6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Out of town with white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 06:21 AM
ves83
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out of town with white smoke

I've been reading that you need to what your truck for white smoke religiously. When I started my truck this morning I noticed a puff of white smoke. After going to the store no more smoke. I watched the exhaust the entire way. I've been monitoring my numbers and nothing out of the ordinary. I'm 300 miles away from home should I be concerned?

Old 11-13-2014, 06:38 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't condensation? I would be more worried about a constant haze than a little puff.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:04 AM
ves83
Senior User
I also have a little puking after opening the hood two streaks on the degas bottle. It also act like it wanted to go dead at first almost like a stutter then it ran fine. Then other day it was first thing in the morning on start up it started idling high like I had an high idle mod and then went back down. I just don't want it to sit down on me on the way back home.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:15 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ves83
I also have a little puking after opening the hood two streaks on the degas bottle. It also act like it wanted to go dead at first almost like a stutter then it ran fine. Then other day it was first thing in the morning on start up it started idling high like I had an high idle mod and then went back down. I just don't want it to sit down on me on the way back home.
If this is the first time it has puked, I'd be a little concerned. But just to make sure we're not seeing things, are you sure the coolant is at the minimum mark on the side of the bottle and not above that? By chance you or someone might have added some coolant recently? As far as the idled up, these engines will start to do that when the air temperature starts to get below 40F...so it's possible the PCM did it to help the engine warm up. It won't do it as soon as you start the truck, usually a couple of moments after start-up. I say all this, because if your watching the truck like a hawk...you might start to see/hear things. Been there, done that. I'd keep a eye on it to see if it gets worse...but don't start thinking everything is fixing to snowball on you just any second.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:26 AM
ves83
Senior User
Ok so that explains the high idle. It was 33 degrees out that day. Ok so when I first got the truck the degas bottle had no signs of puking. Drove it on a 309 mile trip and it puked on the trip. I wasn't towing anything cruising at 70-75 I seen a high delta of 17 but 14-15 was most of the trip and I was getting a under boost code. Took it to powerstroke help in Buford, GA. They cleaned the turbo and checked the EBP and said the unison was sticking, and changed the degas cap. Got back from that trip took it to the dealership had the coolant, power steering fluid flushed, oil change, and fuel filters changed. This was in July. Three weeks ago I put in the mishimoto 200 degree t-stat filled her back up to the min level and haven't had any problems until this morning when I noticed the white smoke and spotted the puking.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:01 AM
ves83
Senior User
also forgot to mention I have a bad glow plug on 6

Old 11-13-2014, 11:38 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok so that explains the high idle. It was 33 degrees out that day. Ok so when I first got the truck the degas bottle had no signs of puking. Drove it on a 309 mile trip and it puked on the trip. I wasn't towing anything cruising at 70-75 I seen a high delta of 17 but 14-15 was most of the trip and I was getting a under boost code. Took it to powerstroke help in Buford, GA. They cleaned the turbo and checked the EBP and said the unison was sticking, and changed the degas cap. Got back from that trip took it to the dealership had the coolant, power steering fluid flushed, oil change, and fuel filters changed. This was in July. Three weeks ago I put in the mishimoto 200 degree t-stat filled her back up to the min level and haven't had any problems until this morning when I noticed the white smoke and spotted the puking.
As stated previously make sure the coolant level in the degas bottle is at or below the minimum level mark that is molded into the degas bottle and replace the degas bottle cap and see if it pukes again.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:47 PM
shultzaberger
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mustang_309
As stated previously make sure the coolant level in the degas bottle is at or below the minimum level mark that is molded into the degas bottle and replace the degas bottle cap and see if it pukes again.
When I bought my truck it was puking a little but deltas were always perfect. The cap seemed to be a little worn so I replaced it and it's been fine for over 15,000 miles.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:52 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
also forgot to mention I have a bad glow plug on 6
That could very well be your white puff of smoke; if the cylinder wasn't hot enough...it won't light the fuel off until compression heat takes over. The glow plugs help the cylinders light the fuel off until the engine warms up; the colder it is...the longer they stay on. And in the case of the 6.0L the longer the glow plugs are on...the longer until the alternator starts charging the electrical system. Thus, allot of short trips in cold weather are a really bad idea with this engine.

Since your degas cap has recently been changed, I feel it's safe to rule that out. Might be a good idea to put the truck nose down (rear end 4-5 inches higher) and pull the EGR valve and see if you've got coolant there. Not saying it will be there...but it won't hurt to check.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:28 PM
ves83
Senior User
Ok so this is my first winter with the truck and I might be paranoid. Well I am paranoid. The truck is tune by Matt at gearhead so it has no egr function should I still put the nose down.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:36 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Ok so this is my first winter with the truck and I might be paranoid. Well I am paranoid. The truck is tune by Matt at gearhead so it has no egr function should I still put the nose down.
Only if you still have a EGR cooler on the truck. If it has been deleted or blocked off (both ends)...then it's pointless. The nose down procedure will cause any possible leaked coolant to migrate to the front of the horseshoe (intake). Your intake should be dry or slightly oily; if there is any water like substance in it, your EGR cooler more than like has started leaking.

As it continues to cool off, your going to notice that white puff getting worse. I'd look into getting that glow plug replaced.