Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

RacinNdrummin's Fullsize Bronco IDI Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 09:58 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford F834
That thing sounds ~awesome! Seems like it is quite loud on the video, what it the decibel level like compared to say a regular straight pipe? What do you think of the wide ratio ZF gear spacing? Sweet daily driver!!!

Its louder up front than it is through the exhaust, Id say 60% of the noise is underhood, and 40% through the exhaust. The Note is nice, Id take this setup over a straight pipe hands down, it doesn't have that IDI/Small block chevy/Ford FE glasspack rasp. It really isn't as bad (Maybe I just don't mind it) it isn't 2013 F150 quiet by any means, but its just fine running down the road, especially when im at 1100rpm in OD at 40mph, cruising...

As far as the WR ZF goes, its perfect. Second gear is almost too short, even with 3.55 gears, I can start in 3rd if I wanted. Its about 2100rpm at 65mph in OD.

Feels good to DD'ing an IDI again, especially a brick... It just IS me, even before I could drive, I was always a 87-91 fan... They are the last of the simple trucks, but the first of the modern.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:39 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Here are some other pics that I forgot to post when I built the engine (Sorry for making this thread a ClusterF++k... It was piecing lots of little bits of time together this time, and it got away from me)

Old 04-17-2015, 12:22 AM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
way cool that gota be a blast..............

Old 04-17-2015, 06:58 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet update! I like it a lot. We need a ride along video now, so we can see what it sounds like from inside!

Old 04-17-2015, 09:47 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Sweet update! I like it a lot. We need a ride along video now, so we can see what it sounds like from inside!

Ill get my Go Pro hooked up here soon, I gotta figure out how to get the volume to come up, its too quiet.

I was worried my E-fans weren't coming on, but today I got to sit in line while the Pavers paved the road by my house, and when the Temp gauge reached M in normal, they kicked on. By the time I got back home, which is roughly 3/4 mile by the time I got past the pavers, The fans were already off, and the Temp was back on the O (Where it sits when warmed up)... Im using a Ford Probe switch, it turns on at 207*, and off at 197*, my T-stat is 195, so I would say with those facts, for just a Driver type vehicle, a small block radiator is plenty sufficient, at least so far.

Tomorrow Im taking it on a 400 mile drive, so I should be able to knock down some solid MPG numbers by the time I get back. I aired up the tires, and did a once over check, so she is ready to go.... Ill post results...

Old 04-17-2015, 09:51 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Received 130 Likes on 59 Posts
I bet that is one fun driving rig!

Old 04-17-2015, 10:08 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
400 mile drive! that's going to pull in some great mpg's. what type of cam grind and gear ratio is in the rear? 3:08/3:55? synthetic gear lube?

Old 04-17-2015, 10:19 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
oh man another high rpm cam. i hope you've got 4.10's now then,cus it might feel mushy an not so fun to drive otherwise? hows it going around town.ok? and your going to murder it out too! ok ok.it's your toy not mine lol.this will be interesting.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:40 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
oh man another high rpm cam. i hope you've got 4.10's now then,cus it might feel mushy an not so fun to drive otherwise? hows it going around town.ok? and your going to murder it out too! ok ok.it's your toy not mine lol.this will be interesting.

Just the guy to give a fist to the Kidney with a smile on his face......

Last time I checked, I have the torquiest cam per RPM and Fuel, so if that means its also a high RPM cam, Ill wear that badge proudly... But in all seriousness, This cam is very nice. Im not going to make any claims, specifically because its in a Bronco (Which I tried to weigh yesterday, but the local scale wasn't working), and also because N/A is a totally different animal as far as power band is concerned. Most of the time Im running around town at 1100-1500rpm, and even if I punch it, it accelerates. I know airflow is good because it idles in the 180-200 EGT range, and the most EGT I have got out of it on a grade, at about 65-70mph is 660... The IDI responds VERY well to uncorking the exhaust, both turbo and Non-turbo, and its becoming even more clear with this setup, that that is the case. I think mileage will tell the whole story, if it is in the high teens, and ive kept my foot out of it, than its clear this is too much cam, but if I can nail down 20 or above, I think it will prove my point that these things are just simply under cammed for their displacement...

As far as "Murdering" this thing out... You must think the bill on my hat is as flat as you think the IDI world is brotha'...... Im going to do lighter than stock bumpers with a bit of edge, so that being the case, in keeping with the theme of "budget" with this build, I have to paint them. I hate it when trucks have half black accents, with half chrome junk, that looks like it got thrown on there... I prefer my projects integrated, and with that being the case, I think a nice solid Tan-Black scheme will look very good. If I wasn't doing bumpers, I would find a couple of Chrome bumpers, and pick up the polished version of the wheels im planning... I still haven't ruled that out, especially if the mileage numbers are better than expected. I actually like the way the bronco looks right now, it just doesn't have quite enough edge for me.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:48 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kla94
I bet that is one fun driving rig!

It is Kevin, My only gripe is the RDT in traffic. Its not bad at all, the Vapor is very minimal for a fresh engine without seated rings, but on a 70* day sitting in Seattle Metro traffic, even the slightest "cloud" is a little embarrassing, especially when your IDI is idling right next to somebodies open window. I might dump it into the intake tube if it doesn't clear up after tomorrow's drive...

Other than that, its a very nimble vehicle, and the exhaust note isn't like anything else on the road...

Old 04-17-2015, 11:57 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
400 mile drive! that's going to pull in some great mpg's. what type of cam grind and gear ratio is in the rear? 3:08/3:55? synthetic gear lube?

Cam grind is 211* of duration@.050", 109 lobe sep, and .412" of lift...

Ratio is 3.55, and currently, with under inflated 33x12.50-15's, I get right about 2100rpm@65mph.

The 8.8 has whatever has been in it for however long its been in there. It will be swapped for a 9" when I do the D44 SAS up front. Still running the break in oil in the engine, and the trans just got fresh ATF. Timing is in the 11* range, and I might slip some diesel clean in the tank before I leave.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:02 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
i was able to pull in 17 mpg with a 8500 lb drw,4wd box truck on my only hwy run to date with chip truck.you'll be bringing in far up above high teens.it wouldn't surprise me if you see high 20's or even low 30's.those 33's though,those might screw things.dang,too bad you couldn't get it weighed.that will be good to know.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:23 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Received 130 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
It is Kevin, My only gripe is the RDT in traffic. Its not bad at all, the Vapor is very minimal for a fresh engine without seated rings, but on a 70* day sitting in Seattle Metro traffic, even the slightest "cloud" is a little embarrassing, especially when your IDI is idling right next to somebodies open window. I might dump it into the intake tube if it doesn't clear up after tomorrow's drive...

Other than that, its a very nimble vehicle, and the exhaust note isn't like anything else on the road...
Nice! I'm sure that it's nice with the torque in a lighter vehicle. There's got to be something we can do with the crankcase vent on these things!

Old 04-18-2015, 04:00 PM
Romel77
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Justin, I thing u hit 20 mpg quite easily, my rig was purchased without any attention to the engine and through the 3000 mile trip it averaged 15.5 with C6, jumped over 18 with zf5 and I know I can do better once I put my hand on the injectors, clean them, set the pop presure and play with timing. I am curious what MPG do you get. And if u just see any junk yards please keep athought of me with the tach instrument cluster. Wish I could see the Bronco in person.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:50 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
I think it did pretty damn reasonable.

Total trip was 421miles. I actually was quite disappointed till I actually tracked the amount of miles we drove today. The Odometer says 380miles, and there was no way that could be right, so I checked the whole trip on google maps, without all the little frills like driving down the beach, and checking out a few potential camp sites to head to this summer. That puts the speedo at 10% off, which correlates directly with how things were looking traveling with traffic. I will have to get an accurate number tomorrow when I fill back up, but the gauge is sitting in between 5/16 and 3/8 of a tank, so between 20 and 23 gallons used if the gauge is accurate. That puts me in between 18.5 and 21mpgs... Even if its the lower of the two, I drove a good 75miles on a 35mph windy beach front road from Port Angeles to essentially Forks, that was up and down hills the whole way, in fact I saw 780* on the pyro during that stretch. It was windy and hilly enough, that my daughter threw up her lunch in the back seat... Also, I did a 5 mile drive down the beach in the sand, with a few dounts thrown in... And to top it off, I let my wife drive it home, and its a little different than driving an 07 focus, so Im sure that didn't help the numbers.... I am happy, And I think its a very good setup.

Quick Reply: RacinNdrummin's Fullsize Bronco IDI Build