6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

DPF Cleaning every 50 to 60 miles??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:56 PM
abubba1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DPF Cleaning every 50 to 60 miles??

I have a 2008 F250 Lariat 4X4 with a 6.4 Powerstroke engine. The truck just turned 40K miles and strict maintenance has been performed religiously since I bought new. The truck is not a Walmart runner and has been used exclusively to pull a 13K pound fifth wheel travel trailer probably 2/3rds of the miles showing. During a recent 400 mile round trip over the hills in eastern TN the truck started “Cleaning Exhaust Filter” about every 50 to 60 miles traveled. The cleaning would continue for about 20 miles and then repeat again within the next 60 miles. Took it to my local small town dealership today and they found “no codes” stored in the computer. They kept the computer hooked up and drove the truck to see if anything would show up and it went back in to “Filter Cleaning” as soon as they left the dealership. They contacted Ford for advice and were told that pulling the heavy loads over the hills would cause the DPF to regen more frequently and frequent regens may be normal. The dealership is familiar with my truck, how I use and maintain it and didn’t agree with Ford’s "no advice". The tech said he had seen this problem once before and then was advised to change out the “Mass Flow Sensor” even though it was showing normal on the computer. He installed a new “Mass Flow Sensor” and the computer then indicated that the DPF was clean. My dealership told me drive the truck for a couple of weeks to make sure the fix corrects the problem before paying the bill (no warranty). I drove the truck solo, no trailer, up into the mountains today and put about 100 miles on the engine. As of this writing no “Filter Cleaning” has occurred. I’ll be pulling my trailer next week on a short 300 mile pull, we will see if I get normal regens like I did before this problem started, aprox every 200 miles, give or take. Have any of you guys heard of this problem and fix? Any other suggestions since no codes are showing up?

Old 09-11-2014, 05:18 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's probably a sensor somewhere, (sorry) just make sure until you get it fixed to keep an eye on the oil.
When I had regens mine would go 260 to 280 miles like clockwork.
One of our knowledgeable 6.4 masters will chime in I'm sure.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:04 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,448 Likes on 1,036 Posts
Correct on the assumption of a sensor issue.

If no oil growth, no sweet smell out the exhaust and no low coolant then I would opt to a sensor for the DPF as an issue.

Replace the one in front of the DPF. See what that does for you. Spray the old one down with some pb blaster in advance.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:20 AM
abubba1
Freshman User
Originally Posted by senix
Correct on the assumption of a sensor issue.

If no oil growth, no sweet smell out the exhaust and no low coolant then I would opt to a sensor for the DPF as an issue.

Replace the one in front of the DPF. See what that does for you. Spray the old one down with some pb blaster in advance.
Thanks Senix for the reply. I did ask the Tech at the dealership about the sensors associated with the DPF differential pressures and he said they checked OK. Would this front DPF sensor check OK and still be giving false readings? What do you think about the Tech changing the Mass Flow Sensor? He told me the DPF indicated "clean" after he changed it out. So far after a 100 miles of TN hill driving no cleaning has occurred with the new Mass Flow Sensor. Will try and drive more before my next outing with the fifth wheel.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:20 AM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may be wrong, but I thought most of the sensors in and around the DPF measured temperature only? I haven't had a DPF in 93,000 miles so I may be off.

Most of the cases in which a sensor in the exhaust has failed, it's caused immediate limp mode with engine shut down. The issue would be whatever sensor senses pressures.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:22 AM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the sensor is part #:8C3Z-9J460-B. That's the pressure sensor.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:41 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by RM2738
I may be wrong, but I thought most of the sensors in and around the DPF measured temperature only? I haven't had a DPF in 93,000 miles so I may be off.

Most of the cases in which a sensor in the exhaust has failed, it's caused immediate limp mode with engine shut down. The issue would be whatever sensor senses pressures.

Something about the sensors though may lead to excessive regens.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:43 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by abubba1
Thanks Senix for the reply. I did ask the Tech at the dealership about the sensors associated with the DPF differential pressures and he said they checked OK. Would this front DPF sensor check OK and still be giving false readings? What do you think about the Tech changing the Mass Flow Sensor? He told me the DPF indicated "clean" after he changed it out. So far after a 100 miles of TN hill driving no cleaning has occurred with the new Mass Flow Sensor. Will try and drive more before my next outing with the fifth wheel.

