Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I might have found my new truck... thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:03 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
I think Krazee is on the right track, a True Trac for the rear may be the way to go. Later on you could add a 4WD front axle and be done.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:42 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
It's not so much that I want 4X4 as it is I want a little bit of a lift and larger tires. both of those things are out of reach as a 2wd

Old 10-24-2014, 09:52 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
It's not so much that I want 4X4 as it is I want a little bit of a lift and larger tires. both of those things are out of reach as a 2wd
Razzi's 7.3 is 2wd and it's on a 6" and 35's. Next excuse?

You should be able to go not-crazy on the lift and tires and be fine with the 5.4, if it is indeed as proficient at moving the rig as you say it is.

Even if it isn't and needs a regear for the tire size, you only have one axle to gear so it's not that bad. Do gear AND locker simultaneously to save on labor, etc - done.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:42 AM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USCG_PA
This is a LOT more money, but I think I would rather have this...

Ford F 250 Ranger XLT | eBay

However, that little red rider does look like it has potential.

Good luck on what you decide.

Is that a "C-ell out" badge on the side of that truck? You have to call a "C-ell out" truck what it is...its a Fummins NOT a Ford.

IMHO...Stick to the factory power plants Ford put in their trucks...you'll be happier in the long run.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:00 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
Razzi's 7.3 is 2wd and it's on a 6" and 35's. Next excuse?
It's worth lifting, that's all. You put that kind of money into a nice 7.3 you have a really nice rig. If I put that kind of money into mine I still have a asd little 5.4 X. I just feel like I'll be putting donk wheels on an old junker. I would rather get a nicer truck before buying all the upgrades.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:03 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Honestly it has nothing to do with "speed". It has nothing to do with anything except the 4X4 really. Like I said I would be happy with my 5.4 (seriously, it's not that bad) if it were able to get out of a ditch on it's own. I've never had it stuck, but also never put it in a situation I wasn't comfortable with. I never ever have plans on rock crawling or "Muddin", but the off-roading that one of our members does on here does look really exciting. His name escapes me right now, but he has "Responsible off-roading" on the side of his rig, something I am also a huge fan of (the responsible part). The only real reason I'm moving up in motor is the money. To get a super clean 5.4 (I have no idea how I found my 5.4) will be about the same price a a V-10. The diesel is just the next step up is all.
I was lucky enough to be able to go on some trail rides in AZ much like that while my grandparents still wintered down there. It's amazing what you find and more so how many people you meet out in the middle of nowhere!
If I was looking for a truck for that it would be a extended cab short box f250/350 or excursion v10 from the 99-04 years. The coil spring front end is better on the road but not as good for off-road flexibility without modifications but lift a 99/04 A couple of inches and a locker in the rear and it will do very well.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:40 AM
Plex
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apoc, it sounds like your mind is made up to get a diesel no matter what they're saying on here - so find one and just do it... It doesn't seem like they'll be able to talk you out of it anyway haha

Old 10-25-2014, 02:48 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Not really, the V-10 would be fine in 4X4 format. I just won't settle for another 5.4 is all. If I'm going to buy a new X I want it to have a bit more power. I can't even get a CAI for my damn 5.4

Old 10-25-2014, 09:37 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
These trucks come with a factory CAI. No need to add one. Have you done the zoodad mod?

Old 10-25-2014, 11:18 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not really, the V-10 would be fine in 4X4 format. I just won't settle for another 5.4 is all. If I'm going to buy a new X I want it to have a bit more power. I can't even get a CAI for my damn 5.4
I wouldn't completely eliminate the 5.4 if it was a 3v but that's not a option if your looking at Ex's. The 3v 5.4 in my Expedition will almost pull as hard as a 2v v10. As they said before, you won't know untell you drive it.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:05 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
These trucks come with a factory CAI. No need to add one. Have you done the zoodad mod?
It was done the day I bought it. I wasn't really meaning that I want one of those cheap eBay CAI kits, but there is literally nothing for my truck. Here's how it works when I shop for parts:

