1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GVWR Questions on F-350

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 09:14 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BruteFord
I dream of a B-train RV

I agree, that would be something to see, or even one of those double decker newer buses (not the old London ones)

David

Old 09-14-2014, 09:51 PM
SMLWinds
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks again guys!

Someone please tell me about tire weights. Am I going to have issues getting tires that will haul the excavator? I haven't looked into anything regarding tires yet. I assume that since the truck is rated to haul 15900 that there are tires out there that can handle that load--it that flawed logic?

I went through the ability of the truck to tow the load in another thread I started a few weeks ago. I do understand that a DRW would avoid all my questions and issues about towing but to be honest, I'll only be towing an excavator probably 3 or 4 times a year. So, I didn't see the need in going to a DRW for what will amount to 2% of my use if I could get by on those rare occasions with a SRW and then I have a more useful truck the 98% of the time that I am not hauling.

However, if someone thinks my truck technically will not tow the excavator even the rare times I need it to be done please let me know. But, I would rather stick with the standard bed and narrowed wheel base of the SRW provided it can do the towing job when occasionally called upon. Thanks!

Old 09-14-2014, 10:06 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by SMLWinds
Thanks again guys!

Someone please tell me about tire weights. Am I going to have issues getting tires that will haul the excavator? I haven't looked into anything regarding tires yet. I assume that since the truck is rated to haul 15900 that there are tires out there that can handle that load--it that flawed logic?

Your truck in NOT rated to haul 15900 pounds. Not even close to that. It is, or may be rated to TOW up to (please note that NO truck except for the lightest stripped trucks will be rated to tow the maximum amount, having more doors, 4wd, a diesel, etc only takes away from the GCWR) that much. Easy number crunching here, if your loaded 4 door 4wd truck weighs a 1000 pounds more than a stripped 2wd regular cab, then that is a thousand pounds right off the top of the GCWR! Which means that it will tow a trailer a 1000 pounds less that the other truck to stay within the same GCWR.

Hauling means that is weight that is carried on the truck axles, and no, no light duty truck size tires are rated to carry anywhere near that much load.

If you are only towing a few times a year, why not forget about if the truck will toe the excavator and rent a truck for those few times you need one, and then get a more comfortable truck to drive the other 98% of the time?

But either way you go, none of the SRW trucks (except for maybe a stripped two wheel drive, regular cab truck, but not a nicely equipped 4wd diesel crewcab, which, given first hand experience with our truck fleet will be closer to 8k rather than 7k) are going to be able to properly and legally handle a reasonable people / equipment load in the truck and the hitch weight at 15-20%. You are going to run out of tire capacity before that. None of can help you with that, it is just adding up the numbers and that is black and white.

Which is why ALL tow ratings are made with this disclaimer - WILL TOW UP TO - NOT WILL TOW THIS MUCH.

David

Old 09-14-2014, 10:23 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It will come with tires able to handle the 11400, and whatever the RAWR is, again this is something you'll need to look up from Ford.

Late Edit
I should add, it's not uncommon for the RAWR to be just the tire rating times 2, IDK how true this is for the new trucks, but it certainly is for mine. My RAWR is 6400, twice the 3200 that each stock tire was rated for. Does this mean that since Sterling(the axle maker) rates the axle higher(8000 IIRC), and cause I now have tires rated at 4000 that my new RAWR is 8000, technically no, functionally I say yes.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:16 PM
SMLWinds
Junior User
My apologies since I used "haul" instead of "tow." You are correct, my truck with TOW 15900, not HAUL that much.

With that being said, do you disagree that the truck can comfortably tow 15900? You do raise a valid point that 4x4, diesel, crew cab, etc. do take away from the towing capacity. However, all that is factored into the 15900 already. If you look at the 2015 Super Duty Towing Capacity Chart (google it and you will find it) a SRW, 4x2, regular cab diesel will tow 16600. If you go to a Supercab it drops to 16300, and a crew cab is 15900. On the chart, it breaks everything down by engine type, model truck, SRW vs. DRW, cab type, etc.

Thus, I would tend to think that 15900 is in fact the towing capacity it is meant to tow. Does anyone disagree with this?

