Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

what do u guys think of new ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 04:32 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
What's up with the issue that DI engines supposedly have with valves getting excessive carbon deposits? I'm trying to learn more before buying a new DI engine.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:36 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by SCBudman
For whatever it's worth, there are some interesting things on Youtube if you do a search on "ecoboost issues".
That's a loaded search. Google I google any engine or manufacturer with the word issues, I will get exactly that, loads of web pages that match that search criteria.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:51 AM
excaliber551
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will be fine as long as you don't need to tow or haul much weight with it. It will be severely underpowered if people try to use it like the 3.5 EB and the mileage will suffer.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:51 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by excaliber551
It will be fine as long as you don't need to tow or haul much weight with it. It will be severely underpowered if people try to use it like the 3.5 EB and the mileage will suffer.
Really? The 2.7EB produces 325hp and 375 lb-ft... 5 more hp and 15 less lb-ft than my 2009 5.4, and with a much flatter torque curve. And the 5.4s, while not being the highest performance motor in the world, were certainly sufficient to tow up to the rating of the truck. I'd have a hard time calling the 2.7EB "severely underpowered".

Old 11-21-2014, 06:37 PM
excaliber551
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tvsjr
Really? The 2.7EB produces 325hp and 375 lb-ft... 5 more hp and 15 less lb-ft than my 2009 5.4, and with a much flatter torque curve. And the 5.4s, while not being the highest performance motor in the world, were certainly sufficient to tow up to the rating of the truck. I'd have a hard time calling the 2.7EB "severely underpowered".
We'll see when people actually own them. Most people who buy trucks don't buy them for mileage although the new ratings look nice. I have a hard time seeing why anyone would want the smaller EB engine over the larger 3.5 or the 5.0.

The larger EB gets poor mileage when towing. Do you actually think the smaller EB is going to do well towing?
5 mpg and struggling isn't something I'd want to look forward to.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:45 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 441 Likes on 323 Posts
I don't think anyone will be (or should be) buying the new 2.7EB for towing mileage. It's for occasional towing, and better unloaded mileage, just the the 3.5EB.

Mileage when empty matters much more than mileage while towing. Both to the EPA, and to the vast majority of users.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Its the way of the future just like in the 80's......as long as they are new and the oem is taking care of any repairs under warranty everything is great...now find anybody who wants to buy one after 100k+ miles....of have a "repair" that either the mechanic can't diagnose or repair correctly creating a $1k charge for any issue/repair and we are already seeing this where the repairs are exceeding the value of a replacement engine...which is $15k

As engines get boosted, especially with turbo's whose impellors are very sensitive to dust, dirt, etc., as things (as a result of what would be considered normal) change as a result of a minor system "adjustment" or normal wear, what is typically ok on a normally aspirated engine, becomes catestrophic on a "boosted" engine....and what I am posting is really nothing new, it's literally a repeat of the late 70's/80's with GM, Ford & Dodge....

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...ailure-117517/

04-04-2013, 03:23 PM EcoBoom
“When I went to the dealer..........they lifted it up and removed the skid plates to find a hole on either side of the block just above the oil pan rail. to shorten this up. They quoted me $12+ to install a new motor”

Dec 10, 2014 1:28 pm inkryptic
http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewt...hp?f=7&t=10429

...#5 was misfiring. It turn out there is a hole in the piston.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...-blown-motors/

Engine number 2 blowing up within 3 weeks...............cylinders 3 and 6 had been flooding/running rich and blew apart. Same problem as before.

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/31...e-failure.html

08-22-2013 Blueflame12
I have a 2012 F150 with the Ecoboost engine and it has about 34k miles. As I was driving to work, which was only about 4 miles from the dealer, the tapping noise suddenly got very loud following a BANG. Dealer called saying the engine suffered catastrophic failure and was going to be replaced under the warranty. They said metal chunks were found in the oil and the turbos were damaged too

http://www.f150online.com/forums/v6-...ml#post5116221

cburbee 11-04-2014
“I have a 2011 f150 ecoboost. 130000km on it.............the engine misfired…….Drove straight to the dealership….told me engine is toast, metal filings all through the bottom end. No idea what caused it. I was quoted 15k for the replacement (canadian).

Mtnmanut 11-04-2014

“My POS ecoboost did that at 2000 mile........... New motor under warranty. first complaints to dealer was **** poor mileage,ticking and knocking. took blowing it up and ford rep to get them to look at it.”

