6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Limp mode...FORD's next big lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 05:36 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by desertnomad
I read this forum often but damn I hate it when I stumble across threads like this one. Now that I'm painfully aware of this issue does anyone know if this is considered a rare occurrence, how common is this issue?? Are all four sensors identical? I'm just over 50K miles.
Yes, all four are identical. They are inexpensive so get a spare and a 13mm wrench and throw it in your glove compartment. No, it's not very common and you probably won't ever have to worry about it.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:44 AM
used2BFordFan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by desertnomad
I read this forum often but damn I hate it when I stumble across threads like this one. Now that I'm painfully aware of this issue does anyone know if this is considered a rare occurrence, how common is this issue?? Are all four sensors identical? I'm just over 50K miles.
It will happen to you ... just a matter if time and because Ford decided to keep the consumer out of the recall, you will be paying for the repair. Take it in before you are stranded and waiting for a tow. I had 53K and they could have cared less.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:49 AM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by used2BFordFan
It will happen to you ... just a matter if time and because Ford decided to keep the consumer out of the recall, you will be paying for the repair. Take it in before you are stranded and waiting for a tow. I had 53K and they could have cared less.

Making a blanket statement like that because it happened to you helps no one. Because a few guys on a Ford forum report this in no way represents an 6.7 users as a whole. Most never even heard of a forum and are driving worry free. Without real failure statistics, this yet another HPFP/fanatical flavor of the month that will appear at crisis level on forums and have no effect on the owing public as a whole. Yes, I carry my spare sensor but if I was a betting man, I'd bet tall cash that I'll be selling it on eBay when I trade my truck in... "new in package"...

Old 02-28-2015, 09:01 AM
used2BFordFan
New User
a few guys???? this is a big problem whether you want to believe it or not ... your correct not everyone is on a forum to post their frustration however it is happening to more than a 'few'.

Perhaps your one of the 'few' lucky ones that has not experienced the problem. Got to love a manufacture that produces a product that frightens the owner to carry spare engine/emission parts to keep the vehicle running.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:05 AM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by used2BFordFan
a few guys???? this is a big problem whether you want to believe it or not ... your correct not everyone is on a forum to post their frustration however it is happening to more than a 'few'.

Perhaps your one of the 'few' lucky ones that has not experienced the problem. Got to love a manufacture that produces a product that frightens the owner to carry spare engine/emission parts to keep the vehicle running.
Again, show me the statistics that this is a big problem. Just like the guys with HPFP failure said it was a big problem. Guys with the "death wobble" have a big problem. Anything that happens to you is a big problem. It doesn't make it common because you read about it on a forum. Often people join forums like yourself just to report problems. This is no way a fair cross section of ownership. And yes, relative to total units sold, a "few" is actually quite generous. You're talking to a guy who's on here every day and has been reading about this since it started. You just found out because it happened to you. Don't confuse a little bit of research for absolute knowledge...

Old 02-28-2015, 09:45 AM
used2BFordFan
New User
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Again, show me the statistics that this is a big problem. Just like the guys with HPFP failure said it was a big problem. Guys with the "death wobble" have a big problem. Anything that happens to you is a big problem. It doesn't make it common because you read about it on a forum. Often people join forums like yourself just to report problems. This is no way a fair cross section of ownership. And yes, relative to total units sold, a "few" is actually quite generous. You're talking to a guy who's on here every day and has been reading about this since it started. You just found out because it happened to you. Don't confuse a little bit of research for absolute knowledge...
Sir, your the one that is providing the statistics by carrying a spare part, if it was not that big of an issue you along with others would not be carrying a spare part. Your more nervous about it than me, I am not going to carry a spare nor should I. For anyone who has this happen to them, your blood will be boiling when the truck leaves you stranded, helpless, waiting for a tow.

