1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Just purchased a 67' F100

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Mister_King
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry for taking so long to update the thread. A lot has happened in the last 2 days. Started with a basic tune up on the truck. Changed the air cleaner, oil, oil filter, rebuilt / cleaner carb. Truck fired right up and idles very good. Truck was smoking out the exhaust quite a bit, especially when revved, but it has died down quite a bit. Guessing it has to do with the fact that is was just sitting for about 6 months+.

Now to the main problem. When the truck idles, everything is perfect. When the truck is revved it begins to make an inconsistent almost hollow random knock every 2-4 seconds or so of revving the truck to higher RPMs. I was going to start by replacing all the lifters and checking the rods. When I took off the cover I realized the rods that are suppose to pump out oil through those 2 small holes on each bracket were completely dry and had some slight surface ruse below them. This led me to believe there was no oil getting to the lifters, which in turn was causing them to knock.

I checked my oil pressure and it was very low. Ordered a new high performance oil pump and put it in last night. Ran the truck for a while and still heard some knocks, but I am thinking I may have to let the truck idle and let the oil pump run through for a bit and maybe it will fix the knocking. If not I am going to find which lifter is making the noise and replace it. I picked up 2 lifters at star auto parts for about $5 each. I didn't finish the oil pump til about 9 at night so I didnt have much time to let the truck idle but my oil pressure was way up. Not all the way to H but much much higher.

If this happens to fix the knocking I'll be flushing radiator and refilling it as well as changing some spark plugs. Got a brand new distributor on the truck as well now.

Sorry there is still no photos, I just get so busy in the moment and by the time I remember its to dark to take any.

If you have any suggestions for the knocking, feel free to let me know as I am not an experienced mechanic is any way.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:58 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
Lifters make more of a clatter than a knock. Inconsistent knock could be detonation. What's your timing at? Is the vac advance working correctly?

Sounds like you know what your doing, good luck!

Old 10-18-2014, 04:59 PM
Mister_King
Tuned
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
Lifters make more of a clatter than a knock. Inconsistent knock could be detonation. What's your timing at? Is the vac advance working correctly?

Sounds like you know what your doing, good luck!
Hmm... didn't think about that. First thing I do once I get back to working on the truck is change the spark plugs and mess with the timing. As for vac advance I am going to have to look into this as well.

I will update this tonight if possible and let you know.

Thanks for the quick response.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:14 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Welcome to the Old Iron crowd. Looks like a straight body, from the photos... nice starting point, either to make it a daily driver, or pimp your ride into a cherry.. I've had mine 45 years, and been through the block, after being around it plenty. Power steering on the old F250 was the biggest improvement.. way nice..

Baja

Old 10-20-2014, 05:04 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
I suggest going to a parts store and buy some combustion chamber cleaner. Not the In-Tank kind. The kind you slowly pour down both throats of the carb with a high idle. Do this with your old plugs.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:49 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
I suggest going to a parts store and buy some combustion chamber cleaner. Not the In-Tank kind. The kind you slowly pour down both throats of the carb with a high idle. Do this with your old plugs.
Ha Jeff remember old skool 1/2+ gal of water removed carbon build up..
Orich

Old 10-20-2014, 11:56 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
After all your tune up, do a compression check, and you can eliminate a broken ring, from the possible click/knock.. best to solve that, or any, noise before it matures into a problem.

Sounds like you are up to the task of solving problems. Plenty of good help here, when you need it.

Good luck amigo

Bsjs

Old 10-22-2014, 02:14 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Smile

Originally Posted by orich
Ha Jeff remember old skool 1/2+ gal of water removed carbon build up..
Orich
YEP. Sure do Rich. Or using a quart of ATF to do the same thing. Smoke like a fiend 'till the carbon all burned up!

Old 12-15-2014, 07:27 PM
Mister_King
Tuned
Been almost 2-months since I last posted on this thread about my 1967 F100 4x4. Lot's of work since then. Figured since I had some free time I would come on here and update it a bit. The original 352 that came on the truck ended up being no good and I didn't have $2,200 to drop on a full rebuild. (That's what the machine shop gave me an estimate for.) I found someone selling a used FE 360 out of a 74' F100-F250. Took a couple weeks for me to pull the old motor and put the new one in, but slowly and surely I got it done and the truck is running very good now.

As of rite now I have the entire interior of the truck pulled out including all the heater controls, gas tank, dash, etc. Been sanding down the inside and outside of the cab and I am going to be spraying the whole truck the original color. (Original color is 1967 Ford "Lunar Green". This was a forest-service truck so I do believe it was sprayed a darker green afterwards, but either way, original color it will be.) I am going to be pulling the bed off of the truck and focusing primarily on the cab inside and out.

The original hood that was on the truck was a bondo-bucket and will not be salvageable. Going to be scrapping it and finding one in better condition at pick-a-part. Door panels are also in rough shape so I will be keeping an eye out for some better condition ones as well.

