1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building up the fleet - your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 10:43 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Building up the fleet - your thoughts?

So, currently I have a 2006 Amarillo (my daily driver), a 2001 Audi allroad (my wife's daily driver), and a 1989 Fox Mustang that's quite built up (my toy). A little background info - I work as an automotive technician and the wife owns a salon. We have 2 kids - 7 and 3, both still in car seats. We make monthly trips back to my parent's place (3.5 hours away). I haul scrap and used tires from work along with trailering cars pretty regularly. My wife hauls the kids to and from school every day. We live in Iowa and get quite a bit of snow and cold weather along with hot summer weather. We both do a fair amount of traveling be it conventions, Craiglist deals, etc.

I've come to the conclusion that we need a truck without a doubt. Between scrap and used tires weekly along with hauling a car on a trailer monthly and using it also for home repairs it gets a fair amount of use. Also, I regularly have other technicians riding in it during lunch time. I haul a fair amount of car parts between the city I live in and the area my parents live. Current truck is a 6.0 Powerstroke, 4WD, Super Crew, automatic, short bed. It's already bulletproofed with all the HPO system upgrades, 4.5" lift, 35" tires, 08+ upgrades, etc. It's been an amazing truck so far. It's a little overkill for what I need for daily use, but I really enjoy the diesel along with yellow being my favorite color. This is the one vehicle I think will stay as I've yet to find anything that could possibly replace it.

The one vehicle I would like to replace at this time is my wife's Audi. The main reason I'd like to sell it is because it's a manual, and we're growing out of it. The kids are getting bigger and I'm tired of driving manual trans in the city. I love the wagon, the AWD, and the higher ground clearance. It's also safe, averages 20+ MPG, and is decently quick. My gripe right now is that it's getting old and is eventually going to start nickel and diming me. Also, with it being almost 14 years old it could use replacement, especially since I have to trust it to not break down and leave my wife and kids stranded along with me if we're on a road trip.

I won't really get into the Mustang. Basically it's a toy - 331, supercharger, Viper T-56, built rear end, Baer front and rear brakes, built suspension, etc. It's away for the winter anyways. It's fast as hell and is fun, but eventually it will get me in trouble. It's all paid for and ready to rock, so I'm not worried about it sitting in the garage.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:53 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With all that being said - I am highly debating getting a 2013+ Ford Flex. Ecoboost, AWD, and fully loaded. They are insanely comfortable, roomy, fairly quick, decent on fuel, and pretty proven at this point. I'm thinking that at this point since I've already got a lifted truck that can go off-road we could use more of a "grand touring" vehicle. The truck can handle gravel and back roads duty when needed for our family since it's lifted and 4WD, and is still great in the snow. The Flex could handle the long on-road trips and would be a great vehicle in the snow because of the AWD and ground clearance. I'm thinking we don't really need an SUV as they generally are 4WD (RWD), get bad fuel economy, or don't ride that great. We were looking at 4-door Wranglers but they're expensive, don't get that great of fuel mileage, and have almost no options. We could probably get by with a sedan car, but I would definitely miss the wagon for the road trips, plus the Flex could fit 7 people if needed.

What would you guys do in my situation?