6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Front Axle and E-locker or air locker ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 09:04 AM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Axle and E-locker or air locker ???

So my new truck has the rear e-locker from the factory and I want to have the ability to lock the front end at will also. I'm not sure if I'll go electric or air, but leaning towards electric if I can find one? I would also like to know what front axle we have in the new super duty trucks so I can gauge my options. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:22 AM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
You have a 35 spline Dana 60 which is heavily supported by the aftermarket. There are many locker choices, at least 3 selectable
ARB
ARB Air Locker Dana 60hd 35 Spline 4.10 & Down (RD167)
Eaton E lock:
D60 Eaton ELocker 4.10dwn 35spl-Broncograveyard.com
Ox:
Dana 60 4.10 and down, 35 spline - OX USA

Since SD's have lockout hubs, a Detroit locker or similar will work just as well on the street unlocked. Downside is when the hubs are locked the steering effort goes up. Upside is the outer tire is allowed to turn faster when locked, so one could argue that it drives easier on the trail when locked than a selectable.
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-718...4-10-down.html

If it's for limited use, a locker that goes inside the existing case is another option, at a fraction of the price. You can install yourself for free, no gear setup. This is what I would do for $500 instead of $1500+
Dana 60 Spartan Locker | 35 Spline

Old 12-02-2014, 10:53 AM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
Thanks for the links Justin, thinking about it the Spartan is probably the best route for my use. I just don't like not having all 4 wheels working when I need them to.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:07 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 93-331-29PSI
Thanks for the links Justin, thinking about it the Spartan is probably the best route for my use. I just don't like not having all 4 wheels working when I need them to.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the operation of the front axle/4wd, but I'm pretty sure we have already, what we need to go full lock on all 4...

The rear diff E-lock we've already covered. That's 2 of 'em.

Engage the "4wd"/front axle to get 3, seeing as how if you leave your hubs open, you'll get that "wheel with the least grip spins" behavior, much like an open rear diff.

So to get all 4, lock in your front hubs, then engage 4wd and your rear E-locker. The only thing I can think of you meaning perhaps, is the convenience of doing it all from in the cab? As opposed to getting out of the truck and locking in the front hubs?

Old 12-02-2014, 12:27 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackBeest
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the operation of the front axle/4wd, but I'm pretty sure we have already, what we need to go full lock on all 4...

The rear diff E-lock we've already covered. That's 2 of 'em.

Engage the "4wd"/front axle to get 3, seeing as how if you leave your hubs open, you'll get that "wheel with the least grip spins" behavior, much like an open rear diff.

So to get all 4, lock in your front hubs, then engage 4wd and your rear E-locker. The only thing I can think of you meaning perhaps, is the convenience of doing it all from in the cab? As opposed to getting out of the truck and locking in the front hubs?
The front is an open diff, so we go back to one wheel spinning on the front while the other sits still (assuming both front hubs are locked either manually or automatically and the transfer case is in 4x4). A locker on the front serves the same purpose as out back, and functions the same.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:46 PM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Thanks Doug- I got the locker operation covered- past experiences, but then the setup of our trucks confuses me.

What's the point of having the switchable hubs, if the front axle is just going to behave like an open diff?

In my mind, you use 4wd to engage the front axle, but because the pumpkin is an open design, you default to 3wd. "Locking" the front hubs would produce 4wd. You say "manual/automatic", I was thinking "open/locked".....what are you referring to?

Reason I'm confused, back when I was pulling that truck outta that ditch, I "locked" in my front hubs before engaging 4wd/front axle, and I sure was smoking both front tires fighting for grip. It didn't behave like an open diff at all

Old 12-02-2014, 12:57 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Gotcha. All locking the hubs does is locks the wheels (hubs) to the axle shafts. Since it is still an open diff, one wheel will spin while the other sits there looking pretty. Automatic versus manual I was referring to whether the system locks your hubs by rotating the **** on the dash to engage 4x4 including the hubs, or getting out of the truck to manually lock the hubs yourself so that rotating the dash **** only has to engage the transfer case. Locking the hubs has no effect on the operation of the diff. You could test this in the same way you would test an open diff on the rear. Engage 4x4 and make sure the front hubs are both locked. Jack up the front of the truck so that both front tires are off of the ground. Rotate one wheel. The other wheel will rotate in the opposite direction. Hope that clears it up a bit.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:18 PM
BlackBeest
More Turbo

Thanks Doug, it's not your explanation that perplexes me, it's why Ford set it up like that......

