1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Which EGR Tube do I Need

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 09:28 AM
macbuz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say it is really very gratifying to have done this. Fortunately, I had a better than average tool collection - maybe 'much' better than average - I think there were only a couple tools I had to get. Bought a 1 1/4" socket and rented (for free) an impact driver - oh yeah, had to get a 1/2" wrench too, who knows what happened to mine.

The only left over is the first EGR tube I bought, the one before we figured out my van had CA emission standards on it. I guess I'll clean it up and try to eBay it. I didn't get any deal on the starter. I phoned around to the three auto supply places here and they were all around $100 for one with a life time warranty. I bought at NAPA for $117 - figured building a relationship with them was worthy since they are just down the road and likely to be even more helpful next time I need something.

As for the 'next' project, IF there were a next project, the van doesn't need anything serious it's in good shape atm. I have a 95 F250 also with a 5.8L and it needs a new rear main. Even though it has 225K miles, except for the oil leak it's a really good truck. Or I have a 94 Taurus that needs new suspension front and back and it has an electrical issue - the power windows are screwy, from drivers side can run passenger windows down but two of them not up. They will go up at the individual switches though. Also, the driver's seat won't adjust forward and back, it's stuck in the far back position, which is good for me but no one else - seems everyone else has short arms and legs. There's always something to do - just a matter if I want to do it or not.

As for a career change, naaa, figure no one could afford me - . No question how gratifying this has been. Not just getting the van up and going again, but getting my shop back - it's more a carpenter's shop than it is a mechanic's shop, but it's nice to have for 'whatever' comes down the pike.

Thanks again Wildman25 and the Ford forum.

EDIT: Hey!! we hit 9 pages.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:18 PM
macbuz
Junior User
CEL Question

Guess who!?? The van is running soooo good, kind of like before when I'd be at a stop somewhere and I can't tell if my engine is running - so quiet and smooth, the ambient noise cancels noise from the van.

My question is about the CEL and if, anything I did during this project, may be affecting my CEL? Obviously it's on and I'd like it off, but .... not too worried about.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:39 PM
macbuz
Junior User
CEL is unlit now.

Hey!! Well I don't know, but my second trip out and the CEL is out. Wondering if the EGR was still seating maybe, causing the CEL to be on and now after a few heating and cooling cycles it seated ????? No idea, just throwing a dart.

Anyway, all is well and thanks so much again. It's a great feeling to have done this.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:42 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The CEL came on after this repair?
Was not on before this repair??

Any way you can get the code read??

If you can get the code read, that will lean to what direction you need to go next, more that likely it's going to show up as the O2 sensor, or EGR leak.

Reason I say that, because you just repaired a leaking EGR tube, and the ECM is now "confused", and it needs to be "re-learned"

If you can't get the code read, disconnect the negative battery post for about 20 minutes, re-connect, and drive about 50+ miles on the van, at first the van will run/act a little funny, until the ECM re-learns it's setting.

Also, if your not going anywhere's.......just drive the van around for a couple of days, and see if the CEL goes out. It could also be running in a learning mode now.

What ever you do, to get the code read, you'll need a OBD I reader, so most parts store that offer this "free" service will not be able to read the codes.
*unless you stop by here, I have the OBD I & II +CAM reader

PS.......I was typing my reply while you were out driving around, fixing your own question.......

Old 02-16-2015, 06:48 PM
macbuz
Junior User
Hey Wildman - check my last post - second trip 'out and about' and the CEL was out, so maybe all is well. Taking the van on a 150 mile trip (round trip) on Wednesday so it'll get a good shake down.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:49 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by macbuz
Hey Wildman - check my last post - second trip 'out and about' and the CEL was out, so maybe all is well. Taking the van on a 150 mile trip (round trip) on Wednesday so it'll get a good shake down.
I seen, after I posted.......read my PS.

That 150 mile trip will seat that EGR tube, and re-set the ECM.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:56 PM
macbuz
Junior User
Guess we had our wires crossed for a bit there - anyway, all seems well, running smooth and no CEL. I was out getting the tires rotated. Sounds like I need a mechanic with the OBD I reader if I want to have a diagnosis. ATM there's nothing obvious but I bet a scan would show something.

Originally Posted by Wildman25
IThat 150 mile trip will seat that EGR tube, and re-set the ECM.
Should I do the battery disconnect prior to the trip?

Old 02-17-2015, 06:27 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Should I do the battery disconnect prior to the trip?
Yep---'bout 15 minutes should do it---disconnect just the negative or ground cable---no need to bother the positive cable.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:40 AM
macbuz
Junior User
- Thank you.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:57 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TSB EGR TUBE BROKEN

I'm looking at RockAuto and they list two tubes for my E 250, 5.8L and I don't know which one to get. Is it possible one of you guys would know? Or can you tell me what other info I need to determine which one?

Thank you.
Great job, macbuz!

I hate being late to the party but I found this TSB with some info for the next guy with the problem:
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/TSb/...adPdf?id=35418

This site also has SOME wiring diagrams for different years.

jim

Old 02-27-2015, 10:02 AM
macbuz
Junior User
CEL - end of story.

Hello all - just popped back in to update the end of the EGR tube saga. When all was said and done the CEL was on constantly leading me to believe the EGR tube wasn't cinched tight enough - when it was cold I could hear a definite tick, tick, tick down near the passenger's feet. I couldn't decide where to take the van for a diagnostic and finally went back to my regular mechanic. He was gracious about me having done my own work. Anyway, so as not to bore you too much, the diagnostic showed I hadn't reconnected the air intake sensor connector. Guess what .... no more CEL, it's out!! Yayyy!!

It's a 9 page saga here and have much appreciation for all the patience. Thank you gain.

Now, I have to find where to go with wiper switch questions - maybe it's this same forum. Anyway, will be starting a new thread somewhere near by.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:14 AM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Wow.......just happen to be here between phone calls.......

So, simple, plug the intake sensor, killed the CEL

Wiper switch??

See this - LINK