Old 11-22-2014, 08:35 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Beechkid
Its the way of the future just like in the 80's......as long as they are new and the oem is taking care of any repairs under warranty everything is great...now find anybody who wants to buy one after 100k+ miles....of have a "repair" that either the mechanic can't diagnose or repair correctly creating a $1k charge for any issue/repair and we are already seeing this where the repairs are exceeding the value of a replacement engine...which is $15k
I think if you look a little harder you can find a 3.5 ecoboost engine for way less than that 15,000 price that you speak of, last week on ford racing site I had seen this engine on special for 7,200, went back this morning and had a hard time finding the engine which is now 9400 dollars complete and new,3.5L V-6 ECOBOOST ENGINE KIT | Part Details for M-6007-35T* | Ford Racing Performance Parts, so I'd imagine with some careful shopping you could do better.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:27 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 441 Likes on 323 Posts
Also, engines and vehicles in general may be getting more complex, but that trend is not restricted to the EcoBoost engines at all. I'm sure the diagnostic procedure is very similar on the 5.0L Coyote V8, and pretty much anything else you can buy in a 2015 model.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:35 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
100,000 miles won't even be an issue for the EcoBoost. Fords Test mule EcoBoost engine was torn down after 160,000 miles of abuse. The engine was in great shape. I followed the testing procedure on this engine very closely and feel Ford went over the top to make sure this engine was rock solid.
I have 62,000 on mine now and I think it runs better today than it did when I first drove off the lot. There is no doubt in my mind I will get the 160,000+ plus I need from this engine.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:37 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by j.grif
I think if you look a little harder you can find a 3.5 ecoboost engine for way less than that 15,000 price that you speak of, last week on ford racing site I had seen this engine on special for 7,200, went back this morning and had a hard time finding the engine which is now 9400 dollars complete and new,3.5L V-6 ECOBOOST ENGINE KIT | Part Details for M-6007-35T* | Ford Racing Performance Parts, so I'd imagine with some careful shopping you could do better.
Just an FYI, there are a couple of postings in other forums (sorry- didn't have time to search for the threads) that F150 ecoboost owners (2) are outside of the oem warranty, repairs to their engines (with less than 120K miles) exceed the value and their dealers both quoted $15k to replace the engines.....especially when most people are absent of the time/ability to pull their own engines, this gets a little expensive especially considering the alternative...the 5.0.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:51 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by xr7gt390
100,000 miles won't even be an issue for the EcoBoost. Fords Test mule EcoBoost engine was torn down after 160,000 miles of abuse. The engine was in great shape. I followed the testing procedure on this engine very closely and feel Ford went over the top to make sure this engine was rock solid.
I have 62,000 on mine now and I think it runs better today than it did when I first drove off the lot. There is no doubt in my mind I will get the 160,000+ plus I need from this engine.
While the testing has definitely shown all those tributes, this is no different than the testing, ads & marketing done by GM & Ford & Chrysler in the 80's.....and with regards to the current ecoboost, while the vast majority have little to no issues, looking at the pattern of published complaints specific to the engine, this has an parallel pattern to the 80's. It also clearly is demonstrated (regarding the longer term impactor's) documented by GM in the 90's...at that time, GM has 640,000 pages of troubleshooting guides; software was actually developed with "Heads-up" display glasses that would in essence "point" to the component the tech should be assessing and each step to assess it- this system was deployed at 6 GM dealers in the US for feasibility purposes.....and was especially pushed (conceptually) because dealers were claiming for a tech to maintain current knowledge they in concept would have to spend 6 months of each year in "school".........

What also lead up to this was GMHE's Facility for Automotive Simulation & Test (FAST) facility that was established in El Segundo, California in the late 80's. A joint venture so to speak established by GM & Hughes Aircraft (when GM bought HAC), the operation essentially transferred engineers from HAC Space & Radar groups (software specific) to evaluate, "repair" (not the best words but you get the idea) and make recommendation for future production. 2 years later, the entire project was scrapped. The outcome (and I'm paraphrasing here) was "Keep it simple" for both production & repair/maintenance standpoint.

The engineering of the Ecoboost is incredible, impressive, but extremely complex......where (IMHO) time will be the "Villain" as history has showed.

again, just my old age.......................

Old 11-24-2014, 01:55 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Just an FYI, there are a couple of postings in other forums (sorry- didn't have time to search for the threads) that F150 ecoboost owners (2) are outside of the oem warranty, repairs to their engines (with less than 120K miles) exceed the value and their dealers both quoted $15k to replace the engines.....especially when most people are absent of the time/ability to pull their own engines, this gets a little expensive especially considering the alternative...the 5.0.
I see you are afraid of new better technology and are searching for any bit of information that goes along with your perception of that technology. We spend a lot of money for these trucks and need to buy what makes us comfortable, that's why Ford has the 5.0 and will probably have it for a long time. Until you own an EcoBoost you'll never see why we love them!
BTW, I sold my 2008 F150 with about 100,000 miles for $24,000 (in 1 day) after I bought my 2012. Unless the truck is a beat up POS, it should be worth well over 14K with 120,000.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:12 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by xr7gt390
I see you are afraid of new better technology and are searching for any bit of information that goes along with your perception of that technology. We spend a lot of money for these trucks and need to buy what makes us comfortable, that's why Ford has the 5.0 and will probably have it for a long time. Until you own an EcoBoost you'll never see why we love them!
Personally, I worked directly for GMHE and was directly involved in the FAST program, that included performance testing of A/V driver warning systems for emergency vehicles, and radar controlled collision avoidance systems; additionally I raced in the SCCA road circuits for several years and even learned to "e-tune" my 2006 Mark LT, including the home fabbed ram air system & rear suspension sway bar (including the home fabbed end link assemblies).............but long before that, my fathers engines turned 211 mph at El Mirage in the Stecker's streamliner back in 1955 (and was on the cover of hot rod magazine)...and yes, it was a normally aspirated flathead....and was later the co-program manager for the phoenix missle and personally designed the wings & control surfaces...and in his spare time, designed one of the first prototype front wheel drive indy cars.

I have lived with new technologies my whole life including heading up and managing (back in 1986) the 1st voice activate intrinsically safe two way communication system for use in hazardous environments....and I am not an electronics or software-engineer.....and if you really knew what I do for a living, you would "crap in your pants" so to speak to even begin thinking that. I encourage you to look at my albums and if after that, you can honestly state that "I am afraid of technology", well, so be it.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:49 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Sorry I guess that came out wrong. All I meant was if you don't like or feel comfortable with the EcoBoost Technology Ford still has the 5.0 V8 and will probably keep that engine for a long time. It's great to have choices.

Quick Reply: what do u guys think of new ecoboost