1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Swap newer efi windsor into 1980 f150 questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 04:24 PM
mcd177
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swap newer efi windsor into 1980 f150 questions

Good day all. First time poster. Thank you. lol

I've been searching but unable to find direct answers. I'm surprised I haven't found the info i need or someone who has done this swap.

I have a 1980 f150 ranger that I'm rather fond of. What I'm not fond of is getting up early to start my truck in the cold Alberta winters here.

The 1977 351m motor that is currently installed is almost fully dead. Its hemorrhaging oil at an alarming rate from the main rear bearing and it puffs so much smoke it's almost impressive.

I would like to replace the engine with a fuel injected motor so I can install a remote starter. Something from a early 90's f150. a 5.0 or 5.8. Just for the fuel injection. I know they are different transmission with the bell housing etc. The windsors seem to be a dime a dozen so I would think it should be a cheap swap. Keeping that in mind it should also be noted that I don't care to spend a lot. Nothing would be better. Other wise i would just buy a new truck. But I like the look of this one.

My question real is the engine mounts. If I just get the different mounts will the motor bolt right in.
Actually it is a 4x4 ( c6/np208 ) What else should I consider with the 4x4 and drive shaft. Where can I find the info to match up the splines etc...

What other things should I consider. Is it even a good idea. Should I just buy a truck and change the body over instead. That might be easier.

It's just a basic get my butt to work truck. It does not need anything fancy. I want it to stay an automatic with the 4x4.

Thanks all.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:37 PM
86fn150
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm right in the middle of swapping a 95 351 in my 86 351.using 95 engine mounts(better shape and captured design).watch as the main hold down nuts are metric on new ones vs std on older.I'm using a ford racing hotrod harness.
the c6 with my 351w is the same flywheel as my 95 .the easiest way is a something like msds kit but $3000.I wanted a ford setup so i am more familiar with it and get parts easier.ran the harness and now staring at wiring diagrams to mate stuff up.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:03 PM
mcd177
New User
Originally Posted by 86fn150
i'm right in the middle of swapping a 95 351 in my 86 351.using 85 engine mounts(better shape and captured design).watch as the main hold down nuts are metric on new ones vs std on older.I'm using a ford racing hotrod harness.
the c6 is the same flywheel as my 95 .the easiest way is a something like msds kit but $3000.I wanted a ford setup so i am more familiar with it and get parts easier.ran the harness and now staring at wiring diagrams to mate stuff up.
Nice. So you bolted in a 95 windsor block then into an 86. Is that using windsor motor mounts then. How did you get the c6 to bolt up. It's a different bell housing is it not ?

What about the e40d. If I got a rusted out truck with a good drive line including the 351w with the e40d. Would I just need the transmission mount or will it be a pain connecting it tot he 4x4 and drive shaft etc...

Other wise to save cost a 351w/c6 is doable then ??????

Old 09-19-2014, 05:12 PM
mcd177
New User
I should ask is are the windsors from the 90's the same as the 60's and 70's just with fuel injection. "Essentially" Same engine mount locations? If I just kept the c6 would a 90's windsor bolt right in with mounts.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
If you have a 351m right now, a 351w will not bolt up to your tranny. You need a new tranny.

A lot of work and wiring to not have to got out and warm the truck up. I would get a newer truck. Your old truck is what it is. You will have to change out the whole fuel system, tanks and all. And then you have all that wiring to mess with, and it's pretty old already. Unless you embrace the EECIV fuel injection system and know it inside and out, I don't see it working out. I don't think you can just move the wiring and the engine from one truck to the other without some diagrams and head scratching. That's even if you get another tranny.

If you did get another tranny, you certainly can put the 351w in place. Pull the efi stuff off and put a carb on it. I have done this before and it's not too bad. But of course you do still have to outside to a cold truck.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:20 AM
mcd177
New User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
If you have a 351m right now, a 351w will not bolt up to your tranny. You need a new tranny.

A lot of work and wiring to not have to got out and warm the truck up. I would get a newer truck. Your old truck is what it is. You will have to change out the whole fuel system, tanks and all. And then you have all that wiring to mess with, and it's pretty old already. Unless you embrace the EECIV fuel injection system and know it inside and out, I don't see it working out. I don't think you can just move the wiring and the engine from one truck to the other without some diagrams and head scratching. That's even if you get another tranny.

If you did get another tranny, you certainly can put the 351w in place. Pull the efi stuff off and put a carb on it. I have done this before and it's not too bad. But of course you do still have to outside to a cold truck.

Hmmm Thank you for your opinion. I wasn't really thinking of the fuel system. The tank I mean. I'm pretty good with wiring but still I can just imagine all that head scratching. I think you maybe right. A newer truck. I just really like that bull nose look. I guess i could suffer another winter. I just like to sleep till the last minute. lol. Maybe if I didn't work so much.