Rubber around the windows is cracking pretty bad, so on the day I decide to spray I will be removing the windows, then spraying everything, then putting the windows back on with the new rubber once dry.

I learned after putting my heater together for the first time it was no good when coolant sprayed all inside the cab of the truck. When I removed the heater I took it apart and saw how bad the heater core was. Purchased a new one and new hosing and will be sanding and respraying the heater black. (Someone sprayed it green.) Basically doing all the possible work on the heater now so I don't have to mess with it again for another 50 years. (Hopefully.)

If you have any questions about the truck or how things are going feel free to ask me and I will be checking up on here much more frequently now and updating this thread. Will also start adding some more photos of the progress as this is coming along.

Thanks!
-Ryan

Old 12-16-2014, 12:16 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Progress is a beautifull thing Ryan. No matter how great or small.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:21 AM
Mister_King
Tuned
I'll admit I am pretty bad at keeping this thread up to date! Since I started this thread about 2-3 months ago, a lot has happened. (Even if it doesn't seem like it.) What was suppose to be "just a tune up" turned into putting in a totally different engine. (Talked about that whole situation in an older post on this thread.) I then began to strip the interior down to nothing and begin sanding. I have a photo of some of the progress of sanding / bondoing which I will ad. (Notice the original color coming through!)

Entire truck was sanded multiple times starting with 80 grit and ending with 220 grit into a fine 400 grit once over. Truck was bondo'd until I was satisfied. Took about an entire pint, but it actually came out a lot better than I figured it would. Entire truck has been primered with Rustoleum Automotive Primer. I am going to be using a very flat forest green to paint the truck. Nothing fancy, just some cans of Rustoleum's camouflage series green. Everything will be done green including the front light covers and grill. I have flat black for the front and back bumper.

So far just seeing the truck in primer is getting me excited. Going to be fine sanding the primer with some 400 grit just enough to smooth it out and use some industrial degreaser / paint prepare spray and clean everything and work my way in sections at a time. This is not in any means a show truck, just a daily driver / off road vehicle. I am a fan of the flat colors, and they also do a good job at hiding any imperfections. Interior is going to match exterior.

It's been a long 2-3 months and it may not seem like I have done much, but I am already many-many-many hours deep into this truck and it (along with help from this site) has taught me more mechanically than I though I ever would. I plan on beginning the painting of the truck tomorrow. Although I have completed many things, I still have a big to-do list that seems to get bigger as I go! I initially wanted to put a C6 in the truck to replace the NP435 but have figured it would be much more practical to keep the NP435. (Maybe add one of those Ranger torque converters in the future.)

Either way, I will do my best to keep this more up-to-date and will definitely add some photos once the paint job is completed.

To-do list:
Paint Job (Tomorrow!)
New Hood (Planning on making a pick-a-part trip within the next couple days.)
Electric Ignition / Flamethrower Coil (Purchased, just need to install.)
Headers
New All Terrain Tires (These mud terrains are beginning to show there age.)
Transfer Case Rebuild (Has a hard time locking into 4x4, sometimes won't.)
Bench Seat Reupholstered
Interior Flooring
New Dash Pad
Radio / CB Radio (Have both, just need to install.)
Remove Purple Tint
Fix Leaking Wheel Cylinders

Expect seeing this along with much more in the future on this thread!

Hood Off, Sanding, Bondoing (Before Priming was done.)

Old 01-21-2015, 01:24 AM
Mister_King
Tuned
Final beauty shot before body work began.<br/>

Old 01-21-2015, 08:56 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Looking good amigo, mine is just behind you in the paint stage... Sanding & bondo now, on the bed, as the cab is all done, inside & out... I chose to undercoat everything, and now that the bed mods are almost complete, its off to the paint shop on Fri... Latest photo I have is...

Old 01-22-2015, 01:48 AM
Mister_King
Tuned
Originally Posted by bajafishnut
Looking good amigo, mine is just behind you in the paint stage... Sanding & bondo now, on the bed, as the cab is all done, inside & out... I chose to undercoat everything, and now that the bed mods are almost complete, its off to the paint shop on Fri... Latest photo I have is...
Looking good! Love the two tone blue / white. I would have attempted a 2-tone if I had the chrome that goes on the bump because I don't think I would be able to make a straight line! Either way, looking good. Got the majority of the cab sprayed today. Too dark to take a photo, but I will be sure to get some tomorrow. At this pace I believe I could be done with painting in about 4-5 days.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:04 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey Baja it would look good with a side tool box. But may be not so good down your way.

As it seems like there's always a thief who wants to know what's inside that they can to steal. And those bed tool side boxes is the place they will try to pry open when no one around to watch them..

Orich

Quick Reply: Just purchased a 67' F100