I joined the forum to let others know what happened to me and how I was treated by Ford. Nothing wrong with that . Had I had 50,001 miles, my feelings are that Ford would have told me the same outcome

Not sure if your married or have kids, but one day your loved ones maybe the only ones driving your truck (or worse taking you to the hospital) when this situation arises. Not sure anyones wife or teenage kid is going to know the first thing about grabbing your carry on toolbox, finding the right wrench, crawling under the truck on a 4 lane highway to change a sensor...then after the sensor is changed figuring out how to override the code so that the truck will start. Perhaps not a big concern to you but unacceptable to me for as much as we spend on these vehicles.

Hope it never happens to you. Keep your fingers crossed.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:05 AM
System
Prolocutor
I carry a spare sensor like a spare tire. Just in case but in the last 25 years, I've NEVER changed a tire on the side of the road and I'm pretty sure I'll never change a sensor either. And, a blowout is much more likely and dangerous than a sensor failure. How do you sleep at night knowing that might happen to your family!?!? If I have to change either roadside, so be it. It sure won't be a crisis. I'm married and have a 2.5 year old who travels with me constantly in my truck. Never worried about her safety one bit based on a few sensor failures. People get hit by lightning more often and I'm not worried about that either. Calm down, take a deep breath, and get back on the road. You're way to uptight.

Love your user name by the way....

Old 02-28-2015, 10:07 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
never changes a sensor in my 08 that I owned for 5 years and I have not changed a sensor in my 2013 either.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:15 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Reading the forums back in my 7.3 days, one would swear that your CPS would leave you on the side of the road as well, and people would keep spares and the tools for a roadside change - just in case. I had my '99 7.3 for 6 years and never bought or needed a spare CPS. On my sig truck, all I can say is so far, so good. I do keep a spare sensor, flare wrench and code scanner, but doubt they will ever come out of my glovebox. I agree with Rodney in that I have it as I would a spare tire, and I too have never had a roadside flat (although I'm sure I just jinxed that).

Your issue sucks, and the way it was handled was ****-poor at best. I can see where this situation would leave a sour taste in your mouth, but having spent time on various other forums, I can assure you that they all have issues and are all handled based more on the Service Dept's attitudes than the corporate philosophies.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:05 PM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Assuming this is a major problem because a bunch of people on a technical forum have issues is like finding out that everybody in the waiting room at the oncologist has cancer and then claiming that everybody on earth is going to die of cancer.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup

Old 02-28-2015, 05:16 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 92F350CC
Assuming this is a major problem because a bunch of people on a technical forum have issues is like finding out that everybody in the waiting room at the oncologist has cancer and then claiming that everybody on earth is going to die of cancer.

How many people need to get hurt or killed from a faulty sensor or programming before it becomes a major issue?

1? 100? 1000?

GMs recall for a faulty ignition switch didn't kill that many per cars on the road and that is a major issue- just for comparison sake.

It isn't a problem until it affects you.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:17 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by 92F350CC

You sir win the Internet quote of the day...

Old 02-28-2015, 05:22 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by Dakster
How many people need to get hurt or killed from a faulty sensor or programming before it becomes a major issue?

1? 100? 1000?

GMs recall for a faulty ignition switch didn't kill that many per cars on the road and that is a major issue- just for comparison sake.

It isn't a problem until it affects you.
You have watched too many final destination movies. The stars aligning situation you describe is so rare its at the point of being ridiculous. For example, I ride a sled, a Harley, a PWC, and an ATV. Where am I more likely to die? In a freak EGT sensor failure accident or riding one of those? Come on man. Pick your battles...

Old 02-28-2015, 05:33 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
If you had my vote, I'd say the ATV! I've almost killed myself several times on mine .

Old 02-28-2015, 05:48 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
If you had my vote, I'd say the ATV! I've almost killed myself several times on mine .
I was going to go with Harley but OK, we're all entitled to our opinions...LOL...

Quick Reply: Limp mode...FORD's next big lawsuit