1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Saving a 1982 F100 from being junked - Semi-Restore - pic heavy

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 09:51 PM
silar
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RL250
With that breather, I think the Spectra PCV would also be a nice upgrade. It's about the same size and high chrome. Just a suggestion.
That Spectre does look good. I got the breather since it is a screw on to work with that valve cover...

Old 09-15-2014, 09:54 PM
silar
Elder User
Here's better pics of what the valve covers, intake manifold, and carb looked like... Lots of algae or something all over... just like the outside of the truck.. I had my work cut out for me didn't I?!?!

Old 09-15-2014, 09:57 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
You can PC the carb, by the way. I've done both Holleys and Edelbrocks. Just make sure you protect the air bleeds and don't PC the "innards".

Old 09-15-2014, 10:00 PM
silar
Elder User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
You can PC the carb, by the way. I've done both Holleys and Edelbrocks. Just make sure you protect the air bleeds and don't PC the "innards".
I thought about it, but I've got roughly a week before I want to have this truck running again.. No real reason.. More of a personal goal...

I may PC the carb and quite a few other things when I pull the engine at the 1st of the year..

I still have the intake and a few brackets, etc to PC...

Old 09-15-2014, 10:07 PM
RL250
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by silar
That Spectre does look good. I got the breather since it is a screw on to work with that valve cover...
Should be a drop in replacement too. I had to go that route after my valve cover swap with Shaun (Fordzilla). The chrome ones he had were push on for both.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:01 PM
silar
Elder User
Going to be powder coating the intake either clear or black. Not sure yet which way I want to go...

Any suggestions?

Old 09-16-2014, 04:05 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I've done several in clear and it has worked well. BUT, you have to get the thing blasted very, very clean or you'll be preserving a non-uniform look. And I've not been able to get some used manifolds as clean or uniform as I want. So in those cases I go for Eastwood's Blasted Aluminum to cover up the thing and give the uniform look.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:14 PM
silar
Elder User
I've done several in clear and it has worked well. BUT, you have to get the thing blasted very, very clean or you'll be preserving a non-uniform look. And I've not been able to get some used manifolds as clean or uniform as I want. So in those cases I go for Eastwood's Blasted Aluminum to cover up the thing and give the uniform look.
Thanks Gary.. I ended up powder coating it clear. I got it fairly good and clean. There's a few little spots that I couldn't for the life of me get cleaned up enough, but honestly, it'll do for me. Looks pretty good and I don't have to worry about it oxidizing. Kinda has that aluminum look I was going for. Seems like the clear gloss darkened it up.

I tried something I kinda wish I hadn't. It looks okay but I messed up in a couple spots. I took a black sharpie and colored in the 'Edelbrock' name, then powder coated over that. The black is really good black, but kinda wished I'd left it bare. I may re-do this again after the 1st of the year..

I still need to clean and level the mating surfaces. I didn't sandblast or powdercoat those...

Old 09-16-2014, 07:17 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Actually, I think it looks pretty good. Not sure why there's a need to take the lettering off.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:38 PM
silar
Elder User
Actually, I think it looks pretty good. Not sure why there's a need to take the lettering off.
I guess it's because I didn't do the 'Performer RPM'. Kinda wished I had or left everything along.. One or the other. Looks a little hokey only having the 'Edelbrock' in black.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:53 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
You could still hit the Performer with gloss black paint and make it match pretty well. You do know how hard it is to get powder off - right?

Old 09-16-2014, 08:21 PM
silar
Elder User
You could still hit the Performer with gloss black paint and make it match pretty well. You do know how hard it is to get powder off - right?
Exactly.. I'll probably do that.. It's ridiculous to remove powdercoat..

Old 09-19-2014, 02:01 AM
nytling92
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If I was going to do that I would have done the same thing. Don't out guess yourself, it looks good that way. The Edelbrock is all that needs to be highlighted, sometimes you can get gotty(spell) by over doing it. That is clean, I would leave it like it is.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:04 AM
RL250
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by nytling92
If I was going to do that I would have done the same thing. Don't out guess yourself, it looks good that way. The Edelbrock is all that needs to be highlighted, sometimes you can get gotty(spell) by over doing it. That is clean, I would leave it like it is.
Gaudy, I think. And I agree. Looks fine with just Eddy black.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:27 AM
Brad from Oz
Elder User
Brad - So, Aussies don't "emit"? Or, it is just that the 335 Series engines themselves don't?
we are lucky enough to be about 10 years behind the US and Europe with our emissions regs, our clevos had very little in the way of emissions controls, hence why you guys love the "Aussie" heads.
Mine only has the crankcase evacuation now because due to the gas conversion anything else can be chucked in the round filing cabinet.

Quick Reply: Saving a 1982 F100 from being junked - Semi-Restore - pic heavy