1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help diagnosing amp draw - smoked alternator and both batteries

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:18 PM
dda140
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help diagnosing amp draw - smoked alternator and both batteries

Hello All
Quick summary of events ('08 F350 6.4L):
  • No indications of any problems for last 100km of hwy driving (fueled up then started the engine)
  • Smelled “burning” while looking for a parking spot
  • Shut off truck once parked
  • Stone dead batteries (swollen/bulging batteries, won’t take a charge)
  • Alternator is the source of the smell, SUPER HOT
  • Tried jumping off a single battery to no avail – couldn’t even get the dash digital display to stay on
  • Let cool overnight
  • While jumping from a vehicle with twin batteries the next day, noticed my alternator getting really hot (this is on the truck that’s NOT running)! Alternator has internal short (after removal noticed signs of extreme heat on coils, bearings are not the culprit).
  • Put new alternator in
  • Didn’t have new batteries so just disconnected mine. Tried jumping with two sets of jumpers from a truck with twin batteries. Showed 11.3 V before cranking with all other electrical loads turned off (radio, lights, heater fan, etc.). Engine turned over but slowly, engine wouldn’t catch
  • My mechanic buddy suspected a faulty glow plug module, causing glow plugs to stay on steady. Disconnected green plug on module, couldn’t reach the other connector.
  • Reconnected to jumper cables, now getting 12.3V. Truck turned over faster but still not nearly as fast as its supposed to. Engine wouldn’t catch
New batteries on the way when I can get out there again
Need to figure out how to handle the suspected glow plug module problem. Is this something I can do in a parking lot? Is there something else I should check before doing the glow plug module? Something is pulling big time amps and caused my batteries and alternator to cook… Any other suggestions?
The truck is in the mountains, 200km away from home. I’ve been working on it in a parking lot in the snow. Nearest Ford dealer is 100km away from the truck and they don’t stock much. Tools and parts need to be lined up before hand so I don’t waste time doing 2+hr round trips to grab things I need. Thanks in advance for any comments!

Old 11-24-2014, 06:35 PM
Tony Lee
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know about your setup, but conventional 'wisdom' was that running an alternator without a battery or decent load connected would often wreck the alternator.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:21 PM
05F250DSL
Fleet Mechanic
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
I am not sure if the wiring is routed similar on the 6.4 vs 6.0. But look on the passenger side front frame rail near your steering stabizer mount. The positive wire for the starter runs down there and then back to the starter. On my 6.0 when I got it the protective cover was worn from the stabilizer rubbing agains it I believe while turning left. A dead short would bulge out some batteries and toast things in a hurry.
On another note not sure of the temps where you are at but starting these motors without the glow plugs functioning is rough. Next time you get to it hook the glow if module back up. Turn the key on and wait. The glow plugs should kick off after 2min or so. You will see the volts go back up. If they do the. You know they are not stuck on.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:54 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
sounds like shorted batteries are smoking your alternator.

replace batteries early if drains are deep and recharges are always hot