Old 09-15-2014, 07:34 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...75097201,d.eXY

the technical spec section has the towing capacities.

check the payload weight as your 5th wheel tounge weight can not exceed that.

if you question is are these numbers believeable....I would say the tow numbers are moreso than the payload weight. truck will drop to the bumper stops long before max payload is reached.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:42 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It will come with tires able to handle the 11400, and whatever the RAWR is, again this is something you'll need to look up from Ford.

Late Edit
I should add, it's not uncommon for the RAWR to be just the tire rating times 2, IDK how true this is for the new trucks, but it certainly is for mine. My RAWR is 6400, twice the 3200 that each stock tire was rated for. Does this mean that since Sterling(the axle maker) rates the axle higher(8000 IIRC), and cause I now have tires rated at 4000 that my new RAWR is 8000, technically no, functionally I say yes.
Actually, the sterling rear end is made by ford and not sterling trucks(which used to be owned by ford but was bought out back in the 90's). The rear end and axles are named sterling because they are built at the sterling heights plant, like the Windsor and Cleveland engines were manufactured at those plants. Sterling trucks were manufactured at the Ontario plant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterlin...e encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_10.5_axle

Last edited by phillips91; 09-15-2014 at 08:14 PM. Reason: looked up links
Old 09-15-2014, 07:44 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
My apologies since I used "haul" instead of "tow." You are correct, my truck with TOW 15900, not HAUL that much.

With that being said, do you disagree that the truck can comfortably tow 15900? You do raise a valid point that 4x4, diesel, crew cab, etc. do take away from the towing capacity. However, all that is factored into the 15900 already. If you look at the 2015 Super Duty Towing Capacity Chart (google it and you will find it) a SRW, 4x2, regular cab diesel will tow 16600. If you go to a Supercab it drops to 16300, and a crew cab is 15900. On the chart, it breaks everything down by engine type, model truck, SRW vs. DRW, cab type, etc.

Thus, I would tend to think that 15900 is in fact the towing capacity it is meant to tow. Does anyone disagree with this?

Not trying to break your chops, I figured you meant tow, not haul, but then you mentioned the tires, which would have little to do with what you can tow, providing that they have the capacity to support the GAWR and GCWR on the truck. So I just wanted to make sure

You are probably close enough to tow that much. You might look at the fine print, it is still a tow up to as your truck may have different options than the truck that Ford used to rate the total towing.

Of course since all the big points / options are covered, and my hat is off to Ford for doing that we are only talking at most a couple of hundred pounds. Also, Ford figures the towing with one person, (you might wonder how much that mythical person weighs) if you add people, a gooseneck or fifth wheel hitch, gear, etc, again that reduces the total available before exceeding the recommendation on the GCWR

For grins, here is the legal aspect, GWAR and GVWR are legal numbers, listed on the door jam "safety certification sticker", this is considered a legal document in the eyes of the law and cannot be changed* or modified* and they cannot legally be exceeded. However, the GCWR is but a suggestion by Ford, and is NOT listed on the safety certification sticker, so if you are over by a few hundred pounds, unless it is a grossly overloaded condition, not much can be said about that as it is only a recommended number.

So I am sure that your truck will tow that much if not more, just wanted to point out that the only way to figure out what exactly your truck will tow, providing you want to stay within the recommended GCWR is to weigh your particular truck, with the hitch and other gear that you will have installed and then subtract that weight from the listed recommended GCWR. Have a big bucket of chains you are carrying around, yup those also subtract from that recommended number. Many do not realize just how much this small stuff adds to the weight!

* Once the numbers are set, only a licensed vehicle modifier, such as a custom body builder or a motorhome manufacture or the like can rerate the figures on the safety compliance sticker, even then they cannot legally change the sticker as installed by Ford, they would add there own supplemental safety certification sticker. I make this a point as most people just do not realize that this is a binding legal document in the eyes of the law.

David

Old 09-15-2014, 07:50 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes.

To find your true towing capacity, first locate your Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) in your owners manual. This is the maximum allowable combined weight of the truck, trailer, and all passengers and cargo.

