1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1954 F250 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:54 PM
Chris71Mach1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man this is a fantastic build thread! Thanks for taking the time to shoot so many pics to document your progress and post them up here. It's really making me miss the 66 F100 I had (and lost) back in the day.

My best recommendation is to find yourself a set of factory service manuals. They may not be easy to find, but it'll be well worth the time and money. Also, collect parts sources like baseball cards. The older the vehicle is that you're working on, the more difficult it'll be to find decent parts for it (though this board is a great place to start).

Keep the pics and posts coming dude, it's been interesting reading this thread so far, and I'm already looking forward to seeing how your new ride turns out.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:00 PM
Jules The Great
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought a copy of the original manual on ebay myself but I'm not sure I would do the same again. For wheels bearings and such it says really vague things like "tighten until you feel resistance" for things like that I actually use my '70s Ford manuals for information. That may just be me though.

For many things I just replace the bolts and or look up the specs for the bolt grade and torque it to that value.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:58 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 783 Likes on 383 Posts
Do you have this manual:
1948-56 Ford Truck Master Parts Catalog CD - HiPo Parts Garage

It is a fantastic resource. You could spend hours looking at the pictures.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:34 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrier
Do you have this manual:
1948-56 Ford Truck Master Parts Catalog CD - HiPo Parts Garage

It is a fantastic resource. You could spend hours looking at the pictures.
Thanks. I ordered it and it just came in the mail today. Great resource. Almost too much information. It's a bit mind-numbing if you try and take it all in at once.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:37 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jules The Great
I bought a copy of the original manual on ebay myself but I'm not sure I would do the same again. For wheels bearings and such it says really vague things like "tighten until you feel resistance" for things like that I actually use my '70s Ford manuals for information. That may just be me though.

For many things I just replace the bolts and or look up the specs for the bolt grade and torque it to that value.
Yeah, service manuals got so much better (precise) by at least the 80s. I remember looking through dad's old GM service manuals that are up in the attic and everything is laid out with numbers and exact terms to make sure the job gets done right. I might just end up getting one of those manuals just for nostalgia, but I guess I better not expect a super resource of helpful information.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:39 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
So one of the problems I've got is that the high beam is out on the drivers side door headlight, not a huge deal since I'm not planning on doing too much night driving, but I do want to get it fixed. The problem I'm having is that I can't find any replacements for a 6 volt that I am sure they'll be the same as the originals. There's a whole bunch of 12v stuff and fancy headlights with markers and LED bulbs and what have you. I just want the original looking headlights. Am I just stuck grabbing some used ones from the junkyard or does anyone sell a good replacement?

Old 11-02-2014, 06:42 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
So as I've mentioned before, Jr has been buying and using Ford trucks on his farm for a long time, and since I got a chance to go down this weekend, I decided I'd take some pictures of the trucks he's got around the farm.

Jr's truck as it sits in his yard. This was the first truck he bought brand new.

This truck was supposed to be super well maintained until he rolled it. The repairs haven't held up, just as jr. predicted.

Just the other side to complete the series. Notice the rear cab corners are rusted out on both sides.

This one is driven more often, but always garaged and washed after EVERY trip out.

Jr's 1974(?) project that he would like to get back together and going someday. Most of the parts are there and it basically just needs to be put together.

Passenger side. This thing has been sitting for a long time.

And everyone's favorite, a Ford V8 powering this thing.
Not pictured is another 1976(?) parts truck my dad never remembers Jr driving around, and a late 90's Ford that doesn't get driven much either, also well maintained and clean. The Green 74 has the best stories attached to it, but probably not as good as the cow jumping over the hood everyone around here seems to love.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:43 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
OK, I have a real question now, has anyone used the fiberglass running boards from Midfifty? Is there anything I should know other than I need the extra metal piece on the bedside? A concern of mine is that fiberglass isn't going to be as strong and might warp over time, and some other issues. I've never worked with fiberglass before in a vehicle, let alone something that's going to have weight on it with people stepping in and out on them. Long box running boards are incredibly hard to find as I've learned. the only ones out I've found reasonably priced are no better than mine, except they might not be cut. I'm also still looking for a 6V headlight.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:16 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,478 Posts
Originally Posted by fladoodle
So one of the problems I've got is that the high beam is out on the drivers side door headlight, not a huge deal since I'm not planning on doing too much night driving, but I do want to get it fixed. The problem I'm having is that I can't find any replacements for a 6 volt that I am sure they'll be the same as the originals. There's a whole bunch of 12v stuff and fancy headlights with markers and LED bulbs and what have you. I just want the original looking headlights. Am I just stuck grabbing some used ones from the junkyard or does anyone sell a good replacement?
I think you can buy 6 volt headlights from NAPA or any other parts house.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:28 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Originally Posted by abe
I think you can buy 6 volt headlights from NAPA or any other parts house.
Thanks. I'll check NAPA as soon as I can.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:24 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Been a while since I've updated. If I haven't been at school, I've been working, so I haven't had too much time to dedicate to the truck. I decided to crack open the engine, take a look at the top end, and pull off the side cover, since it was leaking. Here's what I found.

Nice and clean on the inside! No sludge or mouse nests in here.

Closer view of the rockers

Sandblasted and painted the side cover. Came out a little more orange than I'd hoped, Oh well.

I noticed how flat the steering wheel from the parts truck laid on the table, and then I realized...

It looks nothing like the steering wheel in my truck! A little research shows that this is for a 56-60 truck. Anyone have a 53-55 wheel in good shape they'd want to sell/trade?

Painted the one wheel I'd primed. Went with a satin black. I didn't want glossy, but I also didn't want flat, so I went middle ground.

Went gloss on the inside, mostly because we have a lot of gloss laying around. I wanted to try and stretch the satin out as far as I could

Old 11-27-2014, 10:41 PM
artford54
Freshman User
The 56 column is shorter and made up by the dish. You can make different combos to make it fit YOU better. I've changed my column several times and don't really remember what I'm using. Think it's the short one with the flat steering wheel. But you get the idea!

Old 11-29-2014, 07:43 PM
Elmo4895
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jules The Great
Assuming you are happy with the rest of the wheel once painted.

I think you could run a drill bit thru that hole and maybe go up to the next valve stem size, not sure if they have other sizes but just a thought.
I had a valve stem hole rusted out on my 51 8N. Ground the hole out and formed a regular washer to fit and welded it in, worked fine.
Elmo

Old 12-07-2014, 01:57 AM
fladoodle
Senior User
Originally Posted by artford54
The 56 column is shorter and made up by the dish. You can make different combos to make it fit YOU better. I've changed my column several times and don't really remember what I'm using. Think it's the short one with the flat steering wheel. But you get the idea!
Thanks for the info. I think I've got the long column with the 56 wheel. I really wonder why that is.. I'll probably end up going with the 53-55 wheel If I can find one in decent shape.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:59 AM
fladoodle
Senior User
Originally Posted by Elmo4895
I had a valve stem hole rusted out on my 51 8N. Ground the hole out and formed a regular washer to fit and welded it in, worked fine.
Elmo
The more I'm reading about it the more I'm thinking I should just save the wheel for a spare. I need one that I can mount on that sweet side spare tire carrier, right?

Quick Reply: 1954 F250 Build Thread