Old 09-24-2014, 10:50 AM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Received 214 Likes on 161 Posts
79 f150 4x4 suspension questions

As subject states.
I'm trying to understand what I need/could do to the truck to make it "better"
Short version:
I bought too small of a truck for what I need and I'm overworking it.

Long version:
What I mean by this is.
The f150 4x4 (3" lift 31's)460/4 spd with air shocks on it from the previous owner.
Nothing wrong with the shocks, but I feel the PO installed them to increase the load they could haul. Which I know you shouldn't do..
Now that I have a few heavy loads of firewood hauled with it, I think it could be better.
When the truck is loaded; like most overloaded trucks, the back sags and the front lifts.
The leaf springs may be shot, I don't know for sure. Not sure how to
tell really. I think the air shocks hide that issue? No leafs appear broken though that much I can see.
I'm wondering could f250 leaf springs fit under her? Or a better option?
I'm not sure if the lift limits the options or not? Stick with the f150 leafs and add a helper? (cheap options are better)

It's not that I want to make a 1/2 ton a 3/4 ton. I was hoping the
extra stiffness of the 3/4 ton springs would help with the heavy loads of
firewood. Keep it a little more level and overall just handle a little better.
Would they increase rear end hop though when empty? I don't get much of that now.

Right now the truck has a nice stance to it. Rides down the road nice.
The back sits a little higher but that's due to the shocks air pressure.
The shocks were at 100 psi when I bought the truck and I just leave it there. It rides ok and raising the pressure wouldn't solve anything anyway.
In hindsight I realize I should have looked/waited longer and bought an f250 instead..
BUT maybe there is a solution and one that won't involve getting an f250 , not that I'm not looking
Firewood is the heaviest item I haul with the truck. Usually it's 4-8' logs that have been down on the ground for a while and piled to the top of the bed. It's not the only thing the truck is used for but it's the primary job of the truck.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:10 AM
77&79F250
Received 3,348 Likes on 2,490 Posts
As far as will F250 springs fit, get a tape measure and go to a JY and look, sorry I do not know the length and am not near my truck.

Have you inspected your bump stops? Have you looked into longer ones?

You can get a set of aftermarket over load springs (for the top) and it should come with the frame brackets. Fairly cheap?

That will not lift it, but help you as far as the settling of the main springs when you load it.

Air bag over loads $$ A single Add-a leaf leaf spring will lift it 1 to 1 1/2"...

I have no experience with the clamp on aftermarket type. Just showing you what's out there.

The front end lifting is common for a overloaded truck, I bet it gets real sketchy steering and stopping right?

Attached Images        
Old 09-24-2014, 02:23 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
steering and stopping is acceptable. The front gets the float feeling.
I'm not looking to lift it, just haul a load somewhat better if possible than it is now.
Dang 3" lift on it is enough to kill me now when loading it.
Air bags are way out of the question..
Have not looked into longer bump stops.
I just assumed all leaf springs would fit, just different capacities.
Looking on truckspring I see they offer several leafs each with a different capacity.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:33 PM
77&79F250
Well as long as you get them from a 77.5 to 79 they will be 3" wide. And should fit your F150 spring pads, blocks and u bolts.

I bet a set of those clamp on top over loads might just do it for you and nor break the bank?

Old 09-24-2014, 03:58 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Rich off hand, do you know what the stock leaf spring capacities are for the 73-79 f150's?
Truckspring shows several OEM ones with varying capacities. 1650 > 2400
2400 seems like it would be plenty for my intentions. (need to buy that parts cd)
I'm surprised actually to see those available, just assumed there was only 1 set and they were the 1,650# ones.
I don't think a load of hardwood I haul is more than 2400 pounds but I never weighed it. I'm sure it's close though.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:07 AM
77&79F250
Sorry I do not, I am like most folks, just do not worry about it, load it till its on the bump stops and then put a little bit more on. Yea not a good way to do things, but sometimes you have to do what ever to the job done.

Of course both my F250's have overloads that look stock. Here are some #'s for you, see the rear spring info, but its all 1/2 ton stuff....

1973 - 1979 F100 / F150 Leaf Springs

And I only thought that the rear springs were either 2 1/4 for HB's and 3" wide for the rest (77.5 -79) do not know where the 2 1/2 wide came from, maybe 2wd's have them?