Next, take your truck to a certified scale and get it weighed with a full tank of fuel, yourself, any passengers that may be with you while towing, and anything else that may be hauled in the truck while towing.

Take this number and subtract it from your GCWR, and this will give you your true towing capacity.

Sent from my HTC ONE using IB AutoGroup

Old 09-15-2014, 08:08 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dmanlyr
For grins, here is the legal aspect, GWAR and GVWR are legal numbers, listed on the door jam "safety certification sticker", this is considered a legal document in the eyes of the law and cannot be changed* or modified* and they cannot legally be exceeded. However, the GCWR is but a suggestion by Ford, and is NOT listed on the safety certification sticker, so if you are over by a few hundred pounds, unless it is a grossly overloaded condition, not much can be said about that as it is only a recommended number.
Minor selfish hijack;

What's your take on exceeding that sticker, or it just plain missing on an older truck, for example the 90 in your signature? I think I read somewhere that the sticker changed and became a legal document after that truck was made.

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
I get the impression your getting a SRW CCLB 4WD? In this link that shows a payload of 3,680 with the 11,400 GVWR. That's rather limiting for a gooseneck, just need to be aware. All in all though, IMO the truck will tow what you have in mind just fine.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:18 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
BruteFord,

I have my 1990 licensed at 18k

460 / E40D, it had 3.54 gears, which carried a recommended 15k GCWR from Ford.

I switched to 4.10's which have a 18k combined rating from Ford.

Since GCWR numbers do not appear on the sticker, I am still in full compliance with what the safety compliance sticker says.

However, if and when GCWR numbers become legally binding like GAWR, GVWR then changing the gear ratio will be out to get the higher recommended rating, as it will only list the rating as built. when that happens I would have to have a licensed incomplete / custom body installer to rerate the truck.

I try to find those little loopholes when I can...

I do have to be careful though not to exceed the GAWR in the rear as well as the GVWR with the dump insert, I can load way more with my tractor (and then dump it easily) than the truck is rated for. Max hauling though was the idea, so I started with a regular cab 2wd truck, a 351w would have slightly more hauling capacity than the 460 as it weighs a little less (I would estimate that I am giving up 125-150 pounds of cargo capacity over the 351w), but it would have had a much less recommended GCWR than the 460 power, so it was a trade off.

One of the reasons I now have two larger dumps trucks - !

David

Old 09-15-2014, 09:54 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
I'm more concerned with RAWR and GVWR, it's real easy for me to get over 6400 on the rear axle.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:34 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
I'm more concerned with RAWR and GVWR, it's real easy for me to get over 6400 on the rear axle.

Yup, I understand, that is why I mentioned that. Can't get around the 6250 (my truck) pound rear axle capacity, and I do wish I had a F350 dually or F450 at times.

David

Old 09-16-2014, 05:09 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Stay within the axle ratings and the tire ratings.

Register for the weight/payload that will be on the truck.

Don't forget...drive the truck and enjoy.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:40 AM
venom50svt
New User
I have tried to read everything on this matter. I have entertained the purchase of a Gooseneck trailer but my GVW on the trailer cannot go over the 14,000 limit.
My 1999 4x4 7.3 crew cab dually is stickered 11,400 GVW on the door. For some reason, it is registered for 6800, and that is what the previous owner had it.. I have asked a DOT inspector and a NYS trooper about the 26k limit.. They have said the sticker on the door jamb and the trailer ID tag are the numbers they go by regardless what the truck is registered for.
They said many pickup trucks are registered for an amount but would probably over weight coming from Home Depot with a load of lumber or shingles such as my case..
The plan for me is to raise my individual truck registration to 11,400 and then shop around for a 14,000 trailer. This will put me under the combined weight limit of 26k. This will take care of personal use and maybe down the road a commercial situation.
I see in New York there are DOT signs for "TRUCK INSPECTION AHEAD"... That is very vague to me and I think it is a trap.. It usually means a truck over 10,001 (my experience) gross should stop and pull in. So my dually should pull in RIGHT!!!! I think a lot of things are left up to interpretation by the law... A cash cow piggy bank for sure......IMHO

Quick Reply: GVWR Questions on F-350