Sponsored by: Moser

1978-1979 Crew Cab build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 11:51 AM
emeraldcoupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 1KILLERZ
Thanks. I try to paint an accurate picture of what goes on in my dysfunctional mind when doing this. We have all been there, on one project or another, and misery loves company, so I figured why not use my thoughts to convey the chaos that occurs on a project, regardless of how well thought out (not in my case though. Mine's a dream with a thin lined planned. Think Hindenburg, without explosions...so far)

Hoping to capture more pictures for you all, as this really is going to be a great daily driving and capable rig once done in my opinion. And the wiring harness, all the connectors, and stuff like that, well, there's no book out there for it (Power Stroke in a 70's truck) unfortunately.

yeah, I know what you mean lol.

be glad your not here in florida. I hate spiders to, there are some MONSTER sized *******s down here. google image banana spiders. wasp spray works great to kill them, and the can shoots about 20 feet so you don't have to get to close

Old 02-25-2015, 12:31 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by emeraldcoupe
yeah, I know what you mean lol.

be glad your not here in florida. I hate spiders to, there are some MONSTER sized *******s down here. google image banana spiders. wasp spray works great to kill them, and the can shoots about 20 feet so you don't have to get to close
I have been to florida, and seen your spiders. And I think I will stay in Michigan. Lol.

I have two cases of wasp spray for that exact reason; spiders. the stuff is incredible, works wonders, and keeps me at a safe distance. Just be glad we dont live in australia... you seen those monsters?? screw that.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:44 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
winter's over!!!!

So, still screwing with the wiring harness to make the PS 7.3 work. In between that and potentially losing my mind, looking at ways to make the King Ranch Seats work/secure/safe in my truck.

Viewed several sites, ideas, etc. One of my buddies mounted some in his 1979 utilizing the following plan:
"I used 2"x3" backer plates made of 1/4 steel on the bottom of the cab and used riser washers on my inside to adjust the height 1-2". Then mounded the seats to the floor crossmember. That was the anchor mount directly to the floor."

Now that the snow is gone, time to get cracking on the interior, and the wiring harness...

Old 04-08-2015, 01:47 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
idea for seat mounts from a buddy...

Old 04-08-2015, 02:28 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If your go that route for mounting then you'd be better off bending the bracket so it's Square with the hardware, also put washers on the top side so the bolt/bracket doesn't get chewed up.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:35 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
If your go that route for mounting then you'd be better off bending the bracket so it's Square with the hardware, also put washers on the top side so the bolt/bracket doesn't get chewed up.
Very true. I am not sure if I like it or not. I do like that it is adjustable for height, but one of a million ideas I am tossing around...anything to keep me from lighting my wiring harness on fire...I still can't eat spaghetti because it causes some flash backs and murderous rage...

Old 04-08-2015, 03:14 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Here's just another idea to kick around on seat mounts. Those king Ranch seats should be pretty similar to my seats.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...t-install.html

Old 04-08-2015, 05:40 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
Here's just another idea to kick around on seat mounts. Those king Ranch seats should be pretty similar to my seats.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...t-install.html
Yours is much better in my opinion. Thanks for posting it here. I will update my progress for sure.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:56 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks. I'm not a fan of drilling through the floor for seat mounts like many guys do. Much more effort my way for sure, but a better solution in my opinion.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:53 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
Thanks. I'm not a fan of drilling through the floor for seat mounts like many guys do. Much more effort my way for sure, but a better solution in my opinion.
The effort you put in will reward you in the long run. But you already know that. And I agree, drilling a dozen new holes in the floor to mount some seats is not for either.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:10 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
back in the saddle again...

ish....

So been working on small things while sorting the wiring harness...

Drinking beer and playing cards...

Getting "handsy" while playing pool

Bought a Kel-Tec Ksg and another AR-15, then had some bacon.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:14 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
was looking for some inspiration while I was sorting through 1000 feet of wiring harness...

Stumbled across this beauty (although not a crew cab, it was a diesel)...

I am really digging the blacked out look, although I would prefer shiny black. Considering the state of Eleanor when I found her in Washington, sans the larger tires in the picture...

I think I might borrow some of the extended cabs styling cues down the road...

Old 06-23-2015, 01:18 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
part of the problem is my solution...

Again, I am trying to keep the truck as original in appearance as possible (outside of the 8 inch total lift, 37" tires, etc.).
Thusly I am trying to keep the dash, steering, etc. as stock as possible (cause the King Ranch seats wont be a give-away at all ).
Current situation:

Old 06-23-2015, 01:24 PM
1KILLERZ
More Turbo
nosy neighbors...

... that call code enforcement are no fun at all. Me and two of my other neighbors have discovered the hard way that one of our neighbors doesn't like us...

So going forward I will be inside my garage more than I would like (as opposed to outside in the fresh air). But I digress...

Sticky with the blacked out scheme (No more Eleanor, maybe Black Ops?), I picked up some bed liner type spray that is paint able, so I then picked up chassis gloss black to paint over that.

Thank goodness for engine lifts. For some reason my 7 year old couldn't help me lift this D60 onto my hillbilly work surface...

I can't sort wiring all the time guys...so I hope to have the front and rear cleaned, prepped, and painted this weekend. Pictures to come.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:25 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Excellent work!

I call myself an active member here but am ashamed for missing your build!

That is going to be an astonishing power stroke and a beautiful interior..

Quick Reply: 1978-1979 Crew Cab build thread