Those on the truckspring site look like a pretty good price, if the F250 one will fit length wise, get'm and don't worry about a heavy load anymore, course it will ride like a lumber wagon empty.

If you get new and the same capacity ones you could be back in the same position you are now. I would suggest ditching the air shocks and go with regular shocks. That would be a cheap and easy route.

Maybe look into some clamp on the axle, coil spring over loads? Or some coil spring over load shocks?

Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2014, 01:11 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for the insight. Trucksprings was just one of the places that came up in the search. Their prices are good though after looking at other pricing.
From what I can see an f250 leaf spring looks exactly the same (3").
I agree with you about getting the same part again.
Definitely want to avoid that which was why I am curious what the stock leaf spring capacity was on the f150.
Either way, I'm sure mine are worn out and getting the 2400# leaves have to be better. If it still isn't helping I will look into helpers.
The air shocks will be going. More important things still needing done before I get to them.
I thought my truck had bump stops but I guess not.
Might be part of the reason.. This pic embarrasses me.
Best one I could get without taking a wheel off.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:28 PM
77&79F250
No need to be embarrassed, its a hard working Ford truck with some mud and plenty of tread on the tires.

Bump stop should be above and inline with the ear coming off the inside of the block and riveted to the frame. Sorry do not have a better pic, but I am looking.

And that piece of metal under that spring clamp is odd, only because I ever see that before.

Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2014, 03:13 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
I am pretty much a newb when it comes to what is correct and what isn't with suspensions.

That piece of metal circled in red? It looked right to me so I never even questioned it. It is welded to the bolt carrier so I didn't question it.
I don't know if it helps but here is a shot of the other side.

For some reason it appears they just removed the bumpstops completely.
So that is new to me and I'll be looking to add them back.
Unless their is a reason they removed them for the lift? I have no clue.
I haven't washed the mud off yet because I'm heading back into it this weekend again. I'll get a pic of the truck loaded down.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:50 PM
77&79F250
Well we all learn every day...I just have never seen those plates before. I would say they are not stock.

In the first pic I think I can see something that was there (whats left of a mount?) right in the curve of the frame?

And looking at the second pic, I would say yes your passenger side frame mounted bump stops are gone.

And in the second pic, all the gaps in between the rear part of your leaf springs is far from normal.

I would go to a Jy and look at what might be more of a normal set up. See it you can spot that same set up in 2 or 3 1/2 ton trucks. I ben you will not see the splate, the gaps in the leafs.

Hang in there and read, learn and apply. Again don't sweat the mud, it a working Ford.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:17 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Would you know what size bumpstops should I look into buying? I see different sizes.
3" , 4 1/2"
Preliminary reading; I need the 3" bumps. (3" lift makes sense I guess)
Heres a pic loaded and than unloaded.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:55 AM
77&79F250
Yes you are working that ol girl. You need to find out what is "bottoming" out and stopping the truck from settling any farther? Is it the air shocks are bottomed out? Or it that it as far as the load or being loaded?

Ideally you want to bump stops to contact first, before the shocks bottom out.

Side not: to help shift the wight fwd, load any extra short logs closer to the back of the cab. Caution great way to loose a back window without a headache rack. But that will get the front end back down a bit.

The bump stop function is to stop the suspension of the truck from being compressed past it designed limit. When heavily loaded the ear sticking off the rear axle block should contact the bump stop coming off the frame.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:36 AM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Not many short logs in the pile

I do attempt to get as much weight forward. Don't want a broken rear window like you mentioned. I don't always get short logs though.
8/4 ft poles sometimes like here with some small stuff.
Nothing appeared bottomed out. Shocks still had something it felt like.
Meaning I can feel some bounce.
Very close to rubbing though but no rub/hit marks to be seen if it was hitting something when it bottomed.
I realize the bump stops probably won't help much with this; but since the truck don't have them.
It can't hurt to put them back until I can get new springs.
Working on a trade with a friend, so he can weld up a headache rack as well. In the meantime, it doesn't need loaded that high anyway.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:59 AM
77&79F250
I still think regular shocks would handle the load better?

Old 09-29-2014, 11:09 AM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
I still think regular shocks would handle the load better?
Probably. so you think new shocks and bump stops?
See how it handles a load, and figure it out from there if I need to add new leaves and helpers?

Quick Reply: 79 f150 4x4 suspension questions