I went out and grabbed my owners manual because I was really scratching my head as to what they were thinking and it's pretty much as you described, tho in reading pg. 294, I can't imagine why anyone with ESOF would need or use the LOCK setting, as in their own words: "automatic operation of the hub locks is recommended, and will increase fuel economy"

If it can all be automatically controlled from one **** inside the truck, (and by that, I mean, we can select 3wd/transfer case/front axle) why'd we get the manually selectable axle hubs? Just an abundance of parts?

Old 12-02-2014, 03:22 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks Doug, it's not your explanation that perplexes me, it's why Ford set it up like that......

I went out and grabbed my owners manual because I was really scratching my head as to what they were thinking and it's pretty much as you described, tho in reading pg. 294, I can't imagine why anyone with ESOF would need or use the LOCK setting, as in their own words: "automatic operation of the hub locks is recommended, and will increase fuel economy"

If it can all be automatically controlled from one **** inside the truck, (and by that, I mean, we can select 3wd/transfer case/front axle) why'd we get the manually selectable axle hubs? Just an abundance of parts?
It is a way to lock the hubs if you have a failure of the vacuum system.

Even with open diffs the truck is still a 4wd....

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 12-02-2014, 03:32 PM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
It is a way to lock the hubs if you have a failure of the vacuum system.

Even with open diffs the truck is still a 4wd....

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

aaAAHHhhh I see....

tho technically the truck's a 3wd with an open front diff

kinda lame, Ford.....

Old 12-02-2014, 04:04 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Yeah, the auto option is a nice convenience over having to climb out in the mud or snow to lock the hubs in. As previously stated though, if the auto fails for some reason, we can manually lock them in anyway. The other options for the front end would be manual only, or full time locked hubs, which reduces fuel mileage and increases wear on the front end parts. Having the auto or lock selection on our hubs gives us the best of both worlds.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:08 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
aaAAHHhhh I see....

tho technically the truck's a 3wd with an open front diff

kinda lame, Ford.....
Technically it is still 4wd....

Old 12-02-2014, 04:11 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
I believe what he is saying is that since the diff is open, when a wheel loses traction, that is the only one that will move, therefore becoming 3 wheel drive - and that assumes a locker or limited slip working in the rear so that both wheels are moving back there. If both diffs were open, you could end up with 2 wheel drive, with one wheel on each axle spinning like crazy.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:29 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I am glad Ford still puts the manual hubs on these trucks if you plan to be in/out of 4x4 a lot. It allows the front to engage without much fuss vs. auto. You'll notice in auto, there will be a message to "pull forward" if you are stopped and turned on 4x4. If you're already stuck, there isn't much pulling forward to do. Yep, our trucks would normally only have two wheels doing the work if it wasn't for the optional rear locker. Another standard 4x4 vehicle isn't any different.

I had a family member tell me one time "you aren't driving a tank!" Ha.
I had pulled off a dirt road in a previous vehicle one day to allow another car to pass, well there was a ditch hidden within that tall grass. Front right tire and rear left tire were suspended in the air, 4x4 didn't do a bit of good with those two tires spinning.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:24 PM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
Originally Posted by kper05
I am glad Ford still puts the manual hubs on these trucks if you plan to be in/out of 4x4 a lot. It allows the front to engage without much fuss vs. auto. You'll notice in auto, there will be a message to "pull forward" if you are stopped and turned on 4x4. If you're already stuck, there isn't much pulling forward to do. Yep, our trucks would normally only have two wheels doing the work if it wasn't for the optional rear locker. Another standard 4x4 vehicle isn't any different. I had a family member tell me one time "you aren't driving a tank!" Ha. I had pulled off a dirt road in a previous vehicle one day to allow another car to pass, well there was a ditch hidden within that tall grass. Front right tire and rear left tire were suspended in the air, 4x4 didn't do a bit of good with those two tires spinning.
I had that same problem with my '05 and every truck since has gotten arb air lockers. It's nice knowing that the e-locker was a factory option and one driving factor in my latest purchase decision. Just wish the front was the same giving true 4wd.

Quick Reply: Front Axle and E-locker or air locker ???