Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I might have found my new truck... thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 11:09 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apoc, I think you are suffering from the grass is always greener syndrome. I would recommend taking a step back, and then writing out on PAPER what you really want, what you have and why each either is a plus or minus.

A diesel can be a great thing, and I love mine, yet there are times when I realize that with all the money I have thrown at it, I could have had an INSANE V10 version. Do I regret my 6.0? Not in the slightest, as I have always been a bit of a diesel nut, however, diesel is not the answer for everyone.

Just do yourself a favor and determine what you really want, before making a choice you may wish you hadn't. Trust me, when it comes to cars buying one because of emotions almost never works out. Damn, I should never had bought that Dodge...

And BTW, your 5.4 makes you kind of like the little kid brother, you might get picked on a little, but it is all out of love from us bigger kids.

Good luck on your decision.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:45 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Exactly this... I'm wanting to feel like I have the same truck everyone else has on here. I want to feel like I have an actual EXCURSION not an excursion body on an F-150 frame I love the 5.4, I love the 4.6, hell the old 5.0 was a beast! I just think that you guys have this Holy Grail under the hood and I want a piece. Either way I need a new truck, I'm 2wd. Since I'm going to get a new truck I might as well get a diesel since... well Holy Grail and all that. Unless you guys are just lying about all that... Should I just buy some damn gears and a 2wd lift kit?!?
Hell no. You think it does ok with that 5.4 now, just throw some 35's and the extra drag and wind resistance with a 4" and you'll hate life unless you've got the money to regear and pay the fuel prices.

Have you considered swapping in a Cummins? Destroked.com has a bunch of stuff for the conversion, mind you most of is is later gen stuff. Just spitballing, but it might allow you to at least join the diesel ranks. I love my 7.3, but NOTHING runs like a Cummins - especially once some tinkering and basic modifications have been done. I ended up in an impromptu race against one a few days ago, and he just cruised past me. We were in triple digits, and mine as well have been hitting the brakes. That and a 6-pop will get better mileage than an 8 any day.

Just an idea, I haven't priced it all out but you may end up more into the swap than buying a Ford diesel in the end.

Keep in mind I looked for my truck for several months before I found it. Good things come to those who wait and who are patient, I have complete faith that you'll be no different my friend.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:21 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
*******, you know if I come up there I'll never want to leave!
You are a plane ride ( two actually, depending on connecting flights ) away from your dream truck and vast beauty that will leave you breathless and not just because its cold

Old 10-09-2014, 05:06 AM
M992wd
Senior User
Have you test driven the other engine options?

Old 10-09-2014, 05:33 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Apoc, I'll be down in your neck of the woods later this month visiting VA Tech again with my son, unfortunately I think we will be driving the Honda. If that plan changes and the EX will be making the trip I'll let you know, we can meet up and you can take my better breathing regeared V-10 for a spin. It might not be the "Holy Grail" but it aint no 5.4 either!

Old 10-09-2014, 06:57 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
Hell no. You think it does ok with that 5.4 now, just throw some 35's and the extra drag and wind resistance with a 4" and you'll hate life unless you've got the money to regear and pay the fuel prices.
This is exactly why I dropped this idea when I first joined the forum. Every few months I think I'll do some of it and then someone (you in this case) reminds me that I really really shouldn't.

Have you considered swapping in a Cummins? Destroked.com has a bunch of stuff for the conversion, mind you most of is is later gen stuff......
Nope, and never will. I have done motor swaps growing up on dozens of CARS and while I loved doing it it was mostly bolt in stuff, nothing groundbreaking. I did several Honda swaps (basically the same as changing an alternator on our trucks) to swapping motors on a focus (much more involved), to swapping in skyline motors in 240s. The skylines are actually the most fun and the easiest (except for the Hondas) but all are gas to gas, Ford to Ford, Nissan to Nissan and so on. Going from gas to diesel I could never feel right in. If I had a diesel starting out it would be different. Another thing is I have the older climate controls and hate them. It's little things like that I'll be stuck with if I keep this truck. If I go with a newer truck I can get something really nice. It's one of the 2 things my truck didn't come with. That and rear DVD. Other than that I'm fully loaded.