Thanks again.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:59 AM
Ranger80
Senior User
It's also a pain to run the wiring for the computer, there's also no holes in the firewall to run it before '83 or '84 models. You could always buy a newer EFI truck and make it a Bullnose, like I did...

Old 09-20-2014, 09:44 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Swapping a carbed 351W in place of a 351M would require a different trans, as you already stated. I believe the frame stands are the same for both the M & W, but the engine portion of the mounts are different. Rad hoses may need to be changed, as they may not fit quite right. The wiring would be the same, though the oil and temp senders are in different locations on these 2 engine families.
That is the simple way to go.
Swapping an EFI system in would require a lot more effort, as mentioned previously.
However, there is another option, but not cheap. There are several EFI conversion kits available that are essentially an "all in 1" unit, that bolts down in place of a carb, on most any square bore 4 bbl intake manifold. These are MUCH easier to hook up, compared to using the factory EFI from the 80's/early 90's. They are designed for use in vehicles that were built long before EFI came along, so adding the kit to a carbed vehicle is quite simple, as that is what it was designed to do.

I have never used any of these setups, but I am curious about them. No clue how well they will hold up in the long run, but at least converting back to a carb would be about as easy as it is to install it, should the unit ever fail to work properly.
Plus, it should be relatively easy to hook up a system like this, to your remote start idea...... Aside from the initial cost of the unit.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:06 PM
Ranger80
Senior User
Now this is a trick on AMC engines I've seen done, to stay on the cheap side is use a Chevy TBI unit. Apparently they're easier to work with than Ford's CFI, and all it requires is an adapter plate to bolt to a 2bbl intake and the o2 sensor has to be installed. I don't remember the specifics, but you may do some research. It's popular with Jeeps.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:38 PM
mcd177
New User
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
Swapping a carbed 351W in place of a 351M would require a different trans, as you already stated. I believe the frame stands are the same for both the M & W, but the engine portion of the mounts are different. Rad hoses may need to be changed, as they may not fit quite right. The wiring would be the same, though the oil and temp senders are in different locations on these 2 engine families.
That is the simple way to go.
Swapping an EFI system in would require a lot more effort, as mentioned previously.
However, there is another option, but not cheap. There are several EFI conversion kits available that are essentially an "all in 1" unit, that bolts down in place of a carb, on most any square bore 4 bbl intake manifold. These are MUCH easier to hook up, compared to using the factory EFI from the 80's/early 90's. They are designed for use in vehicles that were built long before EFI came along, so adding the kit to a carbed vehicle is quite simple, as that is what it was designed to do.

I have never used any of these setups, but I am curious about them. No clue how well they will hold up in the long run, but at least converting back to a carb would be about as easy as it is to install it, should the unit ever fail to work properly.
Plus, it should be relatively easy to hook up a system like this, to your remote start idea...... Aside from the initial cost of the unit.

I agree. The aftermarket fuel injection seem like they would be a great option. It's just the price. The cheapest I've ever seen is $2000 plus. and I still need to rebuild a motor then. And that's just to get started I think. Thanks for the insite though. It is good to hear another confirmation on the mounting portion of the engine and transmission type required.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:39 PM
mcd177
New User
Originally Posted by Ranger80
It's also a pain to run the wiring for the computer, there's also no holes in the firewall to run it before '83 or '84 models. You could always buy a newer EFI truck and make it a Bullnose, like I did...
That seems like it might be a good option. What year motor and frame did you swap to?

Old 09-20-2014, 03:40 PM
mcd177
New User
Originally Posted by Ranger80
Now this is a trick on AMC engines I've seen done, to stay on the cheap side is use a Chevy TBI unit. Apparently they're easier to work with than Ford's CFI, and all it requires is an adapter plate to bolt to a 2bbl intake and the o2 sensor has to be installed. I don't remember the specifics, but you may do some research. It's popular with Jeeps.
That is interesting. Hmmm I will research that. Thank you.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:10 PM
Ranger80
Senior User
Originally Posted by mcd177

That seems like it might be a good option. What year motor and frame did you swap to?
I started with a '92 SuperCab and swapped a Bullnose front clip on. It's the one in my sig pic, though it is currently far from finished.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:49 PM
firegod33
Senior User
I have the GM TBI on my Jeep and love it. The kit was emissions legal from Howell Engine Development and ran me a little under $1300. That said, the Ford EFI isn't all that hard to work with. It is a very popular swap with the Jeep guys, as well. The wiring is the hard part, so if you're good with wiring, you'd be golden. If your current engine is on it's last leg, spending the money on injecting it is just throwing good money after bad.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:56 PM
firegod33
Senior User

Quick Reply: Swap newer efi windsor into 1980 f150 questions