1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rear Located Gas Tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 09:40 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
I am using the 23 gal. tank from a 88 Bronco II. It has a left hand filler that passes between the frame rail and bed without having to notch the rail.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:31 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a picture of my CPP 19 gal aluminum tank.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:51 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
OOPs, sorry, forgot how to post pics. Here you go.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:16 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,135 Likes on 2,657 Posts
Wouldn't that tank have been better placed on top of the frame rails so it doesn't hang down so low?

Old 10-18-2014, 10:05 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
No, actually the picture is deceiving. From the back of the truck, it doesn't hang that low. The bed wood is flush with the tank and only has about a 1 inch clearance between the wood and tank. I used a marine gas filler that was exactly one inch and worked nicely. I guess if you raised the bed floor, it would be possible to mount above the frame, however this is the way the instructions state. I'll try to post a pic of the rear of the truck, you'll see what I mean.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:53 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
I guess if you raised the bed floor, it would be possible to mount above the frame, however this is the way the instructions state. I

the only problem with mounting above the frame is if you have a problem with the tank... you'd have to remove the bed wood or the rear end of the bed to remove the tank or repair it... hanging under the frame is the best way

john

Old 10-19-2014, 12:28 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
John is correct! In the event I would have to remove the gas tank, it would be easy versus having to remove the bed wood, etc. Here is picture (not a great shot) but you can get an idea of what the tank looks like from the rear. Several people paint the tank flat black which hides it even better. Personally, I like the look of the tank.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:49 PM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
With the rear mounted gas tanks, I see that most (if not all) the tanks hang below the frame. Does this interfere with the original exhaust system? If so, is a custom exhaust needed or can the tailpipe just be lowered slightly to avoid the tank?
Also, if using the original gauges (in my case 1950), what do I need the empty and full resistance readings to be in order for the gauge to work properly?

Old 02-16-2015, 03:47 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with 49willard, stock tank behind the seat. It's modified so it feeds from the top, not the bottom. With a rollover vent that vents to under the cab and a non vented cap, there aren't fumes in the cab. My spare tire fits in the standard location.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:01 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Cougar54
With the rear mounted gas tanks, I see that most (if not all) the tanks hang below the frame. Does this interfere with the original exhaust system? If so, is a custom exhaust needed or can the tailpipe just be lowered slightly to avoid the tank?
Also, if using the original gauges (in my case 1950), what do I need the empty and full resistance readings to be in order for the gauge to work properly?
I'm glad I removed the gas tank from inside the interior. Something about having that many gallons of fuel in the interior made me nervous, not to mention a leak, fumes etc. As for the exhaust, I'm not sure if it interferes with a stock exhause. My exhaust turns down prior to the rear axle so it's not a problem. Others run the exhaust over the differential and on the outsides of the frame rails and gas tank, so again no issues.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:07 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
I believe that most if not all rear mounted gas tanks will challenge locating a stock exhaust and many other custom exhausts. I suspect that a majority of those with rear mounted tanks in bonusbuilt F-1's end up with a side exhaust. Rear mounted tanks want the same "real estate" that the exhaust wants. That is one reason that I stayed with a stock tank.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:37 PM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 49willard
I believe that most if not all rear mounted gas tanks will challenge locating a stock exhaust and many other custom exhausts. I suspect that a majority of those with rear mounted tanks in bonusbuilt F-1's end up with a side exhaust. Rear mounted tanks want the same "real estate" that the exhaust wants. That is one reason that I stayed with a stock tank.
That's what I'm concerned with. I am considering the rear mounted tank but I want to be sure that I understand what I am getting into before I decide and not after when it may be too late. I realize that I will have to deal with tank mounting and filler neck issues and I have a plan to deal with them.
I still am not sure how to deal with:
1) The sending unit issues when using a Chevy tank with our stock gauges.
2) The OEM tailpipe
3) Any other issues that I currently haven't thought of yet.

Thus, I am asking if anyone who has already done this mod to fill me in on what I will face to make this work. At this point, I can still go either way. My biggest reason to remove the interior tank is to get a little additional room for the seats. Getting rid of interior fuel and the possible fumes would be a bonus. If I believe it is more trouble than it is worth, I'll purchase a new OEM tank and go that way which is what I believe Bill is telling me.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:45 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
There was a thread about this a couple of days ago, but I used one from Tanks Inc. It's universal tank which is smaller than some of the others have posted about but it fits very well. Here are a couple of shots of it. I have to fab the frame around it and the filler kit, apron and cap, came the same vendor. Get it out of the cab. My 2cts

Old 02-16-2015, 04:47 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
This one didn't post. When finished.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:53 PM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
What did you use for an exhaust system? Are you using the stock fuel gauge?

Quick Reply: Rear Located Gas Tank