Sponsored by:

Thanks to all...and opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 08:17 PM
Telsmith
Cross-Country
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks to all...and opinions please

Here's how she stood before I found this forum.

Here's how she stood after V/Mod B with stock rims and tires.

And here she is with the '04 SD 18's with 275/70 Goodyear Adventures.
Thanks to all on the forum, without you this Ex would have never reached it's full potential. Everthing about how it drives and rides is vastly improved over stock, but...

When measuring from the top of the wheel to the top of the Wheel well, I have 2" more in the rear than in the front. It looks to me if I lowered the back to even the measurements out, the front would appear high... has anyone come across this or should I put the Octoberfest down and look more closely at it tomorrow?

Old 09-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks to have only a little bit more rake than stock. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it, the springs need some time to break in and settle. Mine looked the same as a yours and after a month or so it sat level. Considering the springs are for a SD pickup, it's not abnormal. Hell, almost every vehicle out there settles a bit once the springs have some miles on them. All my Jeeps would end up 1.5-2" higher than the lift was supposed to be, and after a few trail rides (and jumps) they settled down to the advertised height. Theoretically you could hitch a weighted down trailer up to it a few times to speed up the settling - after towing a few old classic land yahts around for a collector friend mine was good to go.

Truck looks great btw, love the 08 rims and the twins up front look pretty damn sharp.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:47 PM
greg807
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I prefer the the front slightly lower, I firmly believe it makes it handle and ride better; although, most will tell you that level or slightly higher in the front looks better. On my 2002 I have 2 inch hangers and shackles on the front with the V/Mod B and the front is about 1 inch too high IMO, it runs and rides good, but I firmly believe if the front was slightly lower than the rear, there would be less steering wander. Sorry I don't have any straight on side pictures. Your Factory 18's look great, still looking for a set.

2002 Before V/Mod B Code with 33.5 inch P 275/65R20

2002 After V/ModB with 2 inch hangers and shackles

2000 With Pro Comp Leaf Springs - Front 2+ inches higher than rear - Rode Awful

Old 09-18-2014, 10:41 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Telsmith
When measuring from the top of the wheel to the top of the Wheel well, I have 2" more in the rear than in the front. It looks to me if I lowered the back to even the measurements out, the front would appear high.
Truly I say, I do NOT mean to come across as an azz, so if I do, I'll apologize, but why in the heck would you want to lower the back-end to be even with the front?

Isn't the front-to-back rake more eye appealing to you?

Also, just for clarity sake, and this has nothing to do with your question, but measurements should be taken from the middle of the hub to the top of the wheel well lip, not the top of the wheel.

has anyone come across this...
That's rake is basically how almost all 4x4 Excursion sit (meaning front-to-back), whether stock or modded with the F250 springs. If you did the V code/B code upgrade, I would assume you read about the mod and should know this, no?

Stewart

Old 09-18-2014, 11:09 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You can take the measurement from the top of the wheel, hub to fenderwell, or ground to fenderwell, it makes no difference. It is easiest for me to take it from ground to fenderwell but it has to be on LEVEL ground. Mine measures 39" within 1/4" all around and it sits level.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:16 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Telsmith

When measuring from the top of the wheel to the top of the Wheel well, I have 2" more in the rear than in the front. It looks to me if I lowered the back to even the measurements out, the front would appear high... has anyone come across this or should I put the Octoberfest down and look more closely at it tomorrow?
You've been drinking for 11 months straight, get hold of yourself.

If you want the front higher than the rear you are going for the "pre-runner" look, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:23 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by EXv10
You can take the measurement from the top of the wheel, hub to fenderwell, or ground to fenderwell, it makes no difference.
Yes it does.

It is easiest for me to take it from ground to fenderwell but it has to be on LEVEL ground. Mine measures 39" within 1/4" all around and it sits level.
Do it however you want, Brent, but don't give bad info to another user.

To the OP, don't listen to EXv10's post. Measuring from the middle of the wheel hub to the top of the wheel well eliminates any other factor affecting the measurement, which will allow you to compare your measurements to anyone else who has done suspension mods, and the size of your tire/wheel combination versus their tire/wheel combination won't become a factor.

Stewart

Old 09-18-2014, 11:29 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by mecdac
If you want the front higher than the rear you are going for the "pre-runner" look, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Stewart

Old 09-19-2014, 03:17 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I think the OP's Excursion looks just fine. That tiny bit of rake is how they are supposed to look.

my 2002 is about Dead Level front and back and there are many times that I've sat there and thought to myself "I need to get F-350 blocks" so I can get that extra 1-2" of rake.

Besides, if you are pointing downhill, you are going to go faster. right?

Old 09-19-2014, 03:22 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
you got me curious so I went out and measured per Stewarts instructions. weird part is that my neighbors don't even blink an eye when they see me tinkering with my truck at 10 PM.

center of hub to fender - all 4 corners - 26"

so yes she does sit dead level. I really do need to get some F-350 blocks

Old 09-19-2014, 06:12 AM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Without a rake from front to back the rain/snow won't fall/run/slide off

Old 09-19-2014, 06:29 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Great, now i have to get my windows tinted. The black wheels still have me thinking as well.

These are some great looking trucks guys!

Old 09-19-2014, 08:13 AM
Telsmith
Cross-Country
Exactly why I posted, when I get home I'll measure from the center of the wheel up...genius.

I love how it looks, exactly what I was going for. Stance is perfect. Just one thing I noticed and thought I would ask. I didn't really remember or pay attention to the fine details of the completed stance when reaserching the swap because I didn't really care too much what it looked like, but wanted the horrible handling fixed.
I'm not doing anything else to her...suspension wise anyway.

My neighbors are the same way when they see me on the driveway with the Ex on jackstands they come over for a beer to see what "we're" doing to the Ex next.

Again thanks to all...this forum is truly a great resource.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:18 AM
Telsmith
Cross-Country
Interesting...looks like I lost a vent visor. Never noticed that until I looked at my pics.
Will someone here tell my wife in order to fix that properly, a Cummins MUST be installed...

Old 09-19-2014, 10:18 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mecdac
You've been drinking for 11 months straight, get hold of yourself.

It's the A gasser look

Quick Reply: Thanks to all...and opinions please