Keep in mind I looked for my truck for several months before I found it. Good things come to those who wait and who are patient, I have complete faith that you'll be no different my friend.
I'll look for the next 2 years if I have to, I'm in no rush. I dropped the price of my X to what I have in it on craigslist and will sell it as soon as someone has it in cash. I'll drive my Blazer and put that money in savings until we (cause this is a forum "Excursion" we're on) can find the right truck.

Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
You are a plane ride ( two actually, depending on connecting flights ) away from your dream truck and vast beauty that will leave you breathless and not just because its cold
I thought you said you would never sell yours... I'M ON MY WAY!!!!

Originally Posted by M992wd
Have you test driven the other engine options?
None, not in close to 15 years and back then all I cared about was the damn Zetec motor and hated on the Duratec when it came out because it had so much more potential.

Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Apoc, I'll be down in your neck of the woods later this month visiting VA Tech again with my son, unfortunately I think we will be driving the Honda. If that plan changes and the EX will be making the trip I'll let you know, we can meet up and you can take my better breathing regeared V-10 for a spin. It might not be the "Holy Grail" but it aint no 5.4 either!
I will totally take you up on that, and if you do take the Honda then we can still meet up and you can drive mine and tell me what you think.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:59 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Well wife and I had a long talk tonight. She's against me having 3 trucks and so 1 must go. One has been supposed to go but the damn thing just won't sell. The new problem is she wants me to sell the X too if I get this. I don't ever want to sell my X, not ever. I know it's 2wd, and I know it's a 5.4 but damnit I love this thing! Believe it or not it is a pretty bad-*** truck! I feel like a real man when I'm in it, like my wife didn't take my pair and put them in her purse. I'm a bit at a crossroads now. I really want/need a truck but I don't think I'll ever let the X go. I think this one will have to go but I'll still see what kind of credit limit I can get. I should be good to around 18k or so.
Apoc- drive the other engines and make a list of your 'have to haves' and 'would be nice' options. Make notes when you drive of each truck (they blend together in your head after you drive about 6 or 8 of em!) Don't settle once you make your mind up what you want!! Don't fall in love with a particular vehicle that may not have some of your 'have-to haves'. Keep looking, 'cause Ford made a whole bunch of these... yours IS out there! I looked for a year and a half in 3 states, drove exactly 23 different Xs (some twice), and took my wife or my friends with me when I really liked a particular truck as a sanity check. Finally my wife, found ours 20 miles from home, on her way to work! Yours is out there! It will FEEL right when you find it. Have your finances ready when it comes along... 2 other people had looked at our X and came back as we were finishing the buy- if I hadn't jumped that day it would have been gone. Good luck!

Old 10-09-2014, 01:35 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Edit, scratch this post...

Old 10-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
im sure the alaska cold will scare you away. it does to 80% of the other people that come up here thinking they can make it.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Skip1970
im sure the alaska cold will scare you away. it does to 80% of the other people that come up here thinking they can make it.
I grew up in Texas and lived through 120 degree summers and made it (barely) through a rainy and icy and snowy and screw you basic training. I could easily make it up there. Plus it's beautiful up there so it's not like it's all bad

Old 10-09-2014, 04:43 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I grew up in Texas
Well that's Skip's favorite place, you two will have a lot in common.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
I grew up in Texas and lived through 120 degree summers and made it (barely) through a rainy and icy and snowy and screw you basic training. I could easily make it up there. Plus it's beautiful up there so it's not like it's all bad

i say come up and prove me wrong. i bet you a 100$ bill youll be heading south before 10 years.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:36 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i say come up and prove me wrong. i bet you a 100$ bill youll be heading south before 10 years.
Skip, that's like 2 cents per day I know that happens to be over your allowance.

I'm sure if you would have offered your 7.3 APOC would be packing

Old 10-09-2014, 06:45 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
I'd be heading south by the end of August.

X3 on drive some locally with the various engines, even if that particular truck isn't the right one.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:54 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Skip, that's like 2 cents per day I know that happens to be over your allowance.

I'm sure if you would have offered your 7.3 APOC would be packing

easy to move lips and type fingers.

Quick Reply: Think I might have found my new truck... thoughts?