1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

54 F100 for the Father in Law

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:14 AM
wallys 54
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhopper
AFA Speedway is concerned, I've bought plenty of stuff from them over the years. They're only one state away from me so shipping is fast. Most of what I've purchased has been name brand mdse so quality isn't an issue there. Some of the stuff I've gotten that was their house brand was only adequate quality.
Welcome to the site, you're a great son in law.

I have yet to hear back from Speedways QC department concerning the shocks, so I will go there this week and probably trade the coil overs for regular shocks that will actually work with the setup. Having them right down the road makes them the first look for parts, but I have come to realize that I am not far from LMC Truck either and work occasionally sends me close to them.

I also got my mid fifties catalog this week. Yes, this week! It took a looooong time to get but worth the wait! They have a ton of stuff that I will be buying for the project!

Old 01-19-2015, 12:49 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
That is a pretty solid looking donor truck. Depending on what you paid for it, you might consider taking it to Maco for a quick paint job and flipping it. Rear axles shouldn't be difficult to find in NE, and you might want to consider going with an 8.8 instead of the 9". A little bit more work, but can be found cheap with disk brakes in desirable ratios and LSD. The 8.8s are a little narrower, but a set of spacers can fix that, and give you matching bolt pattern to front. Makes wheel selection and spare much easier.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:54 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,195 Likes on 2,688 Posts
Originally Posted by wallys 54
I only bought the truck for the rear end, but after tinkering around with it, the thing runs really good. Drives like its on bare rims, but other than that, everything works, and I am thinking of selling it for a profit and then finding another rear end!! I also think the engine may be built because it is a 4bbl intake with a Carter Comp carb on it. I couldn't find anywhere that said the truck ever came with a 4bbl option. may pull the valve cover and see if there are some after market rocker arms in there. The bottom of the engine appears to have been painted.
That was what I was thinking, that truck could make you more money than what a differential would cost you.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:44 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hello....I must've missed this thread earlier. It looks like fun.

I did an IFS on my 52....I did buy the frame from 51Panelman with the crossmember already installed. I finished it off. The parts are from Fatman Fabrications, but it appears that you already have the Speedway brand. It will all be similar. Do believe what you read when they tell you the springs will settle in after the first 100 miles. They say an inch, but I think more like 1.5 inches. The point being....don't start cutting your springs because you think the ride height is too high....wait for until you get it settled in.

The other thing I noted was you mentioned that you have a 55 frame. Keep in mind that the title for the truck will be based on the VIN on the frame and not the one on the cab or glove box. Did you get a title for that frame? Just a thought.

Welcome to the forum....a little late, but welcome anyway.

Dan

Old 01-20-2015, 08:57 AM
wallys 54
Freshman User
The biggest thing the truck needs to sell is a new floor shifter. The shaft is there as is the spring loaded stop but I have to put a pair of vise grips on the stop to pull it up in order to shift. I have to find a shifter to put in it but I am leaning towards re-selling it. There were a couple of wiring WTFs that I have straightened out but other than that, I haven't done anything other than put tires on it (used set I had)

Old 03-05-2015, 08:59 AM
wallys 54
Freshman User
Originally Posted by AXracer
That is a pretty solid looking donor truck. Depending on what you paid for it, you might consider taking it to Maco for a quick paint job and flipping it. Rear axles shouldn't be difficult to find in NE, and you might want to consider going with an 8.8 instead of the 9". A little bit more work, but can be found cheap with disk brakes in desirable ratios and LSD. The 8.8s are a little narrower, but a set of spacers can fix that, and give you matching bolt pattern to front. Makes wheel selection and spare much easier.
What years should I look for AX? It starting to warm up here so I will be able to get back to working on the project!!

Old 03-05-2015, 10:56 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Here's a lot of info on axle swaps: 1948 through 1960 Ford F-1 and F-100 Rear Axle (differential) Swaps - Ford Trucks
If you have welding capabilities the world is your oyster, most any late model Ford car/SUV can be a donor, just cut off the coil and bar mounts and weld on leaf spring perches. Available in a range of gear ratios and many with limited slip, and drum or disk brakes. or if no welding, there are some fairly common SUVs that have leaf springs with perches at the right width to bolt to your springs. I don't remember which ones off the top of my head, but others will likely be along to provide that info. There are installation kits available with perches and all needed hardware. Try Mid Fifty: Home - Mid Fifty F-100 Parts

Old 05-02-2016, 10:15 PM
wallys 54
Freshman User

lowering springs. Check out the banding on the springs. What do I do here??

