2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts
View Poll Results: Should Ford build a 2015 F150-based Bronco?
Yes, it would be a great Expedition replacement
93.38%
No, the Explorer is all Ford needs.
6.62%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week: Should Ford build an F150-based Bronco?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 07:24 PM
jntibs
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A 2 door SUV? There's a reason it was discontinued in the first place. Nobody who wants a SUV wants 2 doors, hence the Expedition exists.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:52 PM
jswford
Mountain Pass
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jntibs
A 2 door SUV? There's a reason it was discontinued in the first place. Nobody who wants a SUV wants 2 doors, hence the Expedition exists.
not sure how you came to that conclusion. i see an awful lot of toyota fj cruisers around here. I'd love to have another bronco.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:10 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by jntibs
The Tahoe evolved into a four door model before the Expy rolled off the lines. Ford took advantage of a growing SUV segment, a strong economy and a complete F-150 design change to introduce the Expy. It worked for well over a decade.

Having an F-150 based SUV has done noting to control prices, Ford and all the others will charge what the market will stand. It is / was afterall a cash cow.

I can't see a Bronco cutting into Jeep sales but Ford's own sales from other SUV's, much like the FJ Cruiser did with Toyota. Jeep's aftermarket sales are perhaps more robust than any other nameplate out there. Nothing that Ford builds is an effective rock crawler, trail runner and DD all the same time.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:30 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Ford could do well with a Bronco, market it as a "limited" production vehicle much as they did with the Raptor, a lot of folks said the a "Baja" type truck would never sell also.....

Old 09-29-2014, 07:11 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Should they? YES..... Will they? Not a chance in hell.

There is just not enough market for 2 door SUV these days. Everyone wants a 4 door. Just like pickup. How may reg cabs do you see anymore?

I would buy a bronco tomorrow if they offered it. But I am a mid 30s guy who has no kids. Lets face it, there are not many like me.

Even jeeps anymore. You see more 4 doors than 2 doors. As for the FJ, I see more 96 and older bronco here in the rust belt than I see those FUGLY FJ things

Old 09-29-2014, 07:40 PM
jntibs
Junior User
Originally Posted by jswford

not sure how you came to that conclusion. i see an awful lot of toyota fj cruisers around here. I'd love to have another bronco.
Not here in Wisconsin. FJ cruisers are non - existent. Jeeps are far and few between nowadays too.

More so now than ever people want a do it all vehicle, tow, play, haul family, grocery getter, etc. That's why Supercrew F150's are so popular right now. Few people can swing owning multiple vehicles to serve different purposes.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:20 AM
2015er
Junior User
At some point either Ford or GM is going to notice that Chrysler's Jeep division is making a ton, and I mean a ton of $ right now. Sale increases for the Wranglers are off the charts and there is no sign of it letting up. They have a monopoly on the market segment right now as they're also free of any competition.

A Bronco in an off road sense of the word - may be modeled after the Troller TR-X might do it.

But from what I have read the Ford upper management brass is apparently not interested in making a profit as they see no market for such a vehicle here in the states. They might want to share that sentiment with the management at Jeep - may be they'll run into them as the Jeep people as they run to the bank to deposit the sales $ from the Wrangler that has no market here in the states.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:51 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
If it could be competitive to the Jeep Wrangler then yes they should do it. They are a great SUV for trails where a truck is just too long to navigate through. A V8 option would be nice (5.0L) and just a straight up no turbo V6 will work as the economy option. I do recall there being a couple companies that did make a 4 door Bronco but having both a 2 door and 4 door option would be nice.

If Chrysler was smart they would put that Ecodiesel where it needs to be...in the Jeep Wrangler...low end torque off road is what people desire. Only decent gas engines that fit the bill was the old 300 I6 and 4.0L AMC I6 that got killed about 10 years ago.

The Bronco might however if Ford ever brings back the Raptor, might tear into those sales, if they are nearly built identical...similar suspension and ride height.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
I think the thing you guys forget is that jeep has a huge cult following. Most people that buy a jeep wouldn't buy anything else.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:17 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you take a 72 302 powered Bronco and hook bumpers with a 72 304 powered jeep and pull that jeep all over the woods the jeep cultsters would jump ship like rats leaving a sinking ship.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:48 PM
Sunshadow
Freshman User
Originally Posted by gatorfor88
If you take a 72 302 powered Bronco and hook bumpers with a 72 304 powered jeep and pull that jeep all over the woods the jeep cultsters would jump ship like rats leaving a sinking ship.

Jeeps are slow!
Sometimes it takes five hours to only go six miles.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:57 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunshadow
Jeeps are slow!
Sometimes it takes five hours to only go six miles.

You take an early bronco and make that trip in only 2.5 hours. And with the dealer installed ac running.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:03 PM
bowser
Mountain Pass
I don't like the poll options either. I'm a mid 30's guy with two kids and I would beg, borrow or steal to get a Bronco if it showed up looking like that photochop. Auto/Lock hubs like the SD line, manual transfer case, weatherproof upholstery and a rubber floor for me please. I prefer utilitarian much more than full luxury.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:27 PM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bowser
I don't like the poll options either. I'm a mid 30's guy with two kids and I would beg, borrow or steal to get a Bronco if it showed up looking like that photochop. Auto/Lock hubs like the SD line, manual transfer case, weatherproof upholstery and a rubber floor for me please. I prefer utilitarian much more than full luxury.
That would be the key. To get market penetration, the vehicle would have to be priced so that those with families/other vehicles could afford to have another vehicle. Especially one that would be a luxury item (no pun intended) for many that want one. Keep it simple and capable.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:43 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYiT
That would be the key. To get market penetration, the vehicle would have to be priced so that those with families/other vehicles could afford to have another vehicle. Especially one that would be a luxury item (no pun intended) for many that want one. Keep it simple and capable.
Kind of what I mentioned in my earlier post. This NEW Bronco will be for the empty nest buyer.

FORD EX.

ROCKCRAWLER.com - News Shorts: Ford EX Concept

Quick Reply: Question of the Week: Should Ford build an F150-based Bronco?