Certainly could be that. I'd say leave it alone and track the regens as before and see what you get.

I'd assume he did a manual regen there when he worked on it so it may take a few regens to see where you stand.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:14 AM
abubba1
Freshman User
Originally Posted by senix
Certainly could be that. I'd say leave it alone and track the regens as before and see what you get.

I'd assume he did a manual regen there when he worked on it so it may take a few regens to see where you stand.
Senix, I don't believe he did. The Tech talked about it when I brought it in but he wanted to drive it first and check the parameters while it was on the road. The truck went in to "exhaust cleaning" mode before he got it on the road and only 60 miles had elapsed since the last regen and the four before that. The filter was indicating "clean" before he left the shop. That's when he decided to call Ford-No-Advice for guidance before continuing. The dealership is letting me try the Mass Flow Sensor until I get back from my next trip to see if it takes care of the problem.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:53 AM
senix
Super Moderator
If it still has an issue after you drive it some more then I would ask for those dpf sensors to be switch out as well.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:32 PM
abnrngr1986
Freshman User
Originally Posted by abubba1
I have a 2008 F250 Lariat 4X4 with a 6.4 Powerstroke engine. The truck just turned 40K miles and strict maintenance has been performed religiously since I bought new. The truck is not a Walmart runner and has been used exclusively to pull a 13K pound fifth wheel travel trailer probably 2/3rds of the miles showing. During a recent 400 mile round trip over the hills in eastern TN the truck started “Cleaning Exhaust Filter” about every 50 to 60 miles traveled. The cleaning would continue for about 20 miles and then repeat again within the next 60 miles. Took it to my local small town dealership today and they found “no codes” stored in the computer. They kept the computer hooked up and drove the truck to see if anything would show up and it went back in to “Filter Cleaning” as soon as they left the dealership. They contacted Ford for advice and were told that pulling the heavy loads over the hills would cause the DPF to regen more frequently and frequent regens may be normal. The dealership is familiar with my truck, how I use and maintain it and didn’t agree with Ford’s "no advice". The tech said he had seen this problem once before and then was advised to change out the “Mass Flow Sensor” even though it was showing normal on the computer. He installed a new “Mass Flow Sensor” and the computer then indicated that the DPF was clean. My dealership told me drive the truck for a couple of weeks to make sure the fix corrects the problem before paying the bill (no warranty). I drove the truck solo, no trailer, up into the mountains today and put about 100 miles on the engine. As of this writing no “Filter Cleaning” has occurred. I’ll be pulling my trailer next week on a short 300 mile pull, we will see if I get normal regens like I did before this problem started, aprox every 200 miles, give or take. Have any of you guys heard of this problem and fix? Any other suggestions since no codes are showing up?
what sensor? was it the MAF

Old 09-11-2014, 08:13 PM
73fan
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by abnrngr1986

what sensor? was it the MAF
MAF=mass air flow. A sensor in the intake tube that monitors the quantity of air inhaled.

Sent from Nexus 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 09-11-2014, 09:45 PM
abnrngr1986
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 73fan
MAF=mass air flow. A sensor in the intake tube that monitors the quantity of air inhaled.

Sent from Nexus 4. IB AutoGroup
that's what i thought. Mine has been regenerating at 120 miles unloaded and 55-60 loaded with my camper since new. It is a 2008 4x4 350 dually with only 52k on the odometer. The last time i drove it , it was regenerating at 25-30 miles with the camper. 4 regens in a row on the highway

Old 09-12-2014, 04:04 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I see your from Texas, I'd loose that thing right away, should not be regening that often, or get to the dealer and leave it there until they fix it. Check your oil often to make sure your not making a lot of oil, could spell big trouble.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:06 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Regens in a 6.4 unloaded normally should be somewhere around 200 all the way up to over 500 miles. Ford does not say exactly what is normal.

Load and towing changes a lot so you can't base it off of towing. Typically with my 5th wheel it was around 90-120 miles apart.

Quick Reply: DPF Cleaning every 50 to 60 miles??