Computer: What do you drive?
Me: Excursion
Computer: Wow, those are bad a**!
Me: I know right?
Computer: So what are you looking for?
Me: I would like to go faster.
Computer: Diesel or gas?
Me: Gas
Computer: V-10 I assume?
Me: Nope, 5.4
Computer: Well kiss that dream goodbye, next customer!
-------------------------------------------------------------

Computer: What do you drive?
Me: Excursion
Computer: Wow, those are INSANE!!!
Me: Right?
Computer: So what are you looking for?
Me: I'd like a lift kit so I can add bigger wheels and tires and make it look bigger than the new F-150s that are coming out now.
Computer: 2 or 4 wheel drive?
Me: Just 2, but I don't really need 4 wheel drive. I would hardly ever use it but it would be nice to have just in case I ever needed it.
Computer: Ok, well we have some nice lift kits here and some really good deals on some big tires too! Tell me, what motor are you running, the diesel or the V-10?
Me:......
Computer: Are you still there?
Me: triton....V8
Computer: Oh, well in that case you need our little bi**h package. It comes with new gears for the rear end, a quad turbo set-up, a roots blower and nitrous plus an AUX tank for extra fuel. We also remove the Lie-O-Meter from your truck so you don't cry as you watch the numbers count down slowly and try to remember the times you were able to do 80 down the highway under 8000RPM.
Me: That seems excessive and like it might not be the best option...
COMPUTER: With that motor and the weight of the truck plus the rotating mass of the wheels and tires you'll need a motor rebuild in 100 yards if not sooner.
Me: How much out the door is all that?
Computer: Just buy a new damn truck.
Me: But some of the guys on FTE were sayi
Computer: SHUT UP AND BUY A NEW TRUCK
Me: Ok

Old 10-26-2014, 01:48 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Computer: Well kiss that dream goodbye, next customer!
-------------------------------------------------------------

Computer: SHUT UP AND BUY A NEW TRUCK
Me: Ok

Stewart

Old 10-26-2014, 03:57 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Ok, I think I found a "good" deal. It looks to be in decent shape except for the interior but mine of course is. I'm going to go look at it this week and see if the motor and tranny are strong. As long as it isn't rusted or knocking I think it's both within my price range to buy outright cash and plenty for me to salvage from mine to make a really clean X and then sell mine cheap just to get rid of it.

200 Ford Excursion

Old 10-26-2014, 04:23 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
I like that blue but I would keep looking for a lower mileage rig and try to find an '03+ to get the better heads.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:30 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Jesus. From one Vet to Another. Get the diesel. If you can help it try to find a 99-03 7.3, the 6.0s are GREAT, but you mentioned you have a family and money is not something that comes by easily. You will SCOFF at any gas motor in a 1 ton truck. I also didn't hear anybody tell you that your LEGAL WEIGHT limits go WAY up in a 350 vs a 250. This means, when you look at your sticker on the door, you can carry somewhere in the 3000lbs range with the 350. Get the long bed, you won't regret it, once you put a toolbox on the back, you still have a full size bed.

The 6.0 is a GREAT engine and will blow away any GAS engine that was offered. The problem in here lies, that it almost 95% of the time needs to be whats called "bullet proofed". This involves changing the TTY(Torque to Yield) bolts to Headstuds, deleting the EGR, STC, etc and so forth. Now if you are gonna buy one, then just be prepared to do some of that stuff. They are great engines and have whats called a "cult" following, which means the general population who knows nothing "hates" them, but the people who know about them love them.

Either way, go with the diesel brother, you will not be disappointed. Also the maintenance will be more, but that isn't always the case, you just have to find the sales and deals. Also the diesel will hold it's value 10x over the gas engine. You will also save money in the long run on the mileage if you keep it vs the gas engine, which I think you will. You will also have no problem towing heavy "easily". The gas engines can do it, but boy do they have to be high in the RPMs and seem to struggle, where the diesel just glides!

Quick Reply: Think I might have found my new truck... thoughts?