathers since new, then my dad's for a while. I always knew that I wanted one of these long before I could drive. I am building this into a custom with modern suspension and drive train, in honor of my dad and grand dad, since I know they would appreciate what I am doing to it. If yours goes as many do, you will be inspired and work real hard for a while, then life will get in the way and it will go untouched until something inspires you to work on it again. I originally was going to do a little body work and a paint job. Here I am 22 years later still working on it, but with a completely different vision. So, hang in there and enjoy the journey!

Old 01-04-2015, 03:55 PM
Michael Levy
Junior User

As purchased 223.

In my garage. Ready to get to work.

Changed the oil and tried to fire her up. Nothing.

Replace the new 6v battery with a 12v battery, the solenoid and battery/starter cables. She Fired right up.

Fuel wasn't getting to the carb, so I ordered a new fuel pump and rebuilt the carb. Both have glass bowls...one of the things I love about this old truck.

Decided to replace whole fuel system. Removed tank. Rusty bolts made this difficult. Cleaned inside of tank with muriatic acid, rinsed and dried. Re-lined tank with Red Kote. During coating process, I dropped a fill tube inside of tank and could not get it out. By the time we finally fished it out, I had mucked up the lining. The fuel line fitting was stripped out too, so I decided to order a new tank from mid fifty. Ordered new lines, and straps. Cleaned and painted brackets.

Waiting on tank and straps, so I decided to remove the valve cover and take a peak inside.

Sanded, primed and painted the valve cover. Replaced gaskets. Ordered a new oil filler cap.

Brand new looking valve cover. Trying to figure out what the circled kazoo like looking thing I circled might be. Anyone know?

Old 01-04-2015, 07:04 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Looks like a resistor to me.

Quick Reply: Kurt's 1954 F-100 Labor of Love