Did ya miss me?? ha ha!

Well it has been a year since my last post and unfortunately not much has got done with the truck. My business has blown up (the good way) and I have been super busy with that as well as the normal family stuff. Luckily my FIL is fine with the project moving slow since he has been able to slowly stash cash for the build.

Since my last post, the shock issue was corrected by Speedway. It turns out they meant to provide a set of bushings to change the shock mount but my kit did not have them. Once the new bushings were installed the shocks mounted up nicely and the MII install is complete. One thing I was happy to find out is that the kit retains the original wheel spacing (60"). No spacers or offset rims required!!

I put a light coat of paint on the frame as I had to leave it outside for most of the winter. I had some major issues with one of my other vehicles and needed the garage space. Once all the work on the frame has been done I will give it a light sanding and give it more than one coat of paint.

I have also found a stock 9" rear end from a 70 F100, not the one I spoke of earlier. I am actually still driving that truck!! I am going to get it blasted and go through the rear end to make sure everything is in tip top shape. I was trying to find an easy way to mount the rear end on the stock style leaf springs and came up with something I have not seen any one recommend!! To cut the story short, I will be using rear end/shock mounts from a late 80s dodge pickup to mount the rear. All I had to do was drill the holes slightly and the shackle bolts are almost a perfect fit. I will have to spread them only slightly to line them up with the mounting holes on the shock brackets. I haven't measured for sure yet, but the shock mounts may even line up with the stock top mounts!!

I also picked up a set of 3" lowering springs from LMC.

We have decided to go with a 302 for the power plant. Keep in mind, daily driver . . . He wants to be able to light 'em up on occasion, but mostly just wants to cruise. I will be putting one of the throttle body kits on the engine to give it that classic carburated look. I also have an aluminum fuel cell that will mount between the frame rails behind the rear end.

I had the cab blasted and was lucky enough to find no extra flaws in the cab. I will be starting on the cab repairs soon, once I figure out what to do for the firewall. He wants a clean looking firewall but also wants the master cylinder in the engine compartment for ease of access.

SO, now that you are caught up, I have a couple of questions.

The new leaf springs came with a banding around the springs in several spots instead of the brackets, like on the stock springs. Am I supposed to take the brackets from the original springs and put them on the new springs? Unfortunately, LMC could not answer this question. "maybe you will have to ask the person who is building the truck" they say

My other question is about the transmission. I am going with an automatic but am also considering an overdrive. The rear end is geared at 3.5. any thoughts?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Old 05-02-2016, 11:08 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont belive you need to replace the bands, but please shoot a close up, so I dont mess this advice up....

Old 05-11-2016, 08:03 AM
wallys 54
Freshman User

Here is a close up. The bands look like something used when shipping heavy items. The black band around it plastic and the steel bands are secured with the ugly looking clamp. You can also see a glimpse of plastic spacers sticking out at the ends of each leaf.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:32 AM
wallys 54
Freshman User
any ideas what I should do with these bands? Or do I not do anything with them. I am not building a show truck but they are kinda ugly looking! maybe just paint them with the springs?

Old 05-22-2016, 09:59 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any ideas what I should do with these bands? Or do I not do anything with them. I am not building a show truck but they are kinda ugly looking! maybe just paint them with the springs?
I don't have any idea if they are ok or not...but I bought all 4 springs from mid fifty (Eaton Detroit Springs makes them) and they all had a metal band. I'm sure it's mainly just to keep them together (side to side). I would bet that yours are fine, but I understand you wanting to be sure!

Maybe you could call Eaton or Posies?

Old 05-22-2016, 10:02 AM
wallys 54
Freshman User
Are those clamps riveted to the bottom spring?

Old 05-22-2016, 10:49 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Are those clamps riveted to the bottom spring?
I'll look when I get home from church.
Here's a pic I have.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:07 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru

Quick Reply: 54 F